DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-21-2010, 05:50 PM

Default EC1 vs EC2

Is the difference big, considering that both are 14 mil thick? What head to mount on 10" and 12" toms?

Btw, how's the EC snare head doing? Close to powerstroke3 ?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: EC1 vs EC2

EC2 is my favorite tom head, and the EC1 is among my least favorites. The EC1 as a single-ply is more choked (some people will say 'focused') and feels stiffer (some say 'more responsive') than the EC2, whose 2 plies move with each other - subtle though it seems - and makes for a noticeably sweeter, punchier sound, with a better feel. At least for me.

I wanted to like the EC1 for its supposed durability advantage, but I really disliked the sound and feel. I took them off my toms immediately after putting them on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a die-hard Evans guy. But every company has their Radia cymbal, Catapult pedal, etc.

Bermuda
Old 04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

The EC2 snare head sounds too woody and toneless to me. But then again that's on the snare at my music college which no one ever tunes properly. Or ever, at all. So out of the one that i've tried, i didn't like it but there's all sort of other factors that come into it.
xoxo
Old 04-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Hadn't thought about the EC2 as a snare head... they have the EC Reverse Dot which I like, not woofy at all (but I do know the sound you're talking about.)

Bermuda
Old 04-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
EC2 is my favorite tom head, and the EC1 is among my least favorites. The EC1 as a single-ply is more choked (some people will say 'focused') and feels stiffer (some say 'more responsive') than the EC2, whose 2 plies move with each other - subtle though it seems - and makes for a noticeably sweeter, punchier sound, with a better feel. At least for me.

I wanted to like the EC1 for its supposed durability advantage, but I really disliked the sound and feel. I took them off my toms immediately after putting them on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a die-hard Evans guy. But every company has their Radia cymbal, Catapult pedal, etc.

Bermuda
I agree to a point. I think the EC1 works quite well on larger toms but way too choked on smaller toms. Best on very resonant shells too. I found they lost tone very quickly. They might be durable, but they sag & get lifeless in no time. I find EC2's are warm but a bit wooly. Rather like Remo Pinstripe. I'm a die-hard Evans guy too, but my weapon of choice is G2. So much more life than EC2, but still offers depth & warmth.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

+1 for G2's.

Those with clear G1 resos and you've got a winner. Once my current Hydraulics (and stock remo UX resos) start to sound lifeless coated G2's over G1's will definitely be my next purchase. Durable, warm tone with plenty of attack and also i just like the look of new coated heads on a full set.
xoxo