DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-17-2010, 07:59 AM

Default Dead Sounding Toms

So here's my dilemma. I use G2 coated over G1 clear on my Pearl Forums and I can't get a good tone. If I tune low it sounds like cardboard and if I tune higher it sounds like congas. The sizes are 10x7, 12x10 and 14x14 (I'm trying to get a rock sound out of fusioN, I know)

All I get is a thud with no resonance or tone. I've learned to deal with resonance (reading on the site) and because I practice by myself it sounds bad but in a band setting that's what cuts through (I do have a band haha)

So any tips at all would be great
Vic Firth Steve Jordan Signature Sticks
Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dead Sounding Toms

There's no reason why G2 over G1 shouldn't give you a great sound. That's what I use, and have no issues getting a great rock sound out of "fusion" sizes. Ok, you've gone for coated batter heads but that should give you a little extra warmth & slightly less attack definition. It's almost certainly a tuning issue you have. Ideally, after ensuring that each head is correctly seated (use the crinkle method or drum dial) you should be tuning both the batter and reso to the same pitch. This will give you optimum resonance. Try a tuning in between the low dead sound and the bongo sound you describe. Remember, only a very small turn of each tension screw equates to a big difference in head pitch. If you end up with too much sustain, don't worry about it. That will get soaked up in the band sound. I've just recorded my kit with a little Zoom Q3. Same heads & sizes as yours. Have a listen & tell me if you think my sound is about what you're looking for. Remember, a little recorder won't pick up the depth you can hear in the room, but it'll give you some idea of the overall sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDatzlux9lk
Old 04-17-2010, 11:42 AM

hi there, i usually find with coated heads, if you stretch them out before tuning too much, theyre easier to wreck than clear ones, so i was always taught to just tune them high then loosen then right back down again before tuning.

Also i never seem to get instant great tone with coated heads, I guess the more you play them the looser the head should become giving you a better tone at the same pitch, also totally agree, the closer pitch you have the two heads together the better and not to worry about too much sustain!

good luck
Old 04-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Gold Member

1. Don't "seat" them, it's not necessary.
2. Run each tom up through its range very gradually, keeping both heads at the same pitch. There'll be a spot where each drum opens up--sounds louder and punchier and sustains the most. Put each drum in its sweet spot.
3. Match the pitch between batter and reso as best you can. Sustain is what gets you heard when you're unmiked.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the info. Keep it simple, I'm actually on my cell phone and can't watch videos lol and where I live there's no internet (I'm really in the sticks)
Vic Firth Steve Jordan Signature Sticks
Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 AM

Hey guys i have a question and i was wondering if anyone could help me out? I have rack mounted toms and i have a hard time keeping them in tune. Ya know i tune them before i put them on and then ill try to do it after i put em on but then it just sounds dead. any suggestions??????
Old 04-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzydrummer View Post
Hey guys i have a question and i was wondering if anyone could help me out? I have rack mounted toms and i have a hard time keeping them in tune. Ya know i tune them before i put them on and then ill try to do it after i put em on but then it just sounds dead. any suggestions??????
Sometimes where on the mount you put the drums. If you hit the right spot nodes will cancel and you have a dead sounding drum.

On my mapex kit I had this issue with my 10/12 toms. I knew it was not a drum problem as they sustained for days when I held them by the rim so the answer had to be somewhere else. I experimented a bit and found that lowering them to the bottom of the mounting post solved the issue. Other things to check include anything loose or vibrating. That will absorb energy from a sustaining drum