DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Buying and Selling . .

Every time I sell something on Craig's List, it comes with a story. The other day I sold something and the guy gets back to me with a complaint 1 hour before the item arrived at his house. Said it didn't work, and then phones me to say he didn't get it.

Now someone sent me a link to play a video from Flv video and the software had a trojan. I sent her back an e mail F%^& Y*&^!!!! I really knew better. It always sounds too good to be true. How much do you want for that snare drum? 5,000 bucks!! Okay, I'll be over in an hour with a money order. I really want it today. I've sold a couple of things on CL and got a couple of gigs. But they are like diamonds in a saw mill.

It's a scammer's world.

My mom wants to get on the internet and I won't let her. They got a letter a few weeks back stating that they won $1,000,000 but have to pay the tax bill before they'll get the check, and those people have been hounding and calling them for that tax bill. They notified the DA's office. It will be a sorry day for them if they come face to face with me.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Buying and Selling . .

I buy and sell stuff fairly regularly. I call it "catch and release". I like to play around with drums and cymbals and then sell them to students or put them back on craigslist when I'm done. It's like renting, but often times I'll make a small profit. I get to check things out first-hand this way, and not just at a music store. I've taken many great-sounding cymbals out on gigs, only to find out that they don't cut/project/blend/sound good after all.

What I see a LOT of lately is people buying things just to flip them. I've sold several snares/cymbals/kits, only to see them reappear on craigslist the next day, with a higher price. There are a few people who I've sold stuff to regularly that do this, and I make a game of it: "How much will they sell this for when they re-list it tonight?" These are also the same people that will try to low-ball you to no end to maximize their profit. I don't let 'em...I know what the stuff is worth on the used market, and I buy low and sell low (unless it's something that's harder to come by that I actually will want to keep). The main problem for them is that they try to sell things for what the used market value was 5 years ago or so, but things just don't sell for as much as they used to.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

yeap, why i only do local sell / buys off craigslist & keep the nationwide stuff to eBay where u have some more protection.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Gold Member

I just bought a cymbal from an online store and I am having difficulty getting the guy to ship it. He has only responded to my emails after I threatened to escalate his inaction (other than taking my PayPal payment) to PayPal and eBay. Prior to this threat I wrote many emails and told him that if there is a problem to inform me so that we can work it out. I was trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. His eventual response was that there was a death in the family and that I should chill. He told me he would ship in two days. Let's see.

Once this is settled, should I name and shame?

GJS
Old 06-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Name and shame ?. . . Please do.

I have even had trouble with Ebay. I sold a guitar and the guy paid too much for it. But he had to have it and bought it through BIN. Then when he got he, he e mailed me that it was damaged in shipping. His friend could fix it for 75 bucks. I said send me the bill and I'll repay you. I never heard from him again. it wasn't an unfair price, It's just that with a little shopping he could have gotten it for about a hundred dollars less. But that is what BIN is for. A no hassle end of sale. .This guy the other day calls at home to tell me the item is damaged and then calls to ask me when I am gong to ship it. I think he wanted to scam UPS. I called him on it and didn't hear from him again.

There is always two sides to every story. Beauty is the sales that goes by without a hitch. Smooth, and I never want to talk to the guy, esp not on my home phone. We always hear about some guy who sold a $1200 drum for $200. But what about the guy who actually pays what the item is worth, or the seller who actually gets what he deserves. Is that such a sin? lol