DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 PM

Default Compressor for the kick?

I'm micing my 22" Tama base drum with an AKG D-112. Last night the band informed me that it was clipping and I should consider a compressor to deal with the problem. I have the mic mounted on a stand just outside the resonator port.

My question is has anyone here used a compressor for such purpose (I've never) and if so, what sugggestions would you make with regards to the type or brand I should consider? Thanks for any input...
Old 05-16-2010, 08:26 PM
audiotech

Default Re: Compressor for the kick?

I use a compressor/limiter on my bass drums when recording, but usually not live. This all depends on the venue. Your bass drum mic shouldn't be clipping if the microphone gain control in the mixer is set up properly. If you have a soundman at your gigs, he should be able to see the clip indicators on the mic channels activating when the input level is getting close to distortion. The D-112 is a microphone designed to handle a very high SPL and shouldn't clip on its own. Maybe your band members are hearing other artifacts in the sound chain.

Dennis
Old 05-16-2010, 09:38 PM

Agreed. clipping is most likely due to board settings. Either GAIN and/or EQ settings..
Old 05-17-2010, 01:12 AM

As said above - look at gain. It's possible you're not setting levels at the same volume that you end up playing as the night goes on, so the gain may be set too high.

If however you've got an extremely hot mic (and the D112 wouldn't be abnormally hot) and you've barely got the gain up at all, you may want to look into an inline pad to knock 10-15 DB off. - they should only be about 10-15 bucks if memory serves.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:18 AM

A compressor is a good idea live if you want more consistency
Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 PM

This is dependent on the board. You can have clipping with the gain trim all the way down. In this case use a pad or just drop it into the line in but you’ll have to turn the gain pot up. Higher end boards have a pad on the channel strip.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheruff View Post
I'm micing my 22" Tama base drum with an AKG D-112. Last night the band informed me that it was clipping and I should consider a compressor to deal with the problem. I have the mic mounted on a stand just outside the resonator port.

My question is has anyone here used a compressor for such purpose (I've never) and if so, what sugggestions would you make with regards to the type or brand I should consider? Thanks for any input...
If you've been convinced you must have one, get the cheapest one you can find, or should I say "Don't spend a lot of money on it."

The problem with a compressor on the kick is- The kick will end up sounding like its being run through a compressor.

The only instance (as a sound person) I would use a compressor on the kick live, is if the front head is uber-ringy, uncontrollably so and the drummer has to have it that way.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonutarr View Post
A compressor is a good idea live if you want more consistency
Being in control of your dynamics is better still. ;)
Old 05-20-2010, 01:52 AM

Hey thanks guys, all good stuff. It turns out we don't have a 'gain' on the mother board... go figure! I'll find out more about it tonight at practice. So I'm thinking to submix thru my board and then plug that into main. We don't play all that often so it seems like it'll be a slow go until I get it right. Getting a compressor will be the last thing I do. I mean, after playing 35+ years pro and semi pro and have never needed one... I ask why NOW? lol... We have a part time sound man but am afraid he's no pro, just ears to let us know what up.