DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Default Ever had a punch up at your Gig ?

I had one the other day and i just wondered if it was common ?

(It was one of the most exciting gigs ive ever done !)
Old 04-08-2010, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Ever had a punch up at your Gig ?

Do you mean you personally had a punch up? Or there was one going on while you were playing? Either way I've not experienced any.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, I've seen a few. Some bordering on the hysterical given the druken state of the turkeys participating.......no-one got seriously hurt and we were all ROFL, like watching an impromtu 'comedy routine'. Others really quite frightening given the level of violence involved......knives, stabbings, pool cues and bar stools.......vicious indeed.

Even played in a band where the bass player once belted the lead singer before a gig. We did our show as if nothing had happened and they continued it in the car park afterwards......that one was quite funny!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyBait911 View Post
I had one the other day and i just wondered if it was common ?

(It was one of the most exciting gigs ive ever done !)
What's the story there, Sharky?

As for me, they don't call me The Terminator for nothing! Ok, they don't call me that at all ...
Old 04-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

at metal gigs? yeah. we've had to stop playing mid-set to stop kids from destroying each other. and yeah if me/friends go to hardcore/metal gigs then there is always fighting. but at normal gigs? nope.
depends on the gig/venue, some places it is totally normal, others it isn't.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Big_Philly

Most of my gigs are Christian worship. I'd find it hilarious if it happened there.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

I always say if there's a fight during a gig that's a good night if you or any of your friends don't. get hurt & it not the beginning of the night of course LOL

I look at it like this you don't. see a fight in a empty club & usually in a packed club which means there are people buying drinks & lots of them so the club makes out & when the club owner happy you'll be happy also.

Good clubs know how too deal with fights, when alcohol is involved its just a matter of time & usually they are prepared.

Just have good common sense.

Bonzolead
Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 PM

My ex-band opened up for some guys at the Bullet Bar in Camden, they were on tour..based in Manchester and seemed to be about 10 years to late for the Brit Pop era (Not really my thing),
The singer and guitarist start knocking into each other during their set, didn't seem too bad but you could tell it was getting a little personal..
Anyways I was outside loading my bits and bobs into my car and they started having a punch up in and around their van after bursting out of the venue looking they were trying to kill one another. One of them shouted

'You threw a bit of paper at me!'

Which I thought was the most un-rock and roll thing to have a fight about.

That's the closest I've ever had to a punch up, I play for 40+ year olds now so punch ups are very rare.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The singer and guitarist start knocking into each other during their set, didn't seem too bad but you could tell it was getting a little personal..
Anyways I was outside loading my bits and bobs into my car and they started having a punch up in and around their van after bursting out of the venue looking they were trying to kill one another. One of them shouted

'You threw a bit of paper at me!'
WHAT PUSSIES!! :)

And what a shame you didn't get a recording of the exchange. It would bring the house down if played at a party for a landmark birthday (40, 50 etc). You'd need a paramedic there to handle possible heart attacks
Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

a long time ago when i was still in high school my band played a big house party for literally hundreds of people. we were set up on an indoor balcony overlooking a large living area. we were playing a song when we suddenly noticed that a bunch of guys with instruments were charging up the stairs, apparently about to overthrow us by force! (were we that bad?) a few big guys grabbed onto them and pulled them off the stairs. there was a bit of a brawl and they were thrown out the door. i later heard that they were party crasher musicians!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
What's the story there, Sharky?

As for me, they don't call me The Terminator for nothing! Ok, they don't call me that at all ...
Haha ok then i shall speak of this wonderful tale,

We were coming to the end of our last set and we were getting into our danciest numbers (kings of leon etc) and there were two groups of drunks dancing and one of the lads knocked another from the the other group and hey started to argue and push and shove etc
THEN
one of the lads pushed on stage and got out lead vocal mike and started to shout abuse at the others...... We just kept playing...... i was worried he was going to come and get my sticks or some thing but he didnt, then they started to push more then the first fists went flying but it stopped when people broke it up but for them moments when it was all going it was great !..... in the end we finished our very extended version of sex on fire and went home !
Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyairman View Post
a long time ago when i was still in high school my band played a big house party for literally hundreds of people. we were set up on an indoor balcony overlooking a large living area. we were playing a song when we suddenly noticed that a bunch of guys with instruments were charging up the stairs, apparently about to overthrow us by force! (were we that bad?) a few big guys grabbed onto them and pulled them off the stairs. there was a bit of a brawl and they were thrown out the door. i later heard that they were party crasher musicians!
I swear we were double booked!.......and we calmly left on our own, thank you.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Many years ago, hell when I just a kid, really, I was playing in a blues band in North Carolina. We had a Saturday night gig at a bar connected to a motel, a large room with a decent stage. It was your basic southern roadhouse. The clientele were...well, they were rednecks. But they seemed to like us and everyone was drinking and dancing.

Then, during the second set, two of the big-haired ladies who were there got into a fist fight right on the dance floor, no doubt over some feller. Before you knew it, there had to be twenty people engaged in a full-blown free-for-all, right on the dance floor in front of the band. It was a riot situation, man. So the bar-manager decides to break out the tear gas. That's right, he TEAR GASSED the place. Everybody started making for the exit, where the brawl continued outside.

Now tear gas doesn't just make you cry. It stings like a bitch and makes your face go all raw. All you want to do is get away as fast as you can. But we, the band and our girlfriends, didn't dare try to escape with all our gear through the chaos outside, so we huddled on the bandstand, holding wet napkins to our faces. Apparently there was no other way out. Then another fight broke out between a couple of the band-members over why we were even playing there in the first place. This went on until a whole squadron of police arrived and broke everything up.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
Many years ago, hell when I just a kid, really, I was playing in a blues band in North Carolina. We had a Saturday night gig at a bar connected to a motel, a large room with a decent stage. It was your basic southern roadhouse. The clientele were...well, they were rednecks. But they seemed to like us and everyone was drinking and dancing.

Then, during the second set, two of the big-haired ladies who were there got into a fist fight right on the dance floor, no doubt over some feller. Before you knew it, there had to be twenty people engaged in a full-blown free-for-all, right on the dance floor in front of the band. It was a riot situation, man. So the bar-manager decides to break out the tear gas. That's right, he TEAR GASSED the place. Everybody started making for the exit, where the brawl continued outside.

Now tear gas doesn't just make you cry. It stings like a bitch and makes your face go all raw. All you want to do is get away as fast as you can. But we, the band and our girlfriends, didn't dare try to escape with all our gear through the chaos outside, so we huddled on the bandstand, holding wet napkins to our faces. Apparently there was no other way out. Then another fight broke out between a couple of the band-members over why we were even playing there in the first place. This went on until a whole squadron of police arrived and broke everything up.

thinks to self : i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to start a blues band.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Silver Member

Haha good story con struct!

Playing in, and going to a lot of metal and hardcore gigs, it means it can get a bit rough. Towards the end of the night if you have a good crowd there will definitely be mosh pits. Although, there are sort of unwritten rules never to take what goes on in that situation personally, however some people do and it can occasionally end in fights and stuff.

At our gig tonight actually there were a gang of skinhead metal types (think Phil Anselmo from Pantera) and they were going crazy! Right at the front of the crowd in our lead singers face punching the air and stuff (I think they may have been the sort to have 'controversial' thoughts on peoples ethnicity). In the midst of all this one skinhead punch in the air but accidently hit my lead singer in the crotch. He wasn't happy. He's got quite a short fuse so I'm surprised he didn't say/do anything. I glad he didn't though because they were pretty big guys.

Hey, I'm a lover, not a fighter!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:51 PM

we had a 3 way chick fight going on during our set once. a patty wagon came lol. think i still have the footage.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Administrator

WHAT PUSSIES!! :)

Can we say that in here?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Silver Member

I played at a hardcore/metal show at which people in the pit busted out chains and brass knuckles during the band that played after us. Then, in the midst of the brawl, someone got slammed into a merch table. The table collapsed and the glass tip jar shattered, leaving a nice mix of blood, glass, coins and t-shirts all over the floor. Later on that night someone broke the window with a skateboard.

Another one of our shows we achieved our band goal of having girls fight in the pit while we were playing. Hair was pulled and they were eventually thrown out of the venue.

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050
Old 04-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyBait911 View Post
one of the lads pushed on stage and got our lead vocal mike and started to shout abuse at the others...... We just kept playing...... i was worried he was going to come and get my sticks or some thing but he didnt, then they started to push more then the first fists went flying but it stopped when people broke it up but for them moments when it was all going it was great !..... in the end we finished our very extended version of sex on fire and went home !
Would have been awesome if you had recorded the gig - instant cult classic!

Jay, your tale is completely insane. Being stuck in tear gas with your instruments, protected only by wet napkins. I hope you were paid extra for that one!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

Most fights at my gigs are the result of some lame brain going a bit too far in the moshpit and ensuing retaliation. My bassist (6-4, 340 lbs) and I (5-8, 250 lbs) had to form a scrum-line to protect our PA and effects rack when we ran sound for another band when the edge of the pit came within 5 feet of our gear.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:54 AM
Silver Member

WOW! Great post. I have a good story.....

One night...probably Friday in 1991 in Priest River, Idaho at EZ Ed's. Does it sound like a biker bar or what?!?

At the end of our 3rd set (4th set was last) we were playing the last song and noticed EVERYONE leave the place and go out front. Blah blah blah we ended the song.....(dadadada dododo doh doh doh SMASH!) My keyboard player/lead singer, Linda, (wife), says "I'm going out front to see wass up". I am getting out from behind the kit and I walk out front......maybe 1 minute behind Linda. Here is what I see......a dude clutching his face, on the ground reeling in pain. (hahahahahahaha)

Well......I suddenly remembered...when we had first arrived to the gig, there was a "sweet" parking space RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DOOR!! Duh! I'm taking that and not lugging my kit and keyboards for a block down the street. Hahaha...well, wouldn't ya' know, that's RIGHT WHERE the fight started. Two a-hole drunks were fighting & smashed a steel sign right into my car hood!! When Linda went out there - THAT"S WHAT SHE SAW..I can hear her now..."Oh, no, you DIDN'T just smash my new car..." She proceeded to grab the nearest dude that "may have" caused the car damage and SMASHED HIS effin' face into the front of same said car, breaking his nose!!!!

I am a wimp ....apparently. I missed the whole thing..being a drummer and all...I had to get out from behind my kit and "stuff." Drummers...sheesh.

But, amazingly enough, the next week...the same guy (with fashionable nose bandage) and his fighting buddy, showed up at our gig and were bragging..."Hey, that's the chick who broke my nose man...yeah, she's bad ass...."

Ha, ha...my wife...I love her still! And yes, she did approve this message....;o)

Funny stuff, man.

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 04-14-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBadd View Post
WOW! Great post. I have a good story.....

One night...probably Friday in 1991 in Priest River, Idaho at EZ Ed's. Does it sound like a biker bar or what?!?

At the end of our 3rd set (4th set was last) we were playing the last song and noticed EVERYONE leave the place and go out front. Blah blah blah we ended the song.....(dadadada dododo doh doh doh SMASH!) My keyboard player/lead singer, Linda, (wife), says "I'm going out front to see wass up". I am getting out from behind the kit and I walk out front......maybe 1 minute behind Linda. Here is what I see......a dude clutching his face, on the ground reeling in pain. (hahahahahahaha)

Well......I suddenly remembered...when we had first arrived to the gig, there was a "sweet" parking space RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DOOR!! Duh! I'm taking that and not lugging my kit and keyboards for a block down the street. Hahaha...well, wouldn't ya' know, that's RIGHT WHERE the fight started. Two a-hole drunks were fighting & smashed a steel sign right into my car hood!! When Linda went out there - THAT"S WHAT SHE SAW..I can hear her now..."Oh, no, you DIDN'T just smash my new car..." She proceeded to grab the nearest dude that "may have" caused the car damage and SMASHED HIS effin' face into the front of same said car, breaking his nose!!!!

I am a wimp ....apparently. I missed the whole thing..being a drummer and all...I had to get out from behind my kit and "stuff." Drummers...sheesh.

But, amazingly enough, the next week...the same guy (with fashionable nose bandage) and his fighting buddy, showed up at our gig and were bragging..."Hey, that's the chick who broke my nose man...yeah, she's bad ass...."

Ha, ha...my wife...I love her still! And yes, she did approve this message....;o)

Funny stuff, man.
WOW! She actually broke his nose? The little Missus sounds pretty tough. I bet you never forget to take out the trash or put the toilet seat back down, LOL!
Old 04-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

These are all such great stories. I've got a couple.
Once I was at a friend's gig. This mullet wearing, Camaro driving type guy had a little too much to drink and was being escorted out of the bar by a bouncer. The bouncer kept trying to take mullet man by the arm but he was having none of that. He turned around and body checked the bouncer who went flying and ended up taking out a couple of tables. These tables were full of drinks and surrounded by some pretty surprised people. Some punches were thrown but the bouncer was able to gain controll of the situation and get the jerk out of the bar.
On a different occasion, when my band was playing, a little scuffle started up on the dance floor. The bouncers got right on it and ejected the two in very quick order. I later found out that some drunk kept hitting on my lead singers mom and was taking it too far. His dad didn't take to kindly to that and decided to get involved. If you knew my lead singers parents, you would never think of them as trouble makers. It just goes to show you that nobody is immune to trouble when alcohol and large crowds are involved.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
they don't call me The Terminator for nothing! Ok, they don't call me that at all ...
^^^^ LOL!

Years ago when I was knee high to a flea... We were house band for a little dive called the Village Centre Inn(VCI we called it) in Swedesboro? NJ...
Anyway we would twice or thrice a year rent a bus, round up all of our (drunken) friends and get em all to and from the show safely and provide a keg on the bus to keep the "thirst" down and get everyone pumped for the gig.

One night as we were playing the first breakdown in "How Many More Times" from Zep, somewhere in the middle of the third set... I noticed alot of movement in the crowd. Within seconds, the whole one side of the bar was goin at it, HARD. The bassist and I kept playing, watching and wondering if it would just die down. Then a stool went over the bar into a shelve or two of liquor bottles and smashed the mirror wall behind it. Thats when we pulled the plug...

These 15 or so drunken morons continued to fight for almost 20 minutes until the fuzz showed up. The scrap found its way outside and somehow a 50 lb decorative rock(boulder?) went through the big glass window in the front of the place. Thats when the tear gas went off. Now this fight may have been instigated by "our" people but the locals were the ones really f' ing sh!t up.... Our one roadie got gassed and was vomiting all over the stage as others were rolling on the ground choking to death on the spray.

I ve witnessed a few other fights but this one sticks in my head so clearly... I was all of about 17 at the time so I guess that was the first real barfight I ever saw. In the end, there was almost 20 arrests and about $8,000 in property damages. It was the best night the VCI had as far as revenue though, so we got paid, our equipment was fine and we were there playing 2 weeks later as if nothing happened.

Man I love memories!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:25 AM
Silver Member

I replied once already but....you gotta read this.

We were playing in Sandpoint, Idaho in 1991. A Rock And Roll joint....period! So....the set goes on as is normal. We rock....the crowd rocks! and we have a good time. The 3rd set (of 4) starts about 11:00 PM. My wife/keyboards/lead singer starts rocking....my back is toward the "main st" window. THE NEXT THING I see/hear is....CRASHhhhh...broken glass and a piece of 3" by 4" STEEL PLATE wizz by my wifes head. TAKE A BREAK NOW! Window broken, steel piece on the floor....wife OK!!!

You see, these total DHd's in the club saw us talking to a local guy (African American) best guy ever!!! They were NOT locals......just idiots....saw "the band" talking to "others". They took revenge. Well....cops came out...FOUND THE F's....they all got fired from their temporary job and we kept rocking!!!

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 PM

A while ago we were playing a Christmas gig at a rugby club. One of the players who thought he was a bit special stepped onstage & stole our singer's santa hat (regulation gig wear at Christmas) What he didn't know was that our singer (a fireman) is like well hard, but a nice patient guy... so he let him wear his Hat for the rest of the gig. When he asked for it back after we'd loaded out, the player refused and laughed in his face. Patience over... good night rugby player... knocked him out in one punch...

Never steal the frontman's Santa hat...
Old 04-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

Havent been much fighting on my gigs, but I remember some dudes trying to take backflips outside the pub and landing on their faces. Oh, and the one time I backhanded the keys-player in my old band(not the same keys-player I play with now) in the face for being an obnoxious twat.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Ok, we've moved on from band violence to general violence, mayhem and old war stories. Some classics ... KBadd's wife, Ms BADDDD ... the drunken riot ... the fireman's stolen Santa hat lol

Here's a shocker of mine, 1981 vintage. I've probably told it before but that's what old people do.

Anyway, we're playing at this bar near the wharves. All these rough wharfie guys in singlets sitting at the bar getting pissed while we're setting up. They're the day crowd - the humans turn up at night to see the bands. Suddenly this woman appears at the door and starts screaming at one of the drunks ... he probably missed a wedding or something. She storms in, picks up one of the spill trays from the bar, and hurls it at the husband.

He ducked and the corner of the tray hit the guy next to him splitting his head open like elevator doors. Bloody everywhere. They drag him off to the toilets and he staggers out after a while with a blood-soaked bandage around his head. He sat back down and kept drinking.

So we play the gig. No dramas, and we're packing up.

By now the guy with the bandage is completely paralytic as well as concussed. He stands up and starts walking (i.e. staggering). His right leg is heading towards the toilets and his left leg is heading towards the band area. Something had to give ... and he fell into one of our hired Bose PA speakers that was mounted on a stand.

The speaker started falling ... you know that slow motion thing in the movies? ... NOOOOOOOooooo! The speaker crashes on to our singer's flute, which was sitting in its open case on the floor. It bent her flute like V. Bye bye flute.

The next week she presented a new song to us at band practice - called Bent Out of Shape ...
Old 04-24-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Ok, we've moved on from band violence to general violence, mayhem and old war stories. Some classics ... KBadd's wife, Ms BADDDD ... the drunken riot ... the fireman's stolen Santa hat lol

Here's a shocker of mine, 1981 vintage. I've probably told it before but that's what old people do.

Anyway, we're playing at this bar near the wharves. All these rough wharfie guys in singlets sitting at the bar getting pissed while we're setting up. They're the day crowd - the humans turn up at night to see the bands. Suddenly this woman appears at the door and starts screaming at one of the drunks ... he probably missed a wedding or something. She storms in, picks up one of the spill trays from the bar, and hurls it at the husband.

He ducked and the corner of the tray hit the guy next to him splitting his head open like elevator doors. Bloody everywhere. They drag him off to the toilets and he staggers out after a while with a blood-soaked bandage around his head. He sat back down and kept drinking.

So we play the gig. No dramas, and we're packing up.

By now the guy with the bandage is completely paralytic as well as concussed. He stands up and starts walking (i.e. staggering). His right leg is heading towards the toilets and his left leg is heading towards the band area. Something had to give ... and he fell into one of our hired Bose PA speakers that was mounted on a stand.

The speaker started falling ... you know that slow motion thing in the movies? ... NOOOOOOOooooo! The speaker crashes on to our singer's flute, which was sitting in its open case on the floor. It bent her flute like V. Bye bye flute.

The next week she presented a new song to us at band practice - called Bent Out of Shape ...
Ha ha ha Awesome story! LOL
I've often wanted to do do that to moody flautists!! only with my bare hands not a bose speaker...
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 PM
sufc.loyal

Was in the shelf, at tottenhams ground once when the West Hams ICF came storming in from the park lane end, they were playing music over the tanoy, does that count.