DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-09-2010, 02:02 PM

Default Freefloating drums - what heads do you use?

I have a Sleishman drum kit, where every drum (including toms and bass drum) is free floating. It's an amazingly resonant and tonally rich kit. I've worked out my preferred snare head combination (Evans G1/Hazy 300), but it's time to replace the tom and bass drum heads that came with the kit (Remo UT). I would like to hear from any drummers who've played free floating drums about the batter/reso head combinations you liked, and what it was about the sound you liked.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Freefloating drums - what heads do you use?

I would love to have free-floating drums. What a great idea. I have the next best thing: single-point tube lugs.

I would recommend a thicker batter head. I have Fiberskyns on top and coated Ambassadors on bottom. I would think the improved resonance of free-floaters would mean you need to control tone more.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:31 PM

If you like resonance and G1s, get coated G1s.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

It all comes down to intervals with free floaters. Do you want to tune the Simon Phillips way and have the top and bottom heads the same pitch? Use the same head, probably a single ply clear or coated. Do you think Gatzen and Ochltree are on to something? Use a double ply on top and a single on the bottom to get the bottom head higher.

Consistancy of heads and seating matter a great deal with free floating drums.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:03 AM

The standard UT heads my kit came with are two ply batters and single ply resos. I am therefore thinking I might keep this approach. At the moment I am thinking I might try the Evans EC2 SST batters with G1 clear resos. From what I've read, the SSTs should help with controlling the tone while still allowing the toms to sing.

I have no real brand preference so would like to hear from anyone who has found a particular batter-reso head combination particularly good for free floating drums. I prefer an open sound, so am not a fan of hydraulic heads or other heads that create an overly focused sound.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:25 AM

EC2 =/= Open sound
The rings give the heads a deader sound. What kind of music do you play?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:15 PM

Houston94, we play a bit of a mix: from very mellow bluesy songs, traditional jazz numbers and some light rock. We play wineries and similar venues where we need to keep people entertained without overpowering the venues with a wall of sound. I really like resonant, open toms, and mostly use brushes and hot rods. PerhapsI should be thinking about a coated batter head instead.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Yeah man, I would say go with Coated G1s or Ambassadors. A lot of jazz and blues drummers use single plied heads and the white coating gives them more warmth. Clear heads will have more of a plasticky attack that better suits louder rock music. Though, it's really personal preference to whether you think the single or double plies (coated or non-coated as well) fit your music.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madidus View Post
I have a Sleishman drum kit, where every drum (including toms and bass drum) is free floating. It's an amazingly resonant and tonally rich kit. I've worked out my preferred snare head combination (Evans G1/Hazy 300), but it's time to replace the tom and bass drum heads that came with the kit (Remo UT). I would like to hear from any drummers who've played free floating drums about the batter/reso head combinations you liked, and what it was about the sound you liked.
Gday Madidus.

Im bigman. I'm currently doing getting some training at sleishman drums under Louis (Who probably either made, or worked on your drum kit).

Thats a great head combo for your snare man, Hazy's get one hell of a snare response and i use a G1 on one of my own snares (a Amtrax 14"x6.5").

For the rest of your kit, it greatly depends on what sort of sound you want. Another thing you mightn't considered, is that arrangement of the heads.

Due to the free-floating nature of Sleishman Drums, you can actually do some funky things. For example, with a heavy head on top and a light head on the bottom, you get your typical sleishman sound with great resonance and tone. But if you flip it (Light on top and Heavy on bottom) you get that pitch bend sound you normally get when you tune your bottom head lower than your top head.

A great combo for the toms i've found is coated emperor on top and coated ambassador on bottom, this gives you a really nice warm tone to your drums. Actually, its exactly what Steve Prestwich had on his drums.

Another is something like an ambassador X on top and a Hazy on the bottom. This will give you one hell of a resonant drum and can punch through most forms of music. Also great for jazz if you tighten it up.

For your kick, I'd go for a head with a bit of muffling. Sleishman kicks can really easily get away from you, so keeping them under control with a nice fat tone is a good idea. Same with the reso side.

Apart from that, I greatly recommend you get a collection of drum heads ready to use. At the work shop, we still have the original prototype that Don made. The heads havent been changed, but it still sounds amazing. Head last at least 200% longer with Sleishman drums as opposed to lugged drums. So having a collection of head with different properties will ensure you will always have that sound you want.

Also, consider buying some shell packs. You might find the choices available with different heads and shells very versatile.

Cheers.

Bigman.