DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-21-2007, 05:03 AM

Default Re: THE HEEL TOE THREAD

any one with any size feet , on any bass drum can use the heel toe method.
ask your drum instructor about it,
read thru this thread for opinions,

or try, the ACTION of heel coming in to pedal but the
FACT of the middle part of your foot doing the first stroke,
then simply use toe down as secondary stroke.

its NO different than hitting a drum stick to a drum with downstroke and then using fingers to pull secondary stroke. the mechanics are the same.

one shoe on the floor can practice the move, heel toe heel toe, then
mimic same excat motion on BD pedal and keep messing with it until you get a clean loud solid stroke out of the first move.
if you keep looking you WILL find it.

theres many opinions, Tim has a a lighter, faster movement than I do, but mine is much louder. I dont use triggers or drumometers, I play an acoustic bass drum.
I jumped up on the WFD stage one year at namm and smoked some doubles,
then Tim blew my doors off ) speed wise, but not volume wise! HA! Then told everyone that my way was the wrong way. (wrong for hitting speed on a drumometer perhaps thats true)
I'm still kickin ass with my way of heel toe and I have video to prove it!
I'm still getting quads with one foot with this technique, I do them in time and anytime I want to.
the same technique my first drum teacher showed me.
so Ill always be a fan.
I have video I will be happy to email anyone who wants to see of this but be warned the video is dressed up with TRICK logos and is footage of the bigfoot bedals.
regardless.. you CAN use heel toe no matter what size foot.
lower your heel and swing your leg in like the space shuttle landing, keep trying to find the sweet spot of your middle foot, once you get the first note, the second is cake.

god bless all of you and happy holidays!
my email is chip @ chipritter.com (no spaces)
www.chipritter.com
Old 12-21-2007, 01:56 PM

Can anyone explain Jojo's technique?
Old 12-23-2007, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

The average/standard foot board is 10" Long boards are 12"... not a big stretch. Joe Stronsick (heel toe guru) will tell you flat out that anything over 9.5 shoe size on a standard board and you're out of the game, this of course is bare foot playing.

I've found with a 'long board' you're good up to 11.5 which is actually pushing it, 11 to be in the full potential mode, again bare foot.

There's no reason you couldn't fashion your own long board any length you want it. Ultimately you want the heel hitting on, or in front of the rear hinge (pivot point), best in front of it.

I don't see the point in trying to play heel-toe with shoes on, there's slop in the shoe fit which will complicate the move. I'm sure some guys are doing it (with small feet) but bare foot is the most controllable option.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman050 View Post
Can anyone explain Jojo's technique?
Jojo starts his stroke with the ball of his foot, then drops his leg. This is not as efficient as heel-toe proper and not really even heel-toe at all, its an advanced toe fired heel-up continuous double stroke. This stroke is actually hard to get good at and its full potential is nowhere near that of heel-toe proper, its very energy consuming and can't be sustained at length like heel-toe proper.

Once you get this stroke started, it basically is the heel-toe motion, but starting and stopping are its shortcoming's/faults. The start is hampered by having to stop the forward motion of the first stroke and drop the heel. With HT proper, its all one fluid rocking motion: downward-forward just like you're walking. Jojo's is like your walking, only landing on the ball of your foot first, then coming down with your heel... not fluid.

+'s? He does it in shoes, although he's working his ass off to make it happen smoothly and its never 'ace' fluid most of the time.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Jojo starts his stroke with the ball of his foot, then drops his leg. This is not as efficient as heel-toe proper and not really even heel-toe at all, its an advanced toe fired heel-up continuous double stroke. This stroke is actually hard to get good at and its full potential is nowhere near that of heel-toe proper, its very energy consuming and can't be sustained at length like heel-toe proper.

Once you get this stroke started, it basically is the heel-toe motion, but starting and stopping are its shortcoming's/faults. The start is hampered by having to stop the forward motion of the first stroke and drop the heel. With HT proper, its all one fluid rocking motion: downward-forward just like you're walking. Jojo's is like your walking, only landing on the ball of your foot first, then coming down with your heel... not fluid.

+'s? He does it in shoes, although he's working his ass off to make it happen smoothly and its never 'ace' fluid most of the time.
Jojo doesn't work his ass off to do anything. His whole approach to technique is around physics, and relaxing. He does everything the simplest way he knows.

I'd like to see a video of you playing. I mean you just tore one of the living encyclopedias of technique apart.

sounds to me like you haven't put much practice into the technique. It's actually much easier and a lot more relaxing than heel toe. I Know I have a heel toe video up on the technique section somewhere, but, i really sort of discourage a lot of players from using it because it becomes a crutch, and picking up other techniques can be hard. I know from doing heel toe for 5 years then spending that last few month learning other techniques for other muscle groups.

I think you should try again...
Old 12-26-2007, 03:17 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

Jojo starts his stroke with the ball of his foot, then drops his leg. This is not as efficient as heel-toe proper and not really even heel-toe at all,

This stroke is actually hard to get good at and its full potential is nowhere near that of heel-toe proper, its very energy consuming and can't be sustained at length like heel-toe proper.

starting and stopping are its shortcoming's/faults. The start is hampered by having to stop the forward motion of the first stroke and drop the heel. With HT proper, its all one fluid rocking motion: downward-forward just like you're walking. Jojo's is like your walking, only landing on the ball of your foot first, then coming down with your heel... not fluid.+'s?

He does it in shoes, although he's working his ass off to make it happen smoothly and its never 'ace' fluid most of the time.
This thread is about Heel-Toe – YES, but Irregardless of what Technique a Drummer choose to use (including Jojo here) – as long as he can expedite it well & very efficiently – It’s effective for him….doesn’t really need to be HeEl-Toe. And how do you define, if Jojo’s Techniques IS ? Fluid or not fluid?, proper or not proper heel-toe techniques?

Nothing wrong with doing it in Shoes neither, Jojo as in all Professional Drummers will try to do it using shoes it's only right (and we should all learn to expedite whatever foot patterns/techniques using shoes) - not without SHOES !…..I mean common how can we play bare-footed on a stage or in certain venue if given a gig – have a little class !

Like any Drummer here - Jojo is a Drummer in his own right and he is a great drummer - most of all - very very humble and nice as a person.

Last edited by RudimentalDrummer; 12-26-2007 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:23 PM

How would you use the heel toe method with the heel up method?> cause its quite a mission changing if you playing rock and just want to do a few quick doubles...
Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 AM

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be too assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."
-Bruce Lee
"Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it." - Bruce lee
:)
I don’t think it should be too much of a mission to switch between the two
same pedal, same leg, just practice slight movements to use heel toe

Try Starting out by holding the beater to head calf muscle tense toe down... then
the muscles on top of foot, the front of shin should strike first blood.
Try to find that sweet spot where the foot connects middle of foot on the footboard, all with SLIGHT forward movement of foot in initial stroke to make that first one loud clear and on purpose, the energy and momentum of your upper leg (by the torso down to the knee)

After you get the FIRST note, it should be relatively EASY to THEN use the TOP OF YOUR BIGGEST LEG MUSCLE, your lap, your thigh, your stepping up a set of stairs muscle, to power the toe-down secondary stroke, with equal volume and clarity.
Hope that helps
and
RudimentalDrummer I agree 100%!

Chip

Last edited by chipritter; 02-27-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

"to overuse one's technique especially in the heel-toe variety....one must remember to keep good taste and that when playing in a weekend covers band we must not over-use and play 3 and a half minutes of blazing heel toe 32 note note beats on songs such as "Take it Easy" by the Eagles...or even "Little Pink Houses" by John Cougar Melloncamp...to do so would poision the minds of the drinking patrons and possible cause disruption of the musical set....it simply....won't fit the song"

-druid
Old 03-01-2008, 09:00 PM

"we must not over-use and play 3 and a half minutes of blazing heel toe 32 note note beats on songs such as "Take it Easy" by the Eagles...or even "Little Pink Houses" by John Cougar Melloncamp..."

THAT"S funny! (raises hand) guilty as charged.

...but I could use it on 'life in the fast lane" -Eagles or "Walk This Way" - Aerosmtith
if my toe-down wasn't up to those yet!
:)))
Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 AM

i know this thread is old, but this is important. It doesn't matter how big your feet are. You can hang your heel off the back of the pedal right on the floor if you want and it will still work. Watch the Waterson video on heel toe method on youtube. Right at the end he backs his heel onto the butt plate. I've seen another video with a guy in cut off socks that puts his heel on the floor on youtube as well.

Here's the thing: It's really important to adjust your pedal correctly. Once again, a video on youtube shows how to adjust a tama iron cobra for heel toe method and you can do that to any good pedal. Also, for me it was initially important to mess with my seat height and distance from the pedal. With the right combo, my foot practically auto rebounds and it doesn't matter where the foot is placed. It feels very similar to what a good rudimental double feels like or, even better, it feels just like the heel toe method used for playing congas. You foot should feel like you foot floats above the pedal. There's a sweetspot that makes this easy, but it isn't necessarily easy to find.

Watch the Waterson video. The movement is heel to toe, but the strike flows better from the middle of the foot to toe. This is really noticeable at the end of the video. I got this in a couple hours of trying and my foot is too big to actually strike the plate with my heel directly.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 AM

Oly! How would you use the heel toe method with the heel up method?> cause its quite a mission changing if you playing rock and just want to do a few quick doubles...

I realized this as well. I dropped my foot a lot lower but still kept the heel off the pedal. Then I sort of half did the heel toe technique by whipping the heel part and not doing the toe part. It's hard to explain. I guess I have my foot in the ready position for heel toe, which means my heel is still off the pedal, and then i found a good way to get power from that position.

It's taking me a while to remember to play like this, but it feels like I'll fully break my old habit of a high heel in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 PM

hi whats the best double pedal for heel toe ??
Old 08-03-2008, 10:52 PM

i have a size 13 and i do it just fine

u just gotta practice, it wasn't easy at first, trust me
Old 09-16-2010, 02:41 AM

Chip,
Liked the Bruce Lee quotes! I guess his one inch punch was his Moeller technique!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:07 AM
Platinum Member

This thread is about Heel-Toe – YES, but Irregardless of what Technique a Drummer choose to use (including Jojo here) – as long as he can expedite it well & very efficiently – It’s effective for him….doesn’t really need to be HeEl-Toe. And how do you define, if Jojo’s Techniques IS ? Fluid or not fluid?, proper or not proper heel-toe techniques?

It is easy to get caught up in the confusion, but the 'Heel-Toe' technique is just as its spelled out. The heel-makes the first strike, not the toe. Its not called toe-heel.

Its not easy to get this technique b/c you're so used to making the first hit with the front of the foot. With heel-toe proper you lead with your heel, not your toe.

If you hang your feet off the back of the foot board, you're not doing heel-toe proper, you're dropping your heel to accentuate a second toe strike, a different stroke definition all together, don't know why one would call that heel-toe... but then I don't think anyone has these terms copyrighted.

How would you use the heel toe method with the heel up method?> cause its quite a mission changing if you playing rock and just want to do a few quick doubles...

Once you do get some proficiency its pretty easy actually, you just drop you heel on the board b/c with heel-toe proper, the first stroke (which is the heel) starts with the heel up/raised, toe planted.

... - most of all - very very humble and nice as a person.

Abe Lincoln said it best "People don't remember what you give them, they don't remember what you do for them, they remember how you make them feel."
Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 AM

I played shortboard pedals since I started. Up to about a year ago when I got the Pearl Demon Drive and converted it to longboard. I wear an 11.5 shoe so I know how difficult heal toe is. I don't do it - because I can't.

When I started double kick, I wasn't fluent with long bursts of double kick, so I devised a way to play short bursts. I was still pretty new to drumming and didn't know the heal toe technique existed. Instead, I used the ball of my foot and toes.

The easiest way to explain it is:
on the top of the pedal (closest to the chain or drivelink) push down with your toes. This will lift the rest of your foot off of the pedal. Immediately after slam the ball of your foot down on the pedal. with a little practice, you'll be playing rolls on a single pedal as fast as anyone on a double.

As with all techniques, you will develop your own style for this. I'm not sure if this will work for you but it's been working for me and a lot of great drummers, like Virgil Donati, Aaron Spears and Gerald Heyward, use this technique.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danarchy11 View Post

When I started double kick, I wasn't fluent with long bursts of double kick, so I devised a way to play short bursts. I was still pretty new to drumming and didn't know the heal toe technique existed. Instead, I used the ball of my foot and toes.

The easiest way to explain it is:
on the top of the pedal (closest to the chain or drivelink) push down with your toes. This will lift the rest of your foot off of the pedal. Immediately after slam the ball of your foot down on the pedal. with a little practice, you'll be playing rolls on a single pedal as fast as anyone on a double.

Some would call this 'Heel-toe' but its really toe-heel and---- if your toe stays planted affecting the second stroke its something entirely different- a heel accentuated double stroke, if you're even getting actual doubles.

Again heel-toe is the heel of the foot connecting with the pedal board with toes/ball of foot relaxed/released, then rocking from the planted heel to ball of foot strike, like a walking step.

Heel-toe is the heel (leading) making the first 'strike' and its never just a heel drop, its 'actual heel contact' on the pedal board.

Its a total alien stroke b/c your used to leading with the ball/front of your foot, it takes much practice to be comfortable with the heel striking first, there's NOTHING natural about it regarding how we approach the bass drum pedal, it messes with your head.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy1 View Post
I often wonder what John would do with a double...especially in "Good Times Bad Times".
He'd probably drink it... and then order another one.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:32 PM

I often have trouble when playing heel to toe. My footboard on my bass pedal isn't the best and my foot always ends up sliding up into the chain. A new pedal me thinks!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

Old 12-03-2010, 10:21 AM

I had the same issue as the originator of this thread.........size 12 (UK) and not very long foot-board.
I have Tama Iron Cobra, with the Cobra Coil and found an easy solution, well for me anyway.....took my shoes off and play in my socks.

Sorry if someone else has suggested this but the thread is a bit long now to trawl through it all!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:12 PM

Compare a 20$ single-pedal to a 200$ single-pedal.
What would the differences be? Do they go down easier or something?
I mean they're obviously gonna last you longer, but what are the differences in the feel of them?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:48 PM

Go to free drum lessons .com sign up for the secret lesson. Jared Falk shows how to do it in detail. I do not prefer that method. I practice the technique but I find playing heel up better for me. Especially Triplets.
Sparky

This link may got it ti?

- http://www.BassDrumSecrets.com/boot-...-technique.php
- http://www.BassDrumSecrets.com/boot-...-technique.php
Old 05-13-2011, 04:09 AM

I think I have a mental block or something of that sort, because I can not make the heel toe technique work. I've watched several videos, and I can make it work with one foot for a few good strokes, but it just gets sloppy and sounds awful. I actually have better luck with the slide technique. I was able to get the basics down in about an hour of work, and now I use it almost subconciously.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 PM

Quick question here for the experienced players re heel toe technique.
I watched quite a few videos of players explain the technique on youtube and i get the deal.
My next question relates to using the heel toe technique with two kick pedals. I need to know the order in which to do the 16th notes.
Do I do heel toe on the right foot first and then repeat the same pattern on the left foot OR do i heel on the right then heel on the left and then toe on right and then toe on left?
Thanks for your assistance.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:16 AM

I would definitely think heel toe heel toe between left and right, just because it seems like it would lose it's fluidity the other way. That said, my left foot ain't even close... YET!!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:40 PM

Hi guys, quick update from myself.
I'm actually a guitar player that wanted to learn the drums (mainly as I wanted to get better timing for my guitar playing and to learn a new instrument).
I am coming at this as a brand new drummer without any technique that has been developed over many years of practice.
One of the first things i did before getting my kit was to do a lot of research on the net about drumming techniques (i don't have a teacher so didn't want to develop bad habits)
After using Youtube (great resource) I decided that heel toe would be a great foot technique to start with.
Ok, i've had my kit nearly three weeks now and thanks to watching the Jared Falk bass lessons it has really cleared up what I was initially doing wrong with heel toe. Firstly my toes were right up at the chain and I was bringing my entire foot off the board each time I tried to do a stroke.
Now I have my foot no more than half way up the board (my heel touches the floor) and my foot is always in contact with the footboard. My leg and ankle muscles are relaxed and after a lot of practice im finally getting a consistent stream of 16th notes (when i first started i would hear an audible pause between feet), the volume is getting even now too.
I know that a few months down the line i'll have developed my muscles more and will have better control over this technique. I have size 11 feet and its not a problem, I just make sure my feet aren't at an angle and that they are only half way up the board and that I make very efficient movement
Old 09-17-2011, 03:12 PM

Shouldn't this technique be called toe heel?

Check out this Pete Riley video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB4U2aajsvI

That's basically how i've been doing it and it seems way more natural to start with the toe for me
Old 09-17-2011, 09:25 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn-4 View Post
Shouldn't this technique be called toe heel?

Check out this Pete Riley video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB4U2aajsvI

That's basically how i've been doing it and it seems way more natural to start with the toe for me
This is SLIDE like most drummers we exagurate the movement to demo.
but when Pete plays he is definately sliding his foot
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/
Old 09-17-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Waterson View Post
This is SLIDE like most drummers we exagurate the movement to demo.
but when Pete plays he is definately sliding his foot
Tim
Cool
Guess i'm more of a slider than a heel toer then :)
Old 09-21-2011, 11:53 PM

Pearl Demon Drive Setup Tutorial just in....

Everything from out of the box to final configuration and exercises.

http://youtu.be/ypJnKoBtNcc

Good Luck
Old 03-21-2012, 03:54 PM

Guys / gals,

which is the preferred / correct technique.. H(R)H(L)T(R)T(L) or H(R)T(R)H(L)T(L). I seem to be more comfy doing H(R)H(L)T(R)T(L).

Cheers

(R) = Right
(L) = Left
Old 06-13-2012, 11:51 PM

Heel-Toe for people with great big feet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xbvtI_Xyr8
Old 06-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwish_sg View Post
Guys / gals,

which is the preferred / correct technique.. H(R)H(L)T(R)T(L) or H(R)T(R)H(L)T(L). I seem to be more comfy doing H(R)H(L)T(R)T(L).

Cheers

(R) = Right
(L) = Left
The first way is what I call "straight doubles". The 2nd variation is called "interlaced" it seems. Do whatever works better for you, or best - learn them all! There's the left foot lead version of both ways, too, that'll make 4 ways to practice.

I can do them all and I'm comfortable with all 4 ways. But the "straight" version is better (for me) for the highest speed range. "Interlaced" works great from moderately slow on but from around 220 on I feel it's hard to keep up the sync so I'd switch to the "straight" version.

The "interlaced" version is great to have one foot going (8th notes), then bringing the other foot in (playing the missing 8th notes so both feet would play 16th notes), then eliminating one foot again.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:47 AM

I'v size 11 shoes, and I use the heel toe method literaly all the time.
I own a mapex pedal that came stock with the kit, I'm looking into buying a better pedal, but still, I think I pretty much master the heel toe method, I just tend to push my feet waay up almost into the chain.
So, it can be done with relatively big feet!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeClimbingFeet View Post
Heel-Toe for people with great big feet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xbvtI_Xyr8
Video Helped so much, thanks for the link.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 PM

I've been having a hell of a time finding the right pedal for me and ended up cutting my brand new Mapex Raptor in half and stretching the foot board some 80mm, I've made it so it's adjustable and sure enuff it worked better than my Demon Eliminator and a host of other pedals I've tried out including an Axis (which wasn't mine). Even the Axis I find that placing my heel far enough up the board to get a good feeling down stroke puts my toes too close to the cam and beater shaft and it interferes with my technique as I can't help but keep bumping my toes. I see this topic covered time and time again in so many forums and articles I can't understand why on earth a manufacturer doesn't design an inifinitely adjustable footboard, it would be soooooooo easy, mine is rough looking but it proved to me the concept works in getting a true heel toe motion going with room for your toes. Why are the manufacturers stubbornly blind to this? Beats me?? pardon the pun!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:07 PM

I feel like heel toe should have a different name. When I first learned it, I literally tried playing with the back of my heel to the tips of my toes, and footboards generally aren't long enough for this. Once I figured it out, it's absolutely nothing like its name. It's more like the second half of your foot to the first half. For me, most of the heel stroke comes from the lower mid part. Plus with super long footboards there is generally a lot of bulk, but the Tama Speed Cobra looks pretty light and fast.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:43 PM

This thread has some funny stuff IMO.

Barefoot/shoes/socks/boots/longboard/shortboard/directdrive/strapdrive/chaindrive shouldn't matter in whatever way you make the noise.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:36 AM

Heel/Toe means which part of your foot is providing the impetus to drive the pedal. It works much the same motion as 'gravity blasts' or 'one-handed rolls' except it's using your foot. Replace the stick hitting the rim from the gravity blast with your heel hitting the floor/heelplate and it's pretty much the same.

Hope that makes sense.