DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-22-2010, 11:04 PM

Default How do I set up my electric drums in the same way as an acoustic kit?

I have wanted to be a drummer since I was 11 years old, I have wanted to drum for bands for that long too, but I have never had the money, and I live in a small three bedroom council estate in England, with five people in it.

But now at age 20 lol, I have finally been able to get my hands on an electric drum kit, a Yamaha DTXplorer.

I have been trying to set it up to resemble an acoustic kit, as best I can, let me explain...

I know the size difference between the too is big, and I know the sounds are different, but I want to set it up to have the same heights and the same distances of the drums apart as a regular rock drum kit.

Like, how tall is a hi-hat, how big is a bass drum, and how high up are the toms when on top of the bass drum, stuff like that.

I am mainly having problems with setting up the hi-hat and the snare drum to work with each other.
When ever I see drummers drumming with both the snare and the hi-hat, they seem to have their wrists crossed, and when I have set my drums up I never have them set up where I can drum with those two with my wrists crossed.

I know I will never have it set up perfectly as an acoustic rock kit, but I want to get it as near as possible, because I plan on getting behind one of those in a band soon enough, and I don't want to have spent all this time practising with this thing, then have to learn all over again.

I know that drummers set up their kits to their comfort, but I just need the standard heights and set ups of an acoustic kit, then I can slightly alter them to my confort after setting them at the right heights and such.

Cheers
Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 PM

Default Re: How do I set up my electric drums in the same way as an acoustic kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKULTRA View Post
I know that drummers set up their kits to their comfort, but I just need the standard heights and set ups of an acoustic kit, then I can slightly alter them to my confort after setting them at the right heights and such.

Cheers
I wouldn't worry about looking standard too much. I read/heard that it's best to keep your shins at a 90 degree angle with the floor. So your feet can be however you want them, but your legs should be straight. You know what I mean? Playing hi-hat with your left hand and snare with your right is not a problem at all. A lot of good drummers do this. Here is a video of a drummer that uses an electric kit and plays like how you described.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bc46TXd6ok

He uses his ride cymbal on his left side as well. This way, he is able to keep using his right hand on the snare.

Now on to your hi-hat height. You can put that at any height you want. (Although I suggest a few inches minimum over the snare drum). A lot of latin style drummers keep a low hi-hat, a lot of rock drummers keep a reasonably higher one. It's all your choice. and For snare drum, make it so it's a few inches over your thighs but not too high. You want to hit it at an angle that makes it so your fingers do not hit the rim.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How do I set up my electric drums in the same way as an acoustic kit?

Don't force any setups that aren't comfortable, you risk injury, or at the least, greater fatigue.