DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-07-2010, 05:41 PM

Default Question for all drummers that use Backing Tracks

Hello Everyone,
I had a question regarding backing tracks and different hardware that can be used. Right now I have Mp3 tracks that are panned with Click on the left, and backing vocals with percussion on the right. I feed this into a mixer which then goes into a head phone amp. From there I pan everything on my headphone feed to the left and press the Mono/Stereo switch which gives me the Signal on Left and Right headphones. All the tracks are run from a original fat PSP.

1. What file type do you use live for live playback? Wav, mp3?
2. I now no longer have the headphone amplifier. Is there a device that does the same thing but isn't also an additional 6 headphone outs? Maybe it can be built, it just needs to hard pan left and duplicate the signal... maybe? It would just take the signal from the headphone out on my mixer
3. Using a PSP is fine right? Theoretically all devices can fail, but my PSP has a very stable firmware and processor. Also it's not some cheap toy, it is a professionally manufactured product from Sony. I trust it more than an iPod.

Tell me about your live set ups. I want to know what hardware you use and any other additional details.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Question for all drummers that use Backing Tracks

When I was using a lot of backing tracks, the portable mp3s player hadn't been invented yet! I used to have to carry around a DAT player in a road case. Man, is that thing heavy.

Today, I'd just use MP3's and an iPOD. Maybe I'd have a 2nd one as a back up.
It would be much simpler, and much easier to carry around.

As for headphone amp, Rolls makes a variety of head phone amps, from small to large.

I have a Rolls PM52, which is a small, simple head phone amp. The fact that I bought mine over 10 years ago, and that they still make them to this day says something about their usefulness.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

Is use the DTXM-12 for backing tracks/loops/samples. When a its concerning a bigger/longer file I connect it to my MBP with Ableton Live.

As for my headphone amp, I use a standard firewire or usb audio interface or mixer. In a rack or a desktop. Works fine. Especially the multichannel ones.

Btw... A psp is just as rugged as an ipod (especially the flash models) the problem with those consumer products are that the sound quality is not as good as the use of a sampler/laptop/desktop in most ways.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:33 AM

Thank you for both replies. That is a really good point about the sound quality, you do have a higher rate coming out of a laptop or higher end portable device and I hadn't considered that.

For my issue I took a simple 1/4 splitter, Then took a mono to stereo convert. That way I can take the mix, separate the left, and then duplicate it to the right.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Gold Member

I set mine up the way most of you guys do, but I don't use a headphone amp anymore.
I just take use the phones jack on my mixer and adjust the levels the way I want before sending the signal with the tracks to the house.