DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Gold Member

Default Stands or rack?

Alright, gentlemen(and/or ladies, in case Polly gets here for some reason).

I am working on how the set-up to my dream set would be put into existence, and so far I have the Masterworks forms printed and filled out for the day I have enough money to do those beauties. But, I do have one dilemma.

I'm stuck between the decision of using stands to support my cymbals or a rack, either which will be Pearl.

Here are the debate points in my head:
  • A rack could potentially cost less than a number of cymbal stands
  • One of my set-up preferences would be to have my ride directly above my bass drum, and I'm planning on getting the Paiste Eclipse ride, which I doubt a stand positioned like that over a bass drum could safely support. A Rack could.
  • Racks tend not to be able to be as flexible as stands, but with the right add-ons it could work.
  • Stands are generally better for smaller gigs.
  • Stands can be purchased one by one, and the model I'm going after can be onverted to different types of stands.

These aren't all, but they're the major ones.

So guys, any ideas or suggestions?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Stands or rack?

You don't mention how big your kit is, which is usually the biggest consideration when choosing what to go for.

I had a rack on my kit, but went back to stands simply because the rack proved too cumbersome and inflexible for me. However, I have a 5-piece kit with three crashes, so bigger kits may experience more of a benefit using a rack.

For me, it was a decision based on ease of setup, so now I have almost all straight stands, and I'm able to have a very flexible setup when it comes to the number of drums and cymbals I use based on stage size and such. I can set up or tear down in a very short amount of time, and my stands basically go into my hardware bag as they are, no dismantling needed. Fold up the legs, throw them in the bag and off I go. The rack had to be dismantled down to the individual bars, cymbal mounts and boom arms, and had to go into the hardware bag in a specific order to get everything to fit comfortably. Not an ideal situation for me.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Oh man, I hate to refer you to the other many rack threads. The search forums function brings you two metric-ass-ton of rack threads.

I'm on a rack. Love the footprint (smaller than single stands). I don't really change my setup so it's always perfect, every time i set it up.

Can't go wrong with either.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
You don't mention how big your kit is, which is usually the biggest consideration when choosing what to go for.
I have a six-piece in a set-up that's extremely unconventional. A thread containing pictures is in my signature. Right now stands are working for me, but I wonder how I can make certain stuff work.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

You just have to find the right rack. Especially with your unique setup....

It really shouldn't be that bad, and for what its worth, it would probably be much easier in the end to set your kit on a rack. I have everything on memory locks so everything just goes on into place without adjustment. Anyone can do it to...much easier on those who help putting the kit up. Aside from getting the cymbals in their respective spot, it's just a breeze.

The awkward part of owning a rack is transporting it. Depending on how far you break it down to tote it around...you could be putting as much time into getting into a Honda Civic as you would breaking down single stands. I transport mine in a band trailer or the back of my truck and it basically folds up like a transformer to about 1/5th its full width when set up. So basically when we get to shows, two people carry the whole thing in one piece (or three) to it's destination and just plop it down and stretch it out to it's full open position. Set up the drums and and cymbals then carry the whole thing on stage or riser. Throw the bass drum and snare where they need to be and it's done.

BTW...that IS an interesting setup. Everything on the same plane...had to have taken some getting used to.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

I'd go with a Pearl Icon rack. My kit resides in a very small space. What I'm doing with my Ludwig kit I couldn't begin to achieve with stands, without going to a "larger" footprint. But, I would never totally give up stands, either. They're bought and paid for. All Yamaha hardware. I use them on my "other kits".
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2010, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

I've thrown this out there a few times: There's no rule that says racks have to cross your bass drum. I've used smaller side racks for a few years now, and they make setup and teardown a lot easier. You can set them up offstage, carry them on, and carry them off. For a set your size,and with your setup, this might be ideal. Gibraltar makes the Stealth racks and they are great for this, or you can order the parts individually.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Administrator

When I use my three up, one down set up I use my rack. right now I am using one up and one down on stands.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:49 AM
audiotech

For all my drumming career the only thing I've used on my personal drums were stands. I just find them more accommodating for use with the amount of drums and cymbals that I usually use. The times when I use racks I feel more confined and unable to make quick changes when needed. Maybe if I was more familiar with them, it might be a different story, but for right now stands get me where I want to be.

Dennis
Old 05-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I've thrown this out there a few times: There's no rule that says racks have to cross your bass drum. I've used smaller side racks for a few years now, and they make setup and teardown a lot easier. You can set them up offstage, carry them on, and carry them off. For a set your size,and with your setup, this might be ideal. Gibraltar makes the Stealth racks and they are great for this, or you can order the parts individually.
Yeah, side racks are often used to great effect. A couple of drummers I can think of who use them are Roy Mayorga and Dayne Lawless:

Roy (crossbar over one kick, but not the other. Side racks on both sides):

Dayne (low rack on the left, higher on the right. No crossbar in front):
Old 05-16-2010, 02:11 PM

ill allways go stands over rack.

though it depends if your the type to change the set up of your kit.
stands can be shifted all over the place, especially if the racks avalible are limited in what cymbal goes where (if you want your ride near the hi hat, for example, stands are better)

however, stands take up alot of space especially if the kit is having mic stands around it too...
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 AM

I asked this a while back in another forum and got the same mixed answers. I have a 2 up 2 down with 6 cymbals. For me, the stands got to be a real pain in the neck. I got really sick of multiple trips back and forth to the car. But, we started gigging more and I got a new kit so when we aren't gigging, I take it to practice once a week.
So for me, if you gig a lot, the rack is a great time saver. If you don't, stand offer more flexibility. I can load all my cymbals on the rack at a gig before we go on stage, then when we're up, we just lift the rack up and I'm done.
I bought a used curve Pearl rack and use a bar across the front and one to the right.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 PM

It comes down to personal preference. There's arguments to be made both ways. I myself play on a Gibraltar rack and I love it. Setup is great, partly because I drive a big SUV and I tend to leave my rack setup when traveling. I don't tear it down at all, ever. So, I may be biased here. And the other guys/ gals(?) are correct in that it provides a smaller footprint, especially on stage. Also, years ago, after one of my cymbal stands came crashing down during a gig, because I evidently set it up with too much weight to one side or had th legs misaligned, I decided to go racks. I feel more confident that nothing will fall over. No stands for my band mates to run into and knock over, either. Although, I do like the way a drumkit looks without racks rather than with them.
Gibraltar
Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 PM

it all comes down to personal preferences..IMO it depends on how much traveling you're doing regarding sessions. if you have a set that's going to be stationary then it really doesn't matter. but if you are on the road a lot, i would say it'll be easier setting up and breaking down just having a rack system. stands tend to take up way too much space..at times..but overall it's personal taste. hope this helps.keep drumming..