DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Senior Administrator

Default heads up - Evans Gplus

i bought some of the new evans G plus heads - having read rave reviews about them in magazines and on line - and have played them at three gigs this last weekend and i've got to say i am totally sold on them. these heads actually sound better to me every time i hit them. even though i hadn't have time to microtune them they just settled into a great sound within the first couple of songs. they are tough too - no dents or even little stick marks. the sound was powerful and warm. when i arrived at my second and third gig i expected to have to tweak my original tuning but a few experimental taps revealed such great sound that i couldn't bring myself to change a thing. i'm looking forward to this weekend's gigs.
i recommend them for your next head replacement!

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 05-26-2010, 03:44 AM

Default Re: heads up - Evans Gplus

What resos are you using and do you use Moon Gel or anything else for overtones?
RocNSoc
Roland TD9SX
Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 AM

Sweet, these heads looked good and I'm glad some one likes them. I'll try them out, but aren't they a but more expensive than most?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

This review comes at a good time. I am looking at replacing my snare head with something new.

Nutha, how dry are the Evans G-Plus heads? I like dry.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Nutha, have you used G2's, and if so, how would you compare them to the G+'s? I know about the Evans blurb, but more interested in your opinion in the real world. Thanks.

DMC, if you want ultra dry for your snare but still keep sensitivity, there's nothing better than the Evans genera HD dry IMO. Too dry for most snares IMO, but great on my little 13" maple stave. Really lets the wood dry pop character shine through. Hazy 300 on the reso.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:52 AM
Silver Member

I have been using the g plus coated on all my snare and tom batters for about 4 months now. I love them. I use brushes sometimes so I need the coated. the coating isn't like a spray on coating like other drums, it's more like the etched coating from the evans j1 jazz heads. It is much more durable. It does have a weird look though kind of like a foggy looking head not exactly white not exactly clear.

The sound I think is great, I like to run my toms as low as they will go and I can get these heads to tune lower than g1's. As far as overtones, they are still there but it is more controlled. ( I am running g1 clear resonants by the way) Honestly my toms are so resonant now it's ridiculous. Alot of shows we take them out of the mix because they are so loud and full that they don't need amplification.

I really like the 14 on the snare, I used to run g1 coated and get a big fat backbeat and legato sound out of my snare, but the gplus does a much better job of controlling the ringing overtones. they are still in there just more focused, I feel I have more control over the drum like if I really want the overtones I spank the snare of to the side. I definatley wouldn't describe them as dry though.

as far as durability I would say they are more durable than g1's and probably a little less than g2's. I rarely put dents in heads, but a few times after a really excited outdoor set at a festival I will notice I put a 1 or 2 in the floor tom. I know whenever other drummers would "guest" on my g1's they would end up ruining my heads 100% of the time. It's not 100% now, more like 50% so they do hold up better to abuse.

as far as the prices go I order them from musicians friend in the "prepack" standard kit for 38.99 and it comes with a free 14" batter. 12, 13, 14, 16 for under $40 bucks sounds good to me. their "prepacks" aren't prepacks either they just send you the heads in the sizes of the prepack you choose. They have a ton of options 5 piece fusion, 4 piece fusion, standard, 1 up 2 down, etc.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Gold Member

How do these heads compare to the clear EC2's?

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Silver Member

The gplus is alot more open and resonant than the ec2's. They have a much longer sustain. They also have less attack, more "note". The ec2's have a very warm dark overtones, I think the gplus is more balanced. They aren't as bright as single ply heads, but they are kind of middle of the road.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbike View Post
The gplus is alot more open and resonant than the ec2's. They have a much longer sustain. They also have less attack, more "note". The ec2's have a very warm dark overtones, I think the gplus is more balanced. They aren't as bright as single ply heads, but they are kind of middle of the road.

Hmmmm........that sure sounds like something I may be interested in.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 05-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Senior Administrator

last night i used a zero ring on the hi tom so that its resonance matched the floor tom which wasn't quite as lively. i would say the sound is medium dry. i've been looking for a way to get my toms to sound more like gavin harrisson's.
my resos are (to my shame perhaps) the factory pearl head on the small tom and a snare reso from remo on the floor tom.
tried close micing them on friday and the result was well, inspiring. no mics needed on saturday (smallish club). tonight is a big venue so i'm going to mess with the tuning a bit. i normally tune my toms about a third apart but now i'm going to crank the hitom up a bit.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 05-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

I'm currently using clear G2 / G1 on my toms. I want to go coated and have been trying to decide between coated G1 and coated G Plus. I think I will give the G Plus a try. Looks to be a good in-between the G2 and G1.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:21 PM

I'm currently using coated G1s and really like them but may give these a try on my next change of heads.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I just replaced all of my heads with EC2 resonant and batter, they definatly are a good purchase and after trying many different styles by both Evans and Remo I will stick with them for a while. The only complaint, not complaint really but more of an idiosyncrasy is I have yet to find "the feel" I require and the Evans EC2 are just a little flimsy, they like to be fairly taught to acheive the balanced sound and don't go with all drum kits. They do record well. I know where I will go next though and that will be Remo Emperor batters and Diplomats on the bottom and call it a day. The Evans are very good heads and I like the way you describe them. I am replacing my bass head with the EQ4 primarily because of the description-"warm with pronounced low-end punch and a woody attack"
and for my 20" that sounded perfect, so thanks for your description. I am sure it will save a few out there with the cost and hassle of experimenting and perhaps will prevent people like me from being so impetuous.

Cheers

Last edited by Bruce M. Thomson; 06-11-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. Thomson View Post
I just replaced all of my heads with EC2 resonant and batter, they definatly are a good purchase and after trying many different styles by both Evans and Remo I will stick with them for a while. The only complaint, not complaint really but more of an idiosyncrasy is I have yet to find "the feel" I require and the Evans EC2 are just a little flimsy, they like to be fairly taught to acheive the balanced sound and don't go with all drum kits. They do record well. I know where I will go next though and that will be Remo Emperor batters and Diplomats on the bottom and call it a day. The Evans are very good heads and I like the way you describe them. I am replacing my bass head with the EQ4 primarily because of the description-"warm with pronounced low-end punch and a woody attack"
and for my 20" that sounded perfect, so thanks for your description. I am sure it will save a few out there with the cost and hassle of experimenting and perhaps will prevent people like me from being so impetuous.

Cheers
I know what you mean by "feel". I used EC2's over G1's for the last few months and thought they were almost perfect, but had a little too much of the controlled, "plastic drumhead" sound and I didn't like the feel of them. I just switched to Vintage Emperors over clear Ambassadors and got exactly the sound and feel I was looking for with my Gretsch Renown Maples. I barely have to touch them to get a great warm sound. I played last night with a guy that I hadn't played with in like 10 years and he remarked on how good they sounded.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
as far as the prices go I order them from musicians friend in the "prepack" standard kit for 38.99 and it comes with a free 14" batter. 12, 13, 14, 16 for under $40 bucks sounds good to me. their "prepacks" aren't prepacks either they just send you the heads in the sizes of the prepack you choose. They have a ton of options 5 piece fusion, 4 piece fusion, standard, 1 up 2 down, etc.
I ordered the G Plus clears from Musicians Friend as well. What a great deal on great heads. My toms have never sounded better. I have G1's on the bottoms. I still have the free 14" coated in the box since I usually use the ST Dry on my snare. I've been considering trying it out and after reading this thread, I think I'll put it on for tomorrow night's gig.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

I made the switch from clear G2s to coated G Plus' about two weeks ago. Toms are holding thier notes longer now.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Gold Member

BTW, the G-pluses are excellent as resos, too, if you need more sustain from a drum. On my kid's kit the 8" and 10" toms don't sustain as well as the rest, so I use G-pluses on those and G1s on the rest. Works great.

Recommend folks interested in the coated version to try and hear them first--I can't abide Evans' frosty "coating" which, to my ear, sounds very plasticky.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
BTW, the G-pluses are excellent as resos, too, if you need more sustain from a drum. On my kid's kit the 8" and 10" toms don't sustain as well as the rest, so I use G-pluses on those and G1s on the rest. Works great.
So the G+ offer longer sustain than the G1's? I use G2's over G1's. Interesting.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
So the G+ offer longer sustain than the G1's? I use G2's over G1's. Interesting.
Thicker = more sustain, assuming both are single-ply, which they are. When you set a greater mass in motion it tends to remain in motion longer.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Gold Member

The flip side is that it takes more energy to set a thicker head in motion, so if you aren't a heavy hitter you may find the added sustain takes more work to achieve.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thicker = more sustain, assuming both are single-ply, which they are. When you set a greater mass in motion it tends to remain in motion longer.
Thanks DTD, I get that, but isn't the tone element vs. attack of the drum sound reduced accordingly given the drum is hit the same? I guess it's something I'll have to try. I recon my G1 resos are due for replacement anyhow, so maybe this is a good time to go for it. I'll order some up & post back on the difference.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
The flip side is that it takes more energy to set a thicker head in motion, so if you aren't a heavy hitter you may find the added sustain takes more work to achieve.
Your experience may be different, but I have never found that to be the case.

Quote:
Thanks DTD, I get that, but isn't the tone element vs. attack of the drum sound reduced accordingly given the drum is hit the same? I guess it's something I'll have to try. I recon my G1 resos are due for replacement anyhow, so maybe this is a good time to go for it. I'll order some up & post back on the difference.
As I mentioned, I use them to equalize sustain among several drums. They are probably not everyone's first choice as a standard reso head.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

As I mentioned, I use them to equalize sustain among several drums. They are probably not everyone's first choice as a standard reso head.
But you've definitely found the G+'s offer more sustain than the lighter G1's?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Silver Member

So I tried the 14" etched G Plus on my 6.5x14 COB Supraphonic. I definitely got that bouncing basketball sound but then I laid a 3/4 inch zero ring (the one that came on my Yamaha snare) on there and ended up with a very nice sound. There was still a little bit of ring there but the basketball sound went away. Here's a video from Saturday night so you can hear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27jTMKXQEbY
The only issue I had all night was during one song when the zero ring ended up on the floor somehow.

I do have a question about the coated G Plus heads that some of you are using on your toms. Do they come with the traditional white coating or semi opaque etched? If they are the etched, is that an actual coating or some kind of texture that is part of the mylar to begin with?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
So I tried the 14" etched G Plus on my 6.5x14 COB Supraphonic. I definitely got that bouncing basketball sound but then I laid a 3/4 inch zero ring (the one that came on my Yamaha snare) on there and ended up with a very nice sound. There was still a little bit of ring there but the basketball sound went away. Here's a video from Saturday night so you can hear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27jTMKXQEbY
The only issue I had all night was during one song when the zero ring ended up on the floor somehow.

I do have a question about the coated G Plus heads that some of you are using on your toms. Do they come with the traditional white coating or semi opaque etched? If they are the etched, is that an actual coating or some kind of texture that is part of the mylar to begin with?
Sounds better than I thought it would. Nice crack going on there. Good looking gig BTW. I can't bring myself to use any form of dampening though.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Sounds better than I thought it would. Nice crack going on there. Good looking gig BTW. I can't bring myself to use any form of dampening though.
I know what you mean. The other Evans snare batters I've used all have built in dampening, though. I did what I had to do in order to utilize this free head that came along with a prepack. I don't think I'd ordinarily choose the G Plus for my snare drum but if they keep coming free with the G Plus tom heads I get, I'll keep using them with a zero-ring.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 AM

Another Gplus convert here after 1 week. I didn't want to post a glowing review too soon.

Gplus as reso's are now my 1st choice as a reso head. I love the clear G2/ G1 combo, but the Gplus is better imo.

I'm getting all the tone and sustain of a clear G1, a little more low end and less pitch bend in the attack and decay. I'm also noticing a little less sympathetic vibration from the kick too, meaning the kick is triggering the tom less.

I love the clear GMAD bd head too. I'm getting boom but it's quick and controlled.

I'm not sure the original intention of Evans was to use the GPlus as a reso, but it sure sounds good.

I'm also experimenting on a 16" ft with clear G2/G2 with good results.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom Cloud View Post
Another Gplus convert here after 1 week. I didn't want to post a glowing review too soon.

Gplus as reso's are now my 1st choice as a reso head. I love the clear G2/ G1 combo, but the Gplus is better imo.

I'm getting all the tone and sustain of a clear G1, a little more low end and less pitch bend in the attack and decay. I'm also noticing a little less sympathetic vibration from the kick too, meaning the kick is triggering the tom less.

I love the clear GMAD bd head too. I'm getting boom but it's quick and controlled.

I'm not sure the original intention of Evans was to use the GPlus as a reso, but it sure sounds good.

I'm also experimenting on a 16" ft with clear G2/G2 with good results.
That's very interesting MC. I can always tune out pitch bend. If you suffer from this, it's almost always because the batter & reso aren't tuned exactly the same. Anyhow, I'm very interested in the concept of G2 over G+. When you changed from G2/G1, did you notice any volume change in the toms? Did you notice any increase in sustain, especially on smaller toms? Also, what drums do you have? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm thinking of ordering a set for resos today. Cheers, KIS.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
That's very interesting MC. I can always tune out pitch bend. If you suffer from this, it's almost always because the batter & reso aren't tuned exactly the same. Anyhow, I'm very interested in the concept of G2 over G+. When you changed from G2/G1, did you notice any volume change in the toms? Did you notice any increase in sustain, especially on smaller toms? Also, what drums do you have? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm thinking of ordering a set for resos today. Cheers, KIS.
It was a good musical pitch bend before, just better now. The thicker head is moving less, kinda like a heavier bass string.

A little louder with the G+ but not huge. I tuned the G2/G1 combo to sustain a lot so just as much with the G plus maybe just a slight bit less.

Truth 6 ply birch toms 10 ply bd's.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It was a good musical pitch bend before, just better now. The thicker head is moving less, kinda like a heavier bass string.

A little louder with the G+ but not huge. I tuned the G2/G1 combo to sustain a lot so just as much with the G plus maybe just a slight bit less.

Truth 6 ply birch toms 10 ply bd's.
Thanks MC, so you think a little less sustain. Interesting that DTD thinks they offer slightly more sustain & uses the G+ to equalize sustain across the toms.

Beautiful kit BTW. Same finish as mine except mine are maple. Lovely, & honest.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Ok, just ordered a set of clears. I've got some nearly new G2's on the batters and some older G1's on resos right now. This means I can try some interesting combos between the three. I'll try the G+'s as both batters & resos then post my findings.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradGunnerSGT View Post
I know what you mean by "feel". I used EC2's over G1's for the last few months and thought they were almost perfect, but had a little too much of the controlled, "plastic drumhead" sound and I didn't like the feel of them. I just switched to Vintage Emperors over clear Ambassadors and got exactly the sound and feel I was looking for with my Gretsch Renown Maples. I barely have to touch them to get a great warm sound. I played last night with a guy that I hadn't played with in like 10 years and he remarked on how good they sounded.
It is hard to know how things will turn out until you try them (drumming is expensive) and you nailed it on the head (so to speak). I sort of had an idea already that I wanted coated for my tubs but was swayed by the advertising and honestly you can not go wrong with quality heads as these but they don't really suit me. I was particularly wrong about the bass head, the eq3 is a great head but it does not work well with a 20" Sonor 3007.
Oh well, adapt and overcome; crank them up and call it wonderful.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks MC, so you think a little less sustain. Interesting that DTD thinks they offer slightly more sustain & uses the G+ to equalize sustain across the toms.

He might might have had a dead sound before he tried these.

My toms were wide open before with med high tuning. Some guys might not like the long sustain that I prefer. It helps me to play leaner if the toms sing.

For those trying the G+ for the 1st time don't be shy to crank the tension up just a little tighter.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

I crank my G pluses on the underside as resos... I had a faulty 12" one (there was a wrinkle before I even pulled it out of the box) and could never get my 12" to even sustain as much as my 10" which sang for days after I put the G Plus on the bottom... put the stock head back on, my 12" tom still sounds pretty dead in comparison to my 10" even after cranking up both sides a little bit and closer to the same pitch so they'd sympathetically vibrate with each other longer. I might just have bad luck with that 12" tom, but I'll be ordering another G Plus for the reso.

I'm going to try Ambassador X's or the G Pluses (probably Ambassador X's) as a batter after my Coated Ambassadors are done or I start gigging/recording. I think that since I'm becoming a bit of a harder hitter anyways I'll be able to maximize the resonance potential I'll get with two 12-mil heads.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

I guess I'm not being clear. I don't think the G-pluses have more sustain than the G1s. I use them. They have more sustain. While this was predictable from theory, it is (in my case at least) also what you can plainly hear.

Quote:
He might might have had a dead sound before he tried these.
Not at all.

I have a different setup on my kit. But my kid plays rock almost always unmiked, so we tune for sustain, both heads at the same pitch. All toms are tuned to their most resonant zone. These toms sing quite nicely, and did so with their G1 resos.

However, it's pretty normal that the 8" and 10" toms won't sustain quite as long as the 12, 14, and 16" toms in his kit. Theory predicted that G-pluses on those toms would increase their sustain compared with the G1s, and it turns out they did. Now the 8 and 10" more closely match the sustain of the other toms.

This comports with long experience: it's been a truism forever that Diplomat-weight resos sustain less than Ambassador-weight resos. The availability of G-plus heads simply adds another slightly-heavier weight to the mix. Theory and experience suggest that they will sustain longer than Ambassador/G1 resos, and they do.

I'm afraid I can't explain anyone else's results.

For an interesting evaluation of reso heads, including an obvious demonstration of thicker resos sustaining longer than thinner ones, see this link..
Old 06-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Nice explanation on the 8 and 10.

I'm trying to get Peter D'Addario to make a GPlus reso BD head. I have a feeling this would be huge sounding.

Quote:
I guess I'm not being clear. I don't think the G-pluses have more sustain than the G1s. I use them. They have more sustain. While this was predictable from theory, it is (in my case at least) also what you can plainly hear.

Not at all.

I have a different setup on my kit. But my kid plays rock almost always unmiked, so we tune for sustain, both heads at the same pitch. All toms are tuned to their most resonant zone. These toms sing quite nicely, and did so with their G1 resos.

However, it's pretty normal that the 8" and 10" toms won't sustain quite as long as the 12, 14, and 16" toms in his kit. Theory predicted that G-pluses on those toms would increase their sustain compared with the G1s, and it turns out they did. Now the 8 and 10" more closely match the sustain of the other toms.

This comports with long experience: it's been a truism forever that Diplomat-weight resos sustain less than Ambassador-weight resos. The availability of G-plus heads simply adds another slightly-heavier weight to the mix. Theory and experience suggest that they will sustain longer than Ambassador/G1 resos, and they do.

I'm afraid I can't explain anyone else's results.

For an interesting evaluation of reso heads, including an obvious demonstration of thicker resos sustaining longer than thinner ones, see this link..
Old 06-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Nice explanation on the 8 and 10.

I'm trying to get Peter D'Addario to make a GPlus reso BD head. I have a feeling this would be huge sounding.
I would like to try one of those!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Count me in!

Old 06-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks DTD. My G+'s are arriving next week (they didn't have 8" in stock). I'll throw up a Q3 recording of G2 batter/G+ reso vs. G2 batter/G1 reso vs. G+ batter/G1 reso.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Doesn't Evans already have a 12-mil bass drum head...? I was thinking the same thing about the bass drum but then I thought for a second and SWORE they already had one...

EDIT: Yeah, the GMAD head is 12-mil. Wouldn't using the head without the muffling rings be the next best thing?

Last edited by Chaos_Inferno; 06-21-2010 at 03:47 AM.