DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-25-2010, 10:47 PM

Default is it true about G2s? help!

ok. I've gotten into Aquarian heads and was liking them alot. But heres the thing. I live in Ireland and there seems to be very limited stock.

I stopped by my drum dealer the other day to order a new bass drum head. He told me that he hadn't got it in stock and he can't order it for me as he won't be dealing in Aquarian anymore.

It seems he took on Aquarian to see how they would do over here. They seem to have sold very poorly. Since it costs him extra to ship them over it hasn't been worth his while. So once the last heads go...that's it. Apparantly there's another drum dealer here that has had the same problem and they are also dropping them.

It looks like it's gonna be very hard to get my hands on the heads I like.

He said I should look at changing to Remo. But so many guys have told me to stay away from Remo because they have problems with their coated heads.

I play Sonor as you can tell by name. I played G2s on a Delite one time and they sounded and felt great. I think I'd rather go with Evans than Remo. But I've heard that G2s don't last very long....that you might get a month or two...but after that the tone dies and they're useless...how true is this?

I think a good head should last a good 6-8 months at the very least. Do G2s last this long?

If not G2 then how about the EC1? I played the EC2 before and it's too dead. Is the EC1 a bit more open? And do they last?

SonorPlayer
Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: is it true about G2s? help!

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I've been using the same coated G2s on my tom batters since 2007 and I think they sound great. I've changed snare and kick drum heads I-don't-know-how-many-times (changed actual snare drums for that matter) and even changed all my cymbals at least once since then, but for what ever reason , I haven't found it necessary to change my tom heads (because they sound killer?). Go figure!

By the way, I've had similar success with Remo Emperors. They're actually my default heads. I was only experimenting with the G2s and can't really say I like one over the other for toms and snares. But I much prefer a Remo PS3 over any Evans kick drum head, FWIW.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorplayer View Post
But I've heard that G2s don't last very long....that you might get a month or two...but after that the tone dies and they're useless...how true is this?
They WILL last you longer than a couple of months, under "normal" playing conditions......trust me (for that matter so will Remo). If Evans heads only lasted a month, they wouldn't be walking off the shelves in droves like they do.....really.

FWIW, I use Remo heads for the most part and whilst the coating does come off over time (show me a head where it doesn't), in over 25 years I've never seen the disaster stories that I read on the forums. Most of the time I put these sorts of horror stories down to brand loyalty......people prefer what they're used to and won't be persuaded to use another product. That's fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean the competition is not up to the job either. Buy one of each and make up your own mind, I'd suggest.

Both are quality heads.....neither company would be so universally respected if they continually sold rubbish.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I've been using the same coated G2s on my tom batters since 2007.
No joke, I believe MikeM on this. I had my last set of G2s on for well over a year and EC2s for almost 2years. I always tune as low as possible so I know that helps with the longevity. I only replaced them because I went into studio to record.

I can honestly say that with care, the G2 and EC2 heads have outlasted any other head that I have used. There are plenty of drummers on here that will attest to how good these heads are. I have put these heads through full Metal sets 3 nights a week and they perform extremely well.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:57 AM
"Uncle Larry"

The G2's are a more open sounding head than the equivalent Remo to my ear. More overtones. So I'm an Evans guy. And they last just as long as Remos and sound good to the end. I've taken off dished out heads that still sounded good. The coating coming off...there's alot of factors that can influence that and a few bad experiences does not a bad head make. Or something like that.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 AM
audiotech

There's really no set time that a head will last on any particular kit. It all has to do with how they are tuned, the players sticking technique, the type of sticks or brushes they use, the type of music they play and also the type of head. I was a Remo user for over forty five years before I started using Evans heads and I switch for one particular reason, the snare head coatings. I was getting good service from Remos coating, but it has at least doubled using the Evans coated heads. The G2 heads sound great in my experience. I have G2 clear batter heads on two of my kits, G2 coated on one and G1 coated on the other. They retain their live resonant sound and to my ear sound as good or better than their Remo counterparts. I'm not saying that I'll never give Remo another try, but right now I'm perfectly satisfied with what Evans has to offer.

Dennis
Old 05-26-2010, 06:13 AM
Silver Member

I've heard from Evans themselves (obviously) but, more importantly, from other drummers on here that G2's are meant to be amongst Evans' most durable heads. I think the dead sound you're talking about may be from that fact that after about a month or two, heads or any type tend to 'settle in' and don't sound quite so harsh. Also take into consideration that G2's generally have a shorter sustain and then this may be why you think they've lost their tone.
xoxo
Old 05-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Using GS's with no issues. Love them!
Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post

FWIW, I use Remo heads for the most part and whilst the coating does come off over time (show me a head where it doesn't), in over 25 years I've never seen the disaster stories that I read on the forums. Most of the time I put these sorts of horror stories down to brand loyalty......people prefer what they're used to and won't be persuaded to use another product.
I agree. In 32 years with Remo I have never had a problem.

I tried Evans and they are okay but do not feel alive to me.

I also have been told by a drummer mate in Ireland that they are cheaper to stock in that country than Remo or others and this is why Evans is pushed there.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
I also have been told by a drummer mate in Ireland that they are cheaper to stock in that country than Remo or others and this is why Evans is pushed there.
I've heard that as well - that Dupont makes the mylar for both Remo and Evans heads (among others) but also that Dupont owns Remo, and Remo and Evans aren't friendly with each other. The sheets that Dupont mylar is made into are pretty wide and are most consistent up the middle with the most variation in thickness toward the edges of the sheet.

Allegedly Remo (and Aquarian) gets the center cuts and Evans gets the edge cuts, so from a mylar perspective (what else is there?) Evans are inferior right outta the gate.

This info came to me from a long-time drum shop owner who said that Evans are pushed at drumshops because their wholesale prices are much cheaper so the profit margins are a lot higher (retail pricing being about the same as Remo).

Anyway, my G2s have been on my toms for 3 years. If I tried for a lower tuning, I would need to replace them for sure, but they're cranked up almost Stewart Copeland tight at the moment so the fact that they're old gives them a mellower tone at this tuning.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Administrator

I played G2s on a Delite one time and they sounded and felt great.

This is your quote. How long did they last? what was your experience with them? I have them on my Renowns and they seem to last as long as any.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Gold Member

My new kit will get G2 clears over EC resonants. Tried and true combo for me.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I've heard that as well - that Dupont makes the mylar for both Remo and Evans heads (among others) but also that Dupont owns Remo, and Remo and Evans aren't friendly with each other. The sheets that Dupont mylar is made into are pretty wide and are most consistent up the middle with the most variation in thickness toward the edges of the sheet.

Allegedly Remo (and Aquarian) gets the center cuts and Evans gets the edge cuts, so from a mylar perspective (what else is there?) Evans are inferior right outta the gate.

This info came to me from a long-time drum shop owner who said that Evans are pushed at drumshops because their wholesale prices are much cheaper so the profit margins are a lot higher (retail pricing being about the same as Remo).

Anyway, my G2s have been on my toms for 3 years. If I tried for a lower tuning, I would need to replace them for sure, but they're cranked up almost Stewart Copeland tight at the moment so the fact that they're old gives them a mellower tone at this tuning.
Dupont owns Remo? Not that I can find so far
Old 05-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Pioneer Member

I find Evans more consistent than Remo, however I prefer the sound and feel of Remo heads. All the Evans heads I've ever had tend to lose their tone before the actual head wears out. As for coating, the Evans coating is smoother to begin with which I can't stand for brush playing. I find Remo heads to have a nice colorful musical character while Evans tend to sound boxy, have a sharp attack, and remind me of electronic drum sounds. The Evans G1s are fine though and would be the only heads I would use of theirs. G2s are a very different sound so if you like them, choose them. Another unique head I've found recently is the Remo Ebony Pinstripe. It's made of a 10mil and 5mil plies with the Ebony film so it doesn't sound or feel quite like the regular Pinstripes. I think it has more tone, especially over Clear Diplomats. Just a suggestion though...
Old 05-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I did a little reading on this last time I heard this. Dupont owns a 40% stake in Remo but does not own the company entirely. I found this on a press release from 2003 (I believe?) I'll try to find the link again, if I can.

However, there's no indication (to me) that the quality of the Mylar is any less than that which is found in Remo heads. If anything, Evans has better QA and turns out better heads, overall...since they're more consistent.

I've only been drumming for 3.5 yrs. and I've had all sorts of bad Remo heads. Emperors with coating that didn't last 10 minutes of *light* playing, dead heads with no tone at all and just could not be tuned, bad bass drum heads that wouldn't seat correctly and tune up.

I love the PS3, too, which is why I've stuck w/ Remo. I've got an EQ4 and EQ1 (reso) on the way and I've got some coated G2s that have lasted for about 2 yrs. I'm going to slap those on my Classic Maples and probably stick w/ Evans for a little while. The EQ4 sounds excellent and is very similar to a PS3.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Where did this info come from? Sounds like a load of hog wash to me.
Evans is owned by DiAdario not Dupont, and Remo is it's own corporation.
If there's some insider info, with documentation someone could show that's one thing, but what that person told you sounds like a load.

Aquarian uses a different type of film altogether from Remo and Evans.

Maybe back in the mid-90's Aquarian used the same film--it was more durable for me back then and was brighter sounding--but around '99, or '00, or '01, they totally changed the film they used to make heads to a 'warmer' sounding film no one else used.

They did it specifically for the warmer sound, and because it sounded more like calf heads.

Mylar comes in a roll and it's the same thickness all the way (or at least 90% all the way) across or NO ONE would buy it. ISO and all that...

Companies aren't going to purchase and inferior product "doled out" by someone.

The huge rolls are cut into squares by whatever company is making the heads themselves. It's not sold in sheets.
There are sereral YouTube clips that show how heads are made by all three companies, all showing the rolls and all showing the cutting.

Makes for a good sci-fi, black helicopter, buy it after hours on the docks "if you know what's good for you" kind of story though.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
Dupont owns Remo? Not that I can find so far
I looked and can't find that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I did a little reading on this last time I heard this. Dupont owns a 40% stake in Remo but does not own the company entirely. I found this on a press release from 2003 (I believe?) I'll try to find the link again, if I can.
A 40% stake is still a stake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Where did this info come from? Sounds like a load of hog wash to me.
Evans is owned by DiAdario not Dupont, and Remo is it's own corporation.
I never said that Evans was owned Dupont, just to be clear.

As I said, this was told to me by a drumshop owner here in town that everyone knows, who has a lot of contacts on the mfg side of the business and this is just what he told me.

I have no axe to grind with Evans (read my earlier posts in this thread) and in retrospect, without firsthand knowledge of what I was told, or any way to verify any of it, I should have kept my mouth shut (or stifled my fingers, or whatever).

My bad.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member

Mouth shut? Nah, if Dupont has a 40% stake in a company they sell a lot of product to, it's pretty smart actually.
If I came off sounding dicky, it wasn't my intent--more skeptical than anything.
Hey, if a shop owner, especially if they've been around a while hears things.
One company getting "not the best part" is pretty questionable though.

Pushing a product that has a bigger profit ratio is just good business--and Evans products aren't junk either haha!

But, I've been told things by a manufacturer of one of these companies too. I won't say what, because it was pretty harsh.
Lets just say there's no love between a drum company head, and a drum head manufacturer, and a couple other things too that were pretty eye opening.

Well, that's what happens between business rivals. Like the old days between Ludwig and Slingerland...
Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post

I've only been drumming for 3.5 yrs. and I've had all sorts of bad Remo heads. Emperors with coating that didn't last 10 minutes of *light* playing, dead heads with no tone at all and just could not be tuned, bad bass drum heads that wouldn't seat correctly and tune up.
You have had all this trouble in 3 1/2 years and I have had zero trouble in 32 years. I do not think the problem here is the heads. A poor tradesman blames his tools.

As for seating? One must take care with Remo as the heads have a non flexible metal hoop. Whereas Evans has a flexible plastic hoop. Remo also has a glue that needs to be cracked upon seating. This is easily done.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I tried Evans and they are okay but do not feel alive to me.
Wy, funny how I perceive it as the other way around. Weird how we all differ so much.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Wy, funny how I perceive it as the other way around. Weird how we all differ so much.
Sure is. I am about to try Aquarian.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 AM

I have Evans EC2's batter on my Toms and G1 reso's I really like the sound, they are a little dead but I generally like that sound.
Recently I had a stage share where I voluntereed my kit solely so I could hear it as the audience do and I was happily releaved that it cut through the mix and there was good tonal steps between the various drums.

I have to admit, since put a coated ambassdor on my Snare it really has come alive although I found the coating is wearing faster than the Evans ST I had on it before.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sure is. I am about to try Aquarian.
Let me know how you get on. My head choices are still largely coloured by my pro muso days some 25 years ago. That's when I was playing many times a week. I was using G1's as batters in a rock context when everyone else was using pinstripes. The G1's didn't last very long but they sure sounded superb. Sustaaaaaaaain. I use G2's now as I don't want to change heads every few weeks. The G2's still offer a nice open sound on thin resonant shells. Tried EC2's before that. Sounded great for about a week but then became far too dead for my liking (as I found to my cost in the studio). In an ideal world, I'd like something in between G1's & G2's but lasting as long as G2's. I'm interested in Nutha's reply on his new G+'s. They sound like something I should go try. Let me know how you get on with the Aquarians.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

How long do you guys go between head changes? I am very fussy about a 'live' drum sound and when gigging a lot my toms get changed from 6 to 8 weeks and snares usually once a month. Often the toms may get changed once a month.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How long do you guys go between head changes? I am very fussy about a 'live' drum sound and when gigging a lot my toms get changed from 6 to 8 weeks and snares usually once a month. Often the toms may get changed once a month.
That's quite an expenditure Wy! As per my post below, I used to change about the same frequency as you, but as I'm now band practicing once a week, plus gigging once a week on average, it's toms & snare when I can hear a change in response.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Banned

Yeah I read your post. It's the other guys I am curious about. Of course now I have so many snares I hardly ever have to change heads.

Off Topic.

Hey check it out, I have been considering putting together an instrumental power trio. So 10 minutes ago I decided to form one. I now have a fantastic guitarist and bass player.

It's good to be good and have great guys want to play with you. :-)

:p

10 minutes!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

I have been playing for close to 30 years and have had issues with Remo heads and the coating wearing out prematurely. This is not a case of the poor tradesman blaming his tools. It is more of an issue with (I believe) substandard coating process or material.
I do play Remo smooth white emps on my birch shell jazz kit, but that smooth white finish is a pigment in the Mylar, as opposed to being a surface coating.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlygates View Post
I have been playing for close to 30 years and have had issues with Remo heads and the coating wearing out prematurely. This is not a case of the poor tradesman blaming his tools. It is more of an issue with (I believe) substandard coating process or material.
I do play Remo smooth white emps on my birch shell jazz kit, but that smooth white finish is a pigment in the Mylar, as opposed to being a surface coating.
Perhaps then I am changing heads before it has a chance to come off? How often do you change heads on your snare?

EDIT. Although I have never heard a serious working drummer tell me of the problems I read about online regarding Remo heads. Never have I come across this in Australia. I'd be interested in hearing from Aussies regarding this problem.

I am also curious to know what the time frame is for heads wearing prematurely?

Last edited by wy yung; 05-27-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How long do you guys go between head changes?
I prefer my heads "played in" a bit.. I leave mine as long as I can. I change when they need it, but I don't rush to swap.

Quote:
I'd be interested in hearing from Aussies regarding this problem.
I know what I like and what I don't like. I wouldn't have used Remo heads as a first choice for 25 odd years if they didn't hold up. I've been surprised by some of the accounts on the forums too. My experience with the brand has always been good.

I like Evans, used them from time to time with no problems either. I just prefer the sound of a Remo head.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You have had all this trouble in 3 1/2 years and I have had zero trouble in 32 years. I do not think the problem here is the heads. A poor tradesman blames his tools.

As for seating? One must take care with Remo as the heads have a non flexible metal hoop. Whereas Evans has a flexible plastic hoop. Remo also has a glue that needs to be cracked upon seating. This is easily done.
Nice. Thank you.

I'd be happy to show you photos of the heads, w/ the coating that came off as if it were graphite under an eraser. I've still got them. I actually had my drum teacher, a player of over 40 years, come and check them out. He said he had never seen anything like it. Surely he's a poor tradesman and has passed that trait on to me. Fluke or not, it was good money down the drain. Several folks here have complained of the same thing. Bermuda has commented several times that he has gotten enough poorly-made Emperor heads that simply could not be tuned...that he switched to Evans and has never looked back? Poor tradesman, I'm sure.

I'm far from the only one that has had trouble with the Powerstroke 3 bass head, also. I've found more than one thread here with it being discussed. I also have research docs and photos from Ludwig (from my QC struggle with them), showing how Remo will often fail to sink the edge of the film all the way down into the glue channel, leaving it sitting higher with a "ridge". The ridge won't allow the hoop to sit properly and therefore the head won't seat properly. Now that I know what to look for, I check the heads at the store before buying. I'm playing two of them right now, A 20" and a 24", that sound great.

I've owned Evans heads and have yet to find one that wasn't 100% perfect. Based on my experience, Evans *quality* is superior, "poor tradesmanship", notwithstanding.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

Zambizi please read the posts that followed.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

If you play brushes the Evans coating definitely lasts longer than the Remo. Having said that, my favourite sound is when Remos hit the sweet spot of wear. Can't remember which model of Evans it is, but the coating is far less brittle than that of Ambassadors. It's lasted well. Trouble is, it has tiny air holes around the side and it's a bummer with brushes when the wires get caught in a hole as you sweep past. Still yet to solve my snare head conundrum ...

I always used Ambassadors until I started using brushes. When it came to sweeping, I found the Ambassadors too rough at first and they needed to be played in, but it wasn't too long before they were as smooth as a baby's bottom and needed replacing. I need something that sounds like an Ambassador but has a coating that retains some roughness like an Evans.

Like PFOG, I keep my heads on as long as I can. Pros need to change them more often because they can't tolerate dead heads ... haha ... dead heads ... geddit?

Yeah ok ...... :)
Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
If you play brushes the Evans coating definitely lasts longer than the Remo. Having said that, my favourite sound is when Remos hit the sweet spot of wear. Can't remember which model of Evans it is, but the coating is far less brittle than that of Ambassadors. It's lasted well. Trouble is, it has tiny air holes around the side and it's a bummer with brushes when the wires get caught in a hole as you sweep past. Still yet to solve my snare head conundrum ...

The head you are talking about is the Genera HD Dry. They make the same heads without the air holes called the Genera HD (Heavy Duty). The air holes (almost) completely eliminates the high pitched ring found on most snare drums. The "regular" HD is really nice, you might try it if you like the Dry but not the air holes.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:59 PM

Well, here's an update.

My drum dealer has offered to sell me all of his Aquarian stock if I want it. He sees it that he's made a loss anyway and he'll let me have them for a few hundred. There's enough heads here to last me the next ten years...maybe longer.

So I'm thinking about this...

He has Texture Coated which I've used on my toms and am currently using on my snare. He has clear and coated response 2s, which is what I'm using on the toms at the moment.

I'm wondering if it would be worth buying the other heads. He has super 2s coated and clear. he has jack dejohnettes. (any one try them?) he has clear performance 2s. he has some focus x. he has some clear super-kick 2s. he has clear force 1 batters.

I've never tried any of these heads. are any of them worth buying? it'd be kinda cool to have my own little stock of Aquarians.

what do you guys think? which heads would be worth stocking up on?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

Do you have to buy all of them right now?

I'd try out one of each in 1 size first and play around with them and them buy which ones you like before sinking a boatload of cash on everything.

Of course, you could always eBay the ones you don't like....
Old 05-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradGunnerSGT View Post
The head you are talking about is the Genera HD Dry. They make the same heads without the air holes called the Genera HD (Heavy Duty). The air holes (almost) completely eliminates the high pitched ring found on most snare drums. The "regular" HD is really nice, you might try it if you like the Dry but not the air holes.
Thanks Brad. General HD rings a bell. Wouldn't mind a bit of trashy high pitched ring. Will check out some other Evans, maybe something with less natural dampaning.

Last edited by Pollyanna; 05-29-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:13 AM

I'd avoid Remo - I mean they're good heads, don't get me wrong but they do wear out pretty quick. My snare batter is a Powerstroke 3 and I've had it on for 5 months (but not really played it more than a few hours) and the coating is well, non-existent. It's completely flaked off and a head should last more than a few hours.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabian92 View Post
I'd avoid Remo - I mean they're good heads, don't get me wrong but they do wear out pretty quick. My snare batter is a Powerstroke 3 and I've had it on for 5 months (but not really played it more than a few hours) and the coating is well, non-existent. It's completely flaked off and a head should last more than a few hours.
I am with you there.. however, I did go out and buy some Remo Ambassador coated heads today for my bop 4 pc. I am gonna give coated Remos another shot.. Why do I have the feeling I am not going to be happy a month down the road..
Old 05-29-2010, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Thanks Brad. General HD rings a bell. Wouldn't mind a bit of trashy high pitched ring. Will check out some other Evans, maybe something with less natural dampaning.
My Gretsch Fullrange maple came with a G1 and it works great. Normally I'm an Ambassasor guy on snares. The G1 is a bit livelier although on the Gretsch it has almost no ring. It feels like the Evans is slightly thinner or something. I've heard other snares with it on there and it's very lively and you will get some ring.

G2 coated on the toms of the last 3 kits I've had. Played with various things on them but keep coming back to the G2s.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:54 AM

I have found a new awesome combination for my floor tom: EC2 SST coated over G2 coated. It sounds AMAZING...to me anyway.