DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 06-11-2011, 09:18 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Birthday Surprise

So, it was my Birthday last week and my other half decided to go to great lengths to arrange something for me. I had no idea what it was until this morning when I found out that she had booked tickets for us to go to the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden to go and see a set of ballet performances - including just about my favourite piece of music, The Rite of Spring by Stravinsky.

It was absolutely stunning. I spent half of the performance in tears, the other half in awe of the cacophony of sound from the orchestra and the rest at the angry, violent and grotesque choreography. An absolutely amazing spectacle and one I will never forget.

Have any of you ever had something similar?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Birthday Surprise

Great stuff, Duncan, and happy birthday! I'm always amazed at people who have the sensitivity and connectedness to be moved to tears by music, which I only ever did when I was little.

The only orchestra I've seen was when a friend was given tickets to see the Brandenburg Orchestra. The sounds and textures were lovely but sooo quiet - staying silent was murder. I remember struggling to take off my heels (which were killing me) without making a sound on the wooden floor of the recital hall and at the end of a particularly long piece half the audience broke out in a fit of coughing and throat clearing, stored up while the band was playing.

Alas, I'm not very civilised :)
Old 06-12-2011, 03:53 AM
Gold Member

That is a fantastic surprise MFB. I know that feeling. A few years ago my wife surprised me with Dave Sanborn tickets, I was in tears immediately. Been listening to his stuff since the ripe age of 12 and finally got to see him. Glad you had an excellent evening.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
So, it was my Birthday last week and my other half decided to go to great lengths to arrange something for me. I had no idea what it was until this morning when I found out that she had booked tickets for us to go to the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden to go and see a set of ballet performances - including just about my favourite piece of music, The Rite of Spring by Stravinsky.

It was absolutely stunning. I spent half of the performance in tears, the other half in awe of the cacophony of sound from the orchestra and the rest at the angry, violent and grotesque choreography. An absolutely amazing spectacle and one I will never forget.

Have any of you ever had something similar?
My wife and I got married on December 26th. Once for our anniversary, I got us tickets to the Nutcracker by the Washington DC Ballet Company. An amazing show. We came out of the matinee and across the street was the car show. You guessed it, all gussied up looking at the latest hot rods.

We had more fun at the car show.

Happy Birthday.