DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Default What are the most sensitive snare wires?

I have a 14" x 5.5" Tama phosphor bronze snare and a 14" x 5.5" Mapex Black Panther hammered brass snare. I like my drums to have the most snare sensitivity possible to pick up ghost notes, one handed rolls, and subtle play. Any suggestions on which snare wires might be best? Any suggestions you have on heads that might help to achieve this would be nice too, but I'm mostly concerned w/ the wires.

Thanks,
-Ryan

Last edited by PAWNJOB; 04-11-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 04-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What are the most sensitive snare wires?

The tuning relationship between batter and snare side head is probably the greatest factor. After that would be how tightly the snares are tensioned.

With that said; I personally like (for strictly sensitivity), the Puresound Concert Series snares. My next choice is the Noble &Cooley cam action snares.
The puresound custom series are great also.

You also may want to try a coated Ambassador batter and hazy Diplomat snare head combo.

What style of music are you playing?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:31 PM

Hey, Thanks for the reply Jeremy. I play rock, Latin, reggae, jazz, pop, and hip-hop. I'm not a master of these by any means but I like to play a wide variety. I'm currently using an Evans G1 coated batter w/ Evans hazy 300 reso on my Tama, and a coated Ambassador batter w/ Ambassador reso on my Mapex. I have an Evans Hazy 200 on the way which I believe should be the equivalent to the diplomat reso (2mil). I've heard it's good for accentuated snare response which is right in line w/ what you're suggesting. I tighten my snares just beyond the point of loose and buzzy, just enough tension to get a somewhat "tight" sound without choking the reso. I'm starting to get a pretty good handle on tuning, but please, what would you suggest for the tuning?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

A common mistake that is made is to tighten the snare side incredibly tight. Some folks believe that it will make the snares resonate more sensitively (crispy). Actually it has an opposit affect, the snare head-if too tight, will not vibrate enough to allow the wires to resonate.

There's lots of methods. Here's mine: I first start with the drum shell only (no heads or snares). I tune up the snare side first getting it even at all the lugs and a medium tight tension. I then add the snare themselves and tension them to where thay are crispy when the bottom head is tapped lightly. You can hum various pitches into the shell to hear when the snares 'come to life'. They will buzz like mad!

I then add the batter head and tension it to get a good medium tension sound and feel off of the head. A head that I can rebound the stick for a double roll.

The next step after letting the heads get seated for awhile, is to even out the tension at each lug to get a nice clean sound without too many wierd harmonics.

I don't have any pitches that I actually use for tuning. It's just a matter of the correct range that this particular drum favors.

Drum tuning has to be practiced just like so many other learned skills. Best of luck, those sound like fine drums you own.

PS do a search for Bob Gatzen online videos for snare drum tuning. He's quite knowledgable.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:35 PM

Will do. Thanks again Bender.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:48 AM
Pioneer Member

Another misconception is that the more snare wires the better the sensitivity, actually it's the opposite. So a lower strand count might help you achieve what you are looking for.

Here's the video Jeremy was talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs
Old 04-12-2010, 06:21 AM

Yep, learned that the hard way w/ a Tama 42 strand, Eughhh! I have a puresound custom 20 strand on the way, would you suggest even less strands for the drums I'm using?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWNJOB View Post
Yep, learned that the hard way w/ a Tama 42 strand, Eughhh! I have a puresound custom 20 strand on the way, would you suggest even less strands for the drums I'm using?
Might not hurt, again in this case less is more.