DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 PM

Default Gibraltar Super Spanner

Hi All,

I recently acquired a Gibraltar Super Spanner rack tube. The issue is with the "tube". I am not a "hard" player and my toms slowly slip on this tube. Rack Toms 87,108,129, not that big? Problem is when I crank them down the leave little dimples in the tube. :(

I am wondering is this normal? Is Gibraltar junk? Any solutions you have found?

My question as to why Pearl makes square racks is now answered. Pearl I am sorry for any bad-mouthing I may have done.....

Thanks!

W,
Premier Signia, Zildjian, Paiste, DW Pedals, Yamaha Hardware, Roland Electronics
Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gibraltar Super Spanner

Super Spanner is a curved tube, unfortunately the clamps are not curved as well, so cranking them too much will damage the tube.

Try ruffing-up the insides of the clamp surfaces with steel wool and lube the clamp screws for ease of turning. Don't over tighten.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Are you using memory locks?

I've used Tama/Gibralter racks on and off for years, and hit very hard, and have never had an issue with slippage as long as I have a memory lock on each clamp.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the comments. No I wasn't using memory locks and the curved rack with a regular clamp makes sense. Luckily the dealer took it back, even though it was beyond the return date. Now I am looking towards Pearl. Thanks again!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

If Yamaha's Hex Rack were still available, I would recommend that. I've got one and nothing on it slips. I really like it.
The Pearl Icon is a great rack as well. I'm sure you won't have issues with slipping and they look cool. Make sure to upload some pics when you get it up and running.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

I hit hard, Have a PDP/Gibraltar setup. A memory lock on each joint/drum. Slippage, none. Never, not one time, I can force it but it literally takes me bearing my weight with both hands to move something. The toms are mounted on a curved front tube....not a dimple, bend...nothing.

Sorry you had a bad apple, so it seems. Hopefully you'll have a better experience with the Icon.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Super Spanner is a curved tube, unfortunately the clamps are not curved as well, so cranking them too much will damage the tube.

Try ruffing-up the insides of the clamp surfaces with steel wool and lube the clamp screws for ease of turning. Don't over tighten.
Absolute rubbish, Les. My Gibraltar rack seen here is all curved horizontal bars, and I only use memory locks for the actual pipe connections and for the rack tom holder because I have it leaning toward me. Nothing else has memory locks, including my ride cymbal holder which also has my 14" tom hanging on it. The only reason these clamps ever slip is when users don't tighten them enough. I admit, one needs to put a little muscle to it if not using a memory lock, but it's not like I strain with my face turning red & veins popping up, haha! Over-tightening will strip the clamps and isn't necessary anyway. When sufficiently tightened, nothing slips, ever, nor are the pipes damaged in any way. Pearl did indeed settle the issue with the square bars, but they're heavier.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 PM

Thanks all for your input. I almost snagged a Yamaha Hex-rack for 200 US new, the smaller version, but I lost track of time and someone else got it.

So, now I am concerned about weight. I am thinking of just getting a couple more Yamaha booms and some clamps. I just want to minimize the amount of s**t I have to move around. And that doesn't do it really. I also refuse to mount my toms on my current kit. (Premier Signia) If I had a little 4 piece I wouldn't care, ya know?

So, new question, perhaps warrants a new thread.....To rack or not to rack? 10,12, toms 4-5 boom arms of two sizes. I am in a total mess in my head over the setup. When I am out I like playing a four piece due to ease of moving. In the studio at home I love and always play the six piece. I play the same cymbal set either way. It can be a pain at times not having my 8 or my 10 or 12. I usually do a 10,16 or 12,16 combo with kick(of course). I know that sounds tonally strange but I make it work and the Signia's do sound fantastic.

My latest thought, although certainly not cost conscious is:
Keeping my Signia racked at home, for recording and such. (also taking out for the bigger gigs) Then getting a "cheapy" 4 piece to tote around to bars and smaller gigs.

The Signia is a heavy beast, esp. the kick (ugh).

In that vain any recommendations on a good little kit to gig around with? Or your thoughts in general? Thanks all........
Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGR8DCVER View Post
Keeping my Signia racked at home, for recording and such. (also taking out for the bigger gigs) Then getting a "cheapy" 4 piece to tote around to bars and smaller gigs.

The Signia is a heavy beast, esp. the kick (ugh).

In that vain any recommendations on a good little kit to gig around with? Or your thoughts in general? Thanks all........
You could try out the Gretsch Catalina Club Series. Not really "cheapy" but they're pretty cost effective. I have a five piece "Rock" and it sounds great even with my schlocky tuning.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ack?sku=483249

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ack?sku=445677

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ack?sku=584710
Old 07-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Gold Member

I created a "super spanner" kinda thing from just using one rack pipe going from the bass drum's tom mount to a cymbal stand. All it does is work perfectly and no slippage! (though I'm not hanging any big heavy toms off of it)
billbachman.net
Old 07-04-2010, 05:54 PM

I like the Hi-Hat device Bill. I too find it easier to play a bit more "in-front" than to cross. Perhaps when I get some extra coin I will try one....

So I've decided to go rack. Many thanks for all of your input. I will upload some pics once she's up and running. Happy 4th all!