DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 03-08-2014, 08:44 PM

Default Pearl H2000 Eliminator Hi Hat Stand vs. DW or Tama

So I'm in the market for a high-end hi hat stand, and I was thinking of going with either the DW 9000 series or a Tama Iron Cobra lever glide, I've heard great things about both. However, there's a Pearl Eliminator hi hat stand on my local Craigslist for cheap that's pretty tantalizing, seeing how the DW and Tama stands are expensive. Anybody play with the Pearl stand? How does it stack up against the other high-enders?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pearl H2000 Eliminator Hi Hat Stand vs. DW or Tama

Yeah, I've got one. It pretty much lies dormant, gathering dust under the stairs. Simply because it doesn't do anything my lighter and less fancy Pearl 900 hat stand can't cope with.

As to how it stack up against the others. It is as heavy and as over engineered as the best of them. They will all raise or lower the top cymbal a whole couple of inches til it meets the bottom one. They all employ some sort of fancy (and realistically, unnecessary) mechanism like "cams" or "glides" in order to do this. They all charge top dollar for the privilege of using said mechanisms . And they all do a job that a lighter, less expensive stand can do in the first place. :-)

But at the end of the day, yes, it stacks up and gets the job done mate.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

I've played the H2000... but only on an electric kit with terrible cymbal triggers. It seems pretty solid, though. I own the 9000 and wouldn't trade it for anything- sure, you can call it over-engineered, but the feel is nothing like the average hi-hat stand i've tried. It brings me physical joy to use.

I'd probably try out the Pearl first (if you can), and if you like the feel better than your current one, go for it. You might not think it's worth it, and if so, that's fine! Most stands do do a good job on an objective basis, but the smoothness of the 9000 makes me feel better while playing (and I do think it offers more accurate feel).
Old 03-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshorter View Post
So I'm in the market for a high-end hi hat stand, and I was thinking of going with either the DW 9000 series or a Tama Iron Cobra lever glide, I've heard great things about both. However, there's a Pearl Eliminator hi hat stand on my local Craigslist for cheap that's pretty tantalizing, seeing how the DW and Tama stands are expensive. Anybody play with the Pearl stand? How does it stack up against the other high-enders?
I have a couple of the H2000s that I've been using for a few years. The quality is great but like a lot off 2 leg stands, stability becomes an issue when playing faster patterns with your foot. I've been bracing mine to a cymbal stand to remedy this but I'm actually on the lookout out for a more stable 2 legger, if such a thing exists. Sorry, haven't played the Tama or DW so I can't make a comparison.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
I've played the H2000... but only on an electric kit with terrible cymbal triggers. It seems pretty solid, though. I own the 9000 and wouldn't trade it for anything- sure, you can call it over-engineered, but the feel is nothing like the average hi-hat stand i've tried. It brings me physical joy to use.

I'd probably try out the Pearl first (if you can), and if you like the feel better than your current one, go for it. You might not think it's worth it, and if so, that's fine! Most stands do do a good job on an objective basis, but the smoothness of the 9000 makes me feel better while playing (and I do think it offers more accurate feel).
thanks for the feedback! I also realize that all hi hat stands do essentially the same thing, I just think my mentality with gear in general is shifting from getting the cheapest thing to saving money, being patient, and going with the gear that will not only get the job done but last a long time....quality over instant gratification, I guess.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

My DW (2-leg) has no problems with excessive movement if the legs are set correctly.