DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 04-17-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Where do you live?

i live in the Philippines.
metro manila.
smog. smoke. smog.
there's a healthy band scene here right now. where as a couple of years ago the music scene here was dominated by pop "divas" and r&b "crooners".
Old 04-17-2006, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Where Have You Lived?

ive lived on the jersey shore for all of my life...just a couple of miles (3-5) away from asbury park and the ocean.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:15 AM

Chicago
Detroit
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Detroit
Los Angeles
Taipei, Taiwan
Jakarta, Indonesia
Old 04-19-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat
Wow, St. Petersburg. If there's one city I want to see in the World it would be St. Petersburg. Such rich history and social changes in such short spans have really given it a multi-faceted and rich culture in comparison to a lot of other shorter-existing American cities.

I've lived in Gravesend, Kent, England for my whole life. We have Gary Noonan (drum maker) and are known as the deathplace of Pocohontas. The theory is that she saw Gravesend and gave up hope. I feel the same, the place is horrendus. Only good thing are the plentiful transport links to get me out.

You're welcome, MFB, I'll show you the city with pleasure. But it'll take a week or two to see a half of historical places here in Saint-Pete. It needs 6 days to see all of Hermitage exhibits, if you'll look on each item for a 10 seconds....
Old 04-19-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReX
Taipei, Taiwan
My girlfriend's job took her there for a great deal of last year (she's usually going back and forth from th U.S. and Kuala Lumpur, Maylasia). Didn't get to visit Taipei with her during that time but it looks like an interesting place. Tallest building (recently) in the world - 101. Think that hotel they're building in India's going to beat it. Was told the cost of living was extremely expensive in Taipei. Doesn't Mapex have their factory, there?

Max- I think I could spend a couple of weeks at the Hermitage alone! I recently watched a documentary about it's restoration a few years back. Quite a collection.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:53 PM

born in lynn,ma
charlottesville,va
portland,oregon
oakland,ca
portland,me
lynn,ma
providence,ri

got a friend in toronto and eventually would like to move there.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Where do you live / where have you lived?

i'm a german guy that lives in cairo, egypt. i was born in munich ( I guess some of you know this place) and moved to cairo 4 years ago.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Stu_Strib

Hey Low-tech, how did you like Portland? My wife and I plan to move there someday because it has such a great quality of life and is so beautiful!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:57 PM

around washington dc
Remo Heads
Email: hotsauce3n@aim.com

MY DRUMS
Old 04-26-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Hey Low-tech, how did you like Portland? My wife and I plan to move there someday because it has such a great quality of life and is so beautiful!
which one?

i prefer oregon. relatively cheap rent when i was there 5 years ago, dont know about now tho. hippy town<southeastern part, lots of volkswagon vans>, low crime, incredible nature surounding you<didnt really get to explore much which i regret>, they built a trainline,i believe, after i left<public transport is clean and safe>. i wasnt there long enough to really settle in tho,how i arrived and left there is a long story. in downtown someone converted a supermarket in the largest bookstore ive ever seen and there are bike lanes everywhere<unlike where i live now>. people are incredibly nice, the residential nieghborhoods look like high end suburbs. doesnt have the "sprawl"<think las vegas or LA> of many western or westcoast cities

the drawbacks: weather for most, but being from the northeast i had no problem. an alarming amount of junkies and wingnuts,plenty of them everywhere.

portland, ME is a quiet little college town. i didnt like it much because it didnt have a large music scene<punk,metal> and new englanders cant hold a candle to southerners or westcoasters in terms of being polite,civilized humans<i say this as a new englander, born in Massachusetts>. the place was too small for me and not close enough to boston and other cities. my roomates there were selling drugs and into a bad scene so after being there a few months i rolled out.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Stu_Strib

Yeah, I meant Oregon, sorry, didn't see the ME one.

That bookstore is purported to be the largest in the world (but I think that is mostly folklore). Is the public transportation in the downtown part still totally free? I read that the city blocks are actually half the dimension of normal ones, which contributes to the nice airy open feel and lack of sprawl, and contributes to the ease of cycling and walking around.

I also just read that Oregon is the only State in the US that actually had a decrease in overweight population over the past couple of years, and that Portland is the leanest major city in America (bike lanes, like you said, and employers that give bonuses to bikers).
Old 04-26-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Yeah, I meant Oregon, sorry, didn't see the ME one.

That bookstore is purported to be the largest in the world (but I think that is mostly folklore). Is the public transportation in the downtown part still totally free? I read that the city blocks are actually half the dimension of normal ones, which contributes to the nice airy open feel and lack of sprawl, and contributes to the ease of cycling and walking around.

I also just read that Oregon is the only State in the US that actually had a decrease in overweight population over the past couple of years, and that Portland is the leanest major city in America (bike lanes, like you said, and employers that give bonuses to bikers).
its probably not the largest since there have been megaplex malls being built all over with nordstroms and barnes and nobles, multi-floor monstrosities including cafes and a music selection. but this place is a hundred times cooler. this town has more used books stores than anywhere ive ever seen. they have an atari only arcade, vegan restaurants,independant movie theatres,one of the first public skate parks built in america, excellent music stores and im sure of a well rounded music scene<not necessarily the stuff im into>. i enjoyed the lack of sports teams<i grew up around dealing with red sox fans in boston,it sucks>with fans notorious for forming drunken mobs and creating choas on the weekends.

free public transport? i dont know, the bus system has a transfer system that i believe is all-day<it may actually be a few hours but the drivers never checked every time i used one, this is what i assumed>. i visited there a few years ago and they were still building or close to completion of an above ground rail system. riding a bike you can get everywhere in town in a little more than a half hour. you may have to buy a pass for loading a bike on a bus tho, but i heard its like 5 bucks a year. doesnt sound to bad.

smallest city blocks of a city that size, that what i read somewhere. also its always on the top 10 lists of places to live for various magazines.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Administrator

I was born in West Virginia,
Have lived in Va.
Uncle Sam sent me to Berlin Germany
Then I lived in Maryland
Now I'm in Florida, halfway between Tampa, and The Sister city of St. Petersburg, small town called Seminole.
This is Gods Waiting room. And a Photo of my back yard
Attached Images

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 11-12-2006 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Somewhere up north near the 48th parallel, where in winter, temperature reach minus 40 celcius and in summer we have 18 hours of daylight. Where forest is everywhere and maple, birch and beech grows in our backyards. I live in the province of Quebec in Canada.

Moi aussi je parle français ! À vrai dire je suis un Québecois pur laine !!!

My Kit Latest Update

Last edited by mind_drummer; 04-26-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:59 AM

I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, about 45 minutes from Philadelphia and about 10 minutes from Valley Forge, PA. Born in Hazleton PA, grew up in New Jersey and moved here in 1989...spent time(not "did time) in the northwestern part of Iowa, Colorado and went to college in Staten Island NY.

Christian Drummers Army
Old 04-28-2006, 11:17 PM

I was born in Seattle but now I live in oregon!!!YAY!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 12:54 AM

17 Years in North Africa, 2 years in Leicester England, 2 years in Manchester England, 6 years in Boston Massachussetts, 2 years back in North Africa, and moving to Florida in 2007.
I just love being a globe trotter...
Old 04-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat
Wow, St. Petersburg. If there's one city I want to see in the World it would be St. Petersburg. Such rich history and social changes in such short spans have really given it a multi-faceted and rich culture in comparison to a lot of other shorter-existing American cities.
I 2nd that, but yeah...I live in Amish-ville ohio, in the United States. town called dover
Old 05-08-2006, 08:24 PM

HI, i live in Argentina. Play in a rock band.

Cheers.
www.rapelrock.com.ar
Old 05-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Senior Administrator

i live here:

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 05-13-2006, 07:11 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Camarillo, California
San Antonio, Texas (37th Training Wing)
Alexandria, Virginia (1st Fighter Wing)
Minot, North Dakota (5th Bomb Wing and 91st Space Wing)
Spangdahlem, Germany (52nd Fighter Wing)
Ventura, California
Santa Barbara, California
Chatsworth, California
Oxnard, California (Pacific Missile Test Center)
Van Nuys, California
Las Vegas, Nevada

I guess Stormrider is right, a lot of us Americans have served our time in the military.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berberman
17 Years in North Africa, 2 years in Leicester England, 2 years in Manchester England, 6 years in Boston Massachussetts, 2 years back in North Africa, and moving to Florida in 2007.
I just love being a globe trotter...
I'll save you a spot on the beach..on the Gulf side, what we call the Left Coast
Old 05-19-2006, 04:15 AM

I live in Metairie Louisiana which is about 10-15 minutes away from New Orleans depending on the traffic. My house got flooded and all when the hurricane hit, but it's all good now cause I got my drumset, my house is rebuilt, and I am famous at school for just being me.
I'm 15 years old and go to Grace King High School where I am 3rd bass drum on the drumline(THE BEST!!) Everyone tells me that I should play snare and have my own band but since we have to buy our own instruments due to the schools uncompareable lack of wealth and my own I am not so fortunate. I idolize Pantera's unique style and Slayer's, but am not to apt to all the (hardcore) that everyone enjoys so much in these parts.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:32 AM
Silver Member

I live in Raleigh, North Carolina in the United States of America. I have also lived in Asheville, North Carolina and thats all I have lived. I know kind of boring.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
...and new englanders cant hold a candle to southerners or westcoasters in terms of being polite,civilized humans<i say this as a new englander, born in Massachusetts>.
Thanks for he props, low- tech (the Southern part). Native folks down here really do try to keep that old idea of 'Southern Hospitality' alive, but it's getting more and more difficult each year as "everybody and his brother" chooses to move here. Don't get me wrong - we're just having trouble adjusting to the population explosion and the resulting number of cars, traffic and the the inability to keep up with the basic services required by all. We desperately need a good rapid transit system. The current one is, unfortunately, a joke - very corrupt politics involved - and is little more than a couple of 'toy trains' and a handful of nasty buses.

DogBreath - very impressive resume'. Air Force? How long?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Where do you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Moi j'habite aussi en Suisse - a Bâle - plus précisement a Riehen. Pas trés loin, n'est-ce pas? Peutêtre 60 kilometres? La monde est devenue très petite....

Bernhard
Hy you friendly drummers.......Bernhard and all of you, when i started to post, i just forgot to say how wonderful this site is. Really!!! Therefore, thank you a lot for making this happen.

Now to myself, i live i Porto, Northern Portugal (Does not belong to spain....lol.....there are people who think of that), i was born in Freiburg im Breisgau (Germany) and........."Bernhard, Mensch, waere diese Internetgeschichte vor 5-10 Jahren schon so fortgeschritten wie Heut, koennten wir uns in Basel treffen, waren grad 45 min. mit'm Auto entfernt, Schade"........."Und es Lebe die BibberBaerlis und Kandersteg......man war es schoen dort"...
Well after Germany, i moved to Portugal and that's where i live now!........
By the way, Dogbreath, Karlsruhe was not really farway from Freiburg.........that means i was just in the middle of you and Bernhard!
God Bless You All
Paulo
Old 05-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loge
DogBreath - very impressive resume'. Air Force? How long?
Only 4 1/2 years, but long enough to make Sergeant by the time I was 21. I was so young when I enlisted (just three months after my 17th birthday) that I needed a note from my mom saying that it was OK. After I got out I got a job as a civilian contractor for another three years working for the Navy.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:43 PM

I live in a small town called Abergavenny, South Wales, Uk. It sucks and the music scene up here is mostly either r+b, club music or emo and punk. my band r like the only metal band around this area :D:D so we make quite an impact at local gigs hehe its like punk and emo bands...then us..DEATHMETAL :D its bout an hour from cardiff if you know where tht is :P

Old 05-22-2006, 07:17 PM

I live in Bradenton, FL. I used to live in Lewiston , ME. GO BOSTON AND PATRIOTS
Old 05-22-2006, 08:47 PM

Well this is the town I'm from!

Norway's coast heart!

So tell me what u guys think!

I will post some pics of my house too soon!
Old 05-29-2006, 11:51 AM

born and raised in hawaii...on the island of oahu
Old 05-29-2006, 03:04 PM
jorn

Aalborg, Denmark for 30 years - home of the danish Snaps(vodka)
Chennai, India for 2 years
Ipoh, Malaysia for 8 years - still there.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:23 AM

I was born in Russia, Moscow .
Old 06-13-2006, 06:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Ive lived in Chicago, then moved to Port Charlotte, Florida. After that, I moved to a town a little outside of Melbourne, moved once there. After that, I moved back to Florida. Im now in Tampa.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:36 AM

Currently a small Alabama town. I have lived in Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago, Augsburg Germany, and Anniston Alabama.

Gretsch Catalina's
Sabians
SD9 Drivers
Evans G1 Coated
Old 06-16-2006, 10:50 PM

I live in a small city in the state of Wisconsin I've lived here my whole life, it's a great place :)
Old 06-20-2006, 02:10 AM

Hi,
I come from germany and I live in trier (oldest city of germany, maybe do you know?)
I've started drums at the age of 21, now I'm 28. Since 2 months I have a new band,
called...? unfortunately we don't still have a name! Just we're playing cover of bands like stone temple pilots, better than ezra, jack johnson, green day, pearl jam ... but in future we wanted to play more funk-rock and groovy stuff. maybe my favorite drummers are ian paice, gerry brown, tommy igoe, billy cobham, elvin jones, joe porcaro, charly antolini,
andy gillmann from germany, a great groovy drummer!) and so much more...

I'm so impressed about the very young drummers here. They're great!
Sometimes I wish I had more time to play drums but it's difficult because of my working times.
At the moment I try to work out a drumsolo. puuh! recording with garageband at my ibook.
Do you have some tricks or anything! Thanks for your help! And please sorry for my "not really" good english!
A great site, a great forum!

Have a good time and keep on drumming!
verena

I've play pearl drums, zildjian, sabian & istanbul cymbals

Last edited by groove sister; 06-20-2006 at 03:30 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:09 PM
Pioneer Member

I live in Aberfoyle in Scotland, I always have. That's about it.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:25 AM
Gold Member

Born and raised in Pasadena, California. Lived there 40 years.
Moved to Indianapolis in August, 2000. Split time between Los Angeles and Indianapolis now.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:05 AM

I live in a village called Bagillt on the Dee Estuary in North East Wales.
As the crow flies Liverpool is 11 miles to the north. The town of Flint 2 miles east is where I was brought up so I haven't moved far !

The Dee Estuary is a sanctuary for wading birds, and we watch the tide rise & fall from the house. A380 airbus wings are made near Chester and are brought up the estuary by barge.

There are Welsh castles all along this coast and beaches, so there's lots of history.

Ths Sonor Snare is on my wishlist !
Attached Images

Last edited by Yogman; 06-29-2006 at 12:21 AM.