DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Sonor 400 series hardware

Hi all, new guy here.

I've done a search for this and nothing in particular comes up, so here goes...

I've been an on-off pro drummer for most of my life having played in bands for Disneyland, and doing lots of casuals and weddings around southern California, and at the age of 44, I'm slowing down a bit but am shopping for a new kit (my current occupation is as an audio technician for the Disney company - something that evolved over my time there). I've owned DW, Ludwig, Gretsch, Yamaha, Tama, Rogers - all the top of the line stuff. I've never owned Sonor and am looking forward to trying one of their Force 3007 kits (I can't really justify an SQ2 or a Delite kit).

One of the things I've learned over the last 20 years is that I tend to sound the same on any kit - so I'm hoping when Tony Williams said he can make any kit sound OK - that I took that to heart long ago too! Hence, the Force 3007 choice - and besides, I'm not playing out as much as I used to and having access to the great folks at Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood means there isn't a part I couldn't find or something I couldn't borrow (they even built me a bass drum once, that the great Carlos Vega played in the shop and loved!).

But my question is this, anyone have any specific opinions on the 400 series hardware? I read one review of them and it said they were adequate, but not out-right inspiring. I suppose in my little world here, using all things Sonor would be unique, so I thought I'd give that a try too. I currently have DW 9000 pedals and although great, I swear I don't need stuff that adds an unnecessary 30 pounds to my trap case. My cymbal stands are currently Ludwig's flat-based stands, so going Sonor would be an upgrade.

But would it be worth it? Anything striking about Sonor hardware that makes you users swear by it? Anything unexpectedly break on you during a gig that you have to keep fixing?

I only ask, because Sonor doesn't exactly show up in the Guitar Centers here, and even at Pro Drum they're rare. But some of my favorite drummers play (or have played) Sonor - DeJohnette, Will Kennedy, and Calhoun back in the day....

Hope to hear from some of you!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Sonor 400 series hardware

From my personal experience, the cymbal boom stands are pretty disappointing. In all the cases I've used them, the cymbal sleeves never don't quite fit on the stand, so unless you have your top wing nut screwed on tight, the cymbal sleeve will tilt with the cymbal as you play it. The stands are also quite heavy, and the boom stands don't convert into straight stands like, for example, the Gibraltar 5600 boom stands.

Other than that, the hardware is pretty solid in my opinion. It's not very easy to get the tom mounts and angles locked in to place (you really have to screw the wing nut tight), but once you get it locked, and you have memory locks in place, then you're set. One downside is that it's not very easy to get the mounts very low off the bass drum, so if you like low toms, then you may have to mount it differently.

If you can get the 400 series hardware as a bundle and for cheap, then I'd get it. Otherwise, I'd look into getting some Tama or Gibraltar hardware (especially their boom stands).
Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 AM

Sonor stands are ok.
The I have the 400 series "old" stands. The cymbal boom arms are plain (without the carved surface for firm grip), however they hold really solid and don't slip.

The new 400 series is much better and has a few things taken from the over priced 600 series:
Now the 400 stands have the following holding system

and the boom arms are finally with a carved surface and can be folded into the stand (before it had a different construction and took additional space while folded).

Hope this helps.

BTW I have a 3005 kit and I'm totally happy with it. The sound beatiful for a non high end kit.
Although I can afford to buy a more expensive kit, I don't wan't to because this kit actually fits all my requirements.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 AM

I own some Sonor 400 series hardware. It's ok, nothing great. I do feel that it's unnecessarily heavy for my use. I much prefer Yamaha 700 series single braced stands. I think that it's built better and it's much lighter. I do love my Sonor drums though.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the tips. I'm still on the fence about replacing all my hardware, it is an option. I just figured if I was going to do some spring cleaning and get a new kit, let's get rid of all the older stuff too.

But you know what? I really like how all three of my Ludwig flat-based cymbal stands, Yamaha 7 series snare stand, and Tama Iron cobra Jr. and lightweight Tama hi-hat stand can all fit into my diminuitive trap case along with a Roc n Soc throne (the only heavy thing in there). In a way, they draw more attention to the drums because you hardly see the extra chrome, and they are still in great shape after ten years. Maybe I'll look at the Sonor 200 series, with straight cymbal stands if I even do this.

BTW - I just put my DW 9000 and pedal and hat stand up on eBay if anyone is looking.

I think I'll love the drums as soon as I get them, too!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 PM

The 200 series are pretty good value for the cost.
Just gotta be careful to not over tighten
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 PM

I would echo WLOEB's comment,having owned the Sonor 200 series and the Yamaha 700 single braced hardware -The Yamaha is outstanding,for the size and weight,if portability is your goal.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

I agree with u guys about the Yamaha hardware. The 700 series is nice and light and it just won't fail.

The sonor 200 series stuff isn't too bad from what I here. I don't think the hi hat stand has a swivelling bass tho. So it may be hard to get a double pedal tucked in there. The 400 series HH stand is a great step up from the 200 series HH stand.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

You three last posters realize you just answered a two-and-a-half-year-old post, right?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

LOL. Yea, I gatta start reading the dates. I usually look at the lastest posts and reply if they're interesting.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 AM

I plead the 5th.60 years old.