DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-10-2010, 07:00 PM
HokosPokos HokosPokos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 137
Default Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

As I've understood PS3 and Emperor are both muffled 2-ply heads that's suited for rock/metal-drummers who doesn't want much overtones. But what's the difference between them? I played on a drumkit (a Tama Artstar, I have a Superstar) wich had Emperor and Ambassadors as reso and really liked, not a dead sound but some tone but very little overtone. But I have heard that PS3 is good too so I don't know what I should get.

And secondly, I love the snare that many 80's heavy metal bands had. I don't know how to describe the sound so I'll post some links instead. If someone would want to tell how that snare sounds I would be very appreciative. I don't know much what is what when it comes to that.

Of course you would have to get alooot of reverb but still there are cool bands that didn't have that much reverb and still get a very 80's sound. I'll give you some examples:

Tank - Kill. Reverb but that not much? Is this a very dead snare? I think this recording has a very unique snare.

Loudness - Like Hell: Reverb plus some more reverb

My drumteacher sayed Remo Pinstripe Clear would do the trick as snarehead since it would get no overtones and a very "damp" (don't know what to call it) sound.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 PM
AudioWonderland AudioWonderland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 449
Default Re: Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokosPokos View Post
As I've understood PS3 and Emperor are both muffled 2-ply heads that's suited for rock/metal-drummers who doesn't want much overtones. But what's the difference between them? I played on a drumkit (a Tama Artstar, I have a Superstar) wich had Emperor and Ambassadors as reso and really liked, not a dead sound but some tone but very little overtone. But I have heard that PS3 is good too so I don't know what I should get.

And secondly, I love the snare that many 80's heavy metal bands had. I don't know how to describe the sound so I'll post some links instead. If someone would want to tell how that snare sounds I would be very appreciative. I don't know much what is what when it comes to that.

Of course you would have to get alooot of reverb but still there are cool bands that didn't have that much reverb and still get a very 80's sound. I'll give you some examples:

Tank - Kill. Reverb but that not much? Is this a very dead snare? I think this recording has a very unique snare.

Loudness - Like Hell: Reverb plus some more reverb

My drumteacher sayed Remo Pinstripe Clear would do the trick as snarehead since it would get no overtones and a very "damp" (don't know what to call it) sound.
First off, the PS 3 is not a 2 ply head and the Emperor is not a muffled head. I'm not sure how to advise you.

A PS4 is a 2 ply head with a similar muffling to the PS3. I would start there
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-10-2010, 08:42 PM
HokosPokos HokosPokos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 137
Default Re: Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

Okey, well at least I know PS3 is 2 ply and Emperor not muffled :)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 PM
masonni's Avatar
masonni masonni is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Posts: 1,352
Default Re: Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokosPokos View Post
Okey, well at least I know PS3 is 2 ply and Emperor not muffled :)
The PS3 is 1 ply not 2.

I would go with the PS3 and use a hard beater. Wood or Plastic to give you that click sound.
__________________
nickmason.org
facebook
Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM
HokosPokos HokosPokos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 137
Default Re: Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
The PS3 is 1 ply not 2.

I would go with the PS3 and use a hard beater. Wood or Plastic to give you that click sound.
Oops, forgot a "not" in that sentence.

I assume beater is the same thing as drumstick? "Wood OR plastic for best result"? Is there a theird option?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-12-2010, 04:09 AM
Mathew 7:21's Avatar
Mathew 7:21 Mathew 7:21 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 133
Default Re: Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

Alot of us used pinstripes on our snares or cs black dot. Almost forgot make sure your snare is at least a 6.5 deep. Alot of us used 8 inch deep snares.
__________________
Tama Starclassic B/B 20x22, 9x12, 12x14, 14x16
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-12-2010, 03:13 PM
HokosPokos HokosPokos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 137
Default Re: Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

Okey, thank you for the info. Think I'll go with pinstripe for the snare and emperor for the toms.

8" snares? Jeez, must weigh a ton. Well, that's something I'll have to save some money for then. Mine is a stock Tama, 4,5" deep if I'm not mistaken.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-12-2010, 03:14 PM
HokosPokos HokosPokos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 137
Default Re: Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

Okey, thank you for the info. Think I'll go with pinstripe for the snare and emperor for the toms.

I know pinstripe was very populare back in the days, did you guys use them aswell for your toms?

8" snares? Jeez, must weigh a ton. Well, that's something I'll have to save some money for then. Mine is a stock Tama, 5,5" deep if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by HokosPokos; 05-12-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-12-2010, 04:11 PM
HokosPokos HokosPokos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 137
Default Re: Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

Oops, dubbelpost. Feel free to delete the first any moderator.. and this one.... ...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-12-2010, 05:09 PM
AudioWonderland AudioWonderland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 449
Default Re: Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokosPokos View Post
Okey, thank you for the info. Think I'll go with pinstripe for the snare and emperor for the toms.

I know pinstripe was very populare back in the days, did you guys use them aswell for your toms?

8" snares? Jeez, must weigh a ton. Well, that's something I'll have to save some money for then. Mine is a stock Tama, 5,5" deep if I'm not mistaken.

I've never used pins for snares. Almost always coated Ambassadors, Emperors or Evans equivalent.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 AM
sqadan's Avatar
sqadan sqadan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 358
Default Re: Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

Here... let's address this all at once...

The Remo PS3 is a single ply, ambassador weight head with a muffling ring underneath.

The Remo Emperor is a 2 ply head with no muffling.

To get an 80's metal / glam snare sound - I would go with a metal shelled snare at least 6.5 inches deep. Use either a Remo CS Reverse Dot or an Emporer tuned medium tight... BUT - keep in mind that alot of that 80's sound was a beefed up, compressed, and gated recorded tone... those drums probably sounded very different live.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Up2Speed's Avatar
Up2Speed Up2Speed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 154
Default Re: Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

I used to use a CS black dot or a pinstripe on the snare and pinstripes on the toms and later Evans hydraulics on the toms with no reso heads on any of the toms. The first thing was to get rid of the reso head! LOL
__________________
6 PC DW in Ruby Glass
Pearl Demon Chain
DW 9000
Zildjian & Sabian
Porter & Davies
Roland TD30KV
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-13-2010, 04:45 PM
HokosPokos HokosPokos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 137
Default Re: Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
I've never used pins for snares. Almost always coated Ambassadors, Emperors or Evans equivalent.
Never used pins for 80's sound? Or just never used pins? Either way, I'm sure people used different heads then the most populare back in the 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqadan View Post
Here... let's address this all at once...

The Remo PS3 is a single ply, ambassador weight head with a muffling ring underneath.

The Remo Emperor is a 2 ply head with no muffling.

To get an 80's metal / glam snare sound - I would go with a metal shelled snare at least 6.5 inches deep. Use either a Remo CS Reverse Dot or an Emporer tuned medium tight... BUT - keep in mind that alot of that 80's sound was a beefed up, compressed, and gated recorded tone... those drums probably sounded very different live.
Ah, that clear things about my knowledge about Remo heads haha, thank you.

Metal snare, okey. What type? Coppar, brass etc? Yeah, 'course I'm aware about the effects people put on their drums in the 80's hehe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
I used to use a CS black dot or a pinstripe on the snare and pinstripes on the toms and later Evans hydraulics on the toms with no reso heads on any of the toms. The first thing was to get rid of the reso head! LOL
Might going for pinstripe for toms next time I'll buy batter heads. For now I'm going with emperors. Might try though to play around the kit with no reso heads on the toms. Seen alot of 70's/80's band doing that.

Do you know if the Vinny Appice (Dio) used reso heads on his toms for the Holy Diver album? I think they sound so different from other albums/bands...

Is their btw any difference in perfomance between Pinstripe clear and Pinstripe ebony? Ebony = Coated (but with black instead of white?).

Thank you again everyone for helping me out. :)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com