DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 PM

Default HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Changing Tom Batters!

oh god - im in way over my head here guys.
i just recently decided to change the batters on the toms of my Premier APK kit. i had Aquarian Performance II's on it before, but was using the Aquarian studio rings to muffle them a little. i was fairly satisfied with the sound - then the heads started going dead.
So, here i am, knee deep in heads, trying to decide what to put on, but not wanting to splash out on a full set for all 3 toms until i have made a decision.

So far Ive decided i want to go with Evans - but theres so much talk of EC2 and G2 and all these terms that mean nothing to me.

Basically, i play rock/hard rock music,i have a premier APK kit. i want a fat, deep sound with controlled resonance and sustain - i just want that "boof" that sends your blood pumping.

So really the decision is between EC2, G1 and G2 - coated or clear - so far.
What would you guys recommend.
Thanks a lot,

Tom
Old 06-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Changing Tom Batters!

Try the EC1. The EC1 is a 14 mil single-ply head with an Edge Control ring mounted on the underside to produce a warm and dense sound, with improved balance between attack and sustain. The extra thickness offers a significant increase in durability compared to traditional singly-ply heads.
Right now I'm using G Plus heads. Using an exclusive 12mil film made especially for Evans, the G-Plus delivers the open and warm tone of a traditional single-ply while the added thickness provides increased durability, attack, projection, and a dense and centered pitch that other single-ply heads lack.
I prefer a thicker single ply over a 2ply head. They tend to stay lively longer in my opinion. I think you would be happy with the EC1. I've tried them and thought they were a little too muffled. They sound like what you're looking for, though.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

You had studio rings on your Performance IIs?! Dang...how did that sound? That sounds like almost too much muffling. If the heads sounded like they were starting to go dead, just tune them back up slightly; that should bring them back to life.

If you are really after "a fat, deep sound with controlled resonance and sustain that 'boofs'" then put some new Performance IIs on there...without the studio rings. What you hear at the kit is vastly different from what the audience hears.

If you're set on Evans, you might go with the EC2s. The G2 (standard 2-ply) might be too 'open' for you.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:03 AM

Two ply heads are more durable, and will last longer than one ply heads. What condition are the resonant heads in? You might be surprised how much of a difference changing them can make.

I'd suggest getting clear G2's for the batters, as to me they are the most versatile. As brady said, it sounds like you're using A LOT of muffling right now, which might indicate that you're not very good at tuning. Get a friend/your teacher over to show you how to tune properly, it really is a VERY important skill.

Also, if you get a nice unmuffled head like a G2, you can always muffle it later if the situation requires. If you get EC2's or similar and then decide you need them tuned wide open for a gig, you're going to have to get a whole new set of heads.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 AM

cheers guys :)
yeh, im not too great at tuning yet - its a world i havent really ventured into that deeply - possibly because i had so much muffling, there was no need to.
i have a G2 coated, so i think ill buy either an ec1 or 2 to try out, and then make the decision from there.
just one more question, which of those would be best - ec1 or ec2?
also - what would be best - clear or coated?
thanks again for the help :)
Old 06-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

i have a premier APK kit. i want a fat, deep sound

I for one sure miss the old clear two ply PREMIER heads made out of Melinex, they 'were' a real big part of PREMIER'S sound IMO, seemed a little softer than their Mylar counterparts, fatter sound.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 PM

Hey Tom,

Go out and get yourself one of the clear 2 ply Evans EC2, or newer model EC2 SST heads for your toms. Preferably a 12" or larger, for a true test of their sound. I do know how to tune my drums, and for a great rock/hard rock sound I'm using the older EC2s. Yes, the G2s are great drum heads. There is no arguing the fact that G2s are more "open" and therefore offer a greater range of sonic choices. However, for my current playing needs, the EC2s work perfectly. A lot of players are quick to dismiss the EC2s as a lesser quality drum head, just because it's pre-muffled. Unfortunately, they are simply overlooking the fact that for certain styles and situations, the EC2s fit the bill quite nicely.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

^^ Best thing to do when itching for new heads is to narrow your list of candidates down to 2 or 3, then buy one of each for your 12" tom. Try them out one after the other and it will give you a pretty good idea of what a full kit of them will sound like without spending a fortune.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 PM

^^ I agree with drumtechdad. This is a good method.