DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-06-2010, 10:07 PM

Default Tip of stick keeps breaking...

What's up everyone? I have been dealing with a particular problem for awhile now, and was wondering if I was the only one ore if other had encountered the same issue. When playing, the first thing to go on my drum stick is the tip of it. It doesn't really break, but it flattens out. I using wood tips expect a little bit of wear on the end, after all I am not 100% accurate all the time, haha. But it's happening frequently enough that I think it has to do with how I have my ride setup or it's the stick itself. I have my ride bolted down pretty tight for picky reasons and I do have it tilted at about a 45 degree angle. Do you think it not having much movement when played that it could cause the stick issue? Or is it just a thing that happens with all wood tipped sticks? Any thoughts? Oh, and I use Vic Firth Danny Carey signature sticks (what can I say, I was a marching drummer first and just don't like the little tiny sticks).
Old 05-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Tip of stick keeps breaking...

Tips will wear a little less if there is some give to the cymbal so that may be part of the problem. Try loosening up that ride a little. It may sound a bit better too.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

I used Vics until the tips started chipping in about 15 minutes. Switched to Promark and problem solved. I like the tip shape better, too.

An alternative is the Regal Tip E-series. They are nylon tips that are finned, not solid. They sound very much like wood tips and never chip.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I usually keep my ride loose so that it swings a little more freely like my crashes, but with this ride it rings too much for my likings. Do you think it would keep the quick decay if I stack a bunch of felts on it til I can replace it as oposed to tightening it down like I have it now?

Drumtechdad, do you know of a Promark that has the length that the Danny Carey signature series has? The demensions are: Length- 16 1/2", .695" at butt, and 630" at shaft. Oh a side note, I use to use Promarks. What I really like about this stick is the cut out in the gripping area. Easy to hang on to and very well balanced. But I'm up to try something relatively close in demensions.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis22 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I usually keep my ride loose so that it swings a little more freely like my crashes, but with this ride it rings too much for my likings. Do you think it would keep the quick decay if I stack a bunch of felts on it til I can replace it as oposed to tightening it down like I have it now?
Put some Moongel or tape on it. Experiment with the placement until you get an acceptable sound.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

What i did with a pair of 5A's recently was put some duct tape half way down the stick (because i rimshot the snare all the time) which seems a better alternative than just having the naked stick taking the beating and breaking half way through a song. At least if it cracks of breaks then it is encased in the tape until the end of the song when i can change it.

I'm thinking of getting nylon tips doing this with all my sticks for the sake of durability since i have limited money. Oh, i do love being a student.

xoxo
Old 05-08-2010, 06:34 AM

Check out Vater.. XD-Rock, 2S, 3S.. or uh, marching sticks?
http://www.vater.com/newproducts/product.cfm?M=87

As for your ride.. 45? Really? ..And I suggest you try other dampening alternatives before tightening your ride up until it has no mobility.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis22 View Post

Drumtechdad, do you know of a Promark that has the length that the Danny Carey signature series has? The demensions are: Length- 16 1/2", .695" at butt, and 630" at shaft. Oh a side note, I use to use Promarks. What I really like about this stick is the cut out in the gripping area. Easy to hang on to and very well balanced. But I'm up to try something relatively close in demensions.

Thanks
http://www.vicfirth.com/

http://www.promark.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Put some Moongel or tape on it. Experiment with the placement until you get an acceptable sound.
If you use tape, use gaffer's tape (not duct tape) as it will not leave a residue. Try a 4" strip (with 1/4" of one end folded over for easy removal) on the underside of the cymbal. Fool around with placement and orientation. It's an old trick that works quite well taming the wash of a ride cymbal you otherwise like. Tightening the felts doesn't do the job and you're much more at risk of cracking the cymbal if you crash it at all.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, my ride angle may be a little different from some, but it works marvelous for me. As for th decay, I will give what you all suggested a shot. Never really thought about tape helping the wash sound on a ride, so thanks for that tip. As for the sticks...this weekend I went to the local drum shop and grabbed a few that were similar in size and style from both Vic Firth and Promark..gonna give these a whirl and see if I have any better luck. Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

The Regal Tip E-Series is the best choise for this kind of problem, but they don't make it in any size bigger than a 5B.

You can get your Danny sticks in a Nylon tips... That will keep them from breaking on you but then you will have a brighter sound on your cymbals.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:49 AM

Easy solution: Ditch plastic tipped sticks!!! They don't hold up under heavy playing and IMHO don't sound natural on quality cymbals. Why spent $200+ on a cymbal to hit it with a piece of plastic?