Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 PM
HOUSTON 94's Avatar
HOUSTON 94 HOUSTON 94 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 185
Default Simple Recording Question (I think)

I'm looking for something that can record my PA directly. I would imagine that it has a USB on one end that plugs into a computer and then a instrument cable input/output on the other.
Does this device exist and does plug directly into a PA mixer or does an instrument cable go from the PA into this mysterious device. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 AM
bamdrummer's Avatar
bamdrummer bamdrummer is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 247
Default Re: Simple Recording Question (I think)

Heres what I'd recommend as a relatively cheap option. Im assuming your PA outputs through 1/4" jacks or XLR. Either way, you can go to radioshack or a number of other stores and get a cable where one end plugs into your PA's output and the other end is a 3.5mm jack(ipod headphone size). Plug the XLR and/or 1/4" jack into your Output and plug the other end into a lovely device called an imic. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic
From there just figure out how to use that as your sound input on your computer and your home free. hope this helps :)
RLRRLRR LRLLRLL-behold, the paradiddle-a-diddle!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 AM
azrae1l's Avatar
azrae1l azrae1l is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: denver, colorado, usa
Posts: 664
Default Re: Simple Recording Question (I think)

for reasonably cheap you can find a mixer with a usb output. i got this cheap little 4 input mixer off ebay used for 50$ that serves as a cross over from the 4 main outs on our 32 channel studio mixer. also nice that you can adjust each main seperately then straight to the computer via usb.

before that we used a 1/4" trs to 1/8" trs and plugged it into the mic input on the computer, worked but the sound quality wasn't that good. also you can by a ccrossover like the mbox to do basically the same thing but at a much higher price.

the real trick here is finding middle ground between something cost effective but yet doesn't sacrifice sound quality too much that it makes it pointless to even do.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:16 AM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: Simple Recording Question (I think)

the device is called an interface. It typically has an A/D converter (analog to digital) that converts your signal into data. From there, it transmits it digtally via USB or firewire to your computer where SOFTWARE like Pro-tools, Logic, Cakewalk, Sonar, Garageband, Audacity, Acidpro, etc etc etc allows you to record and layer multiple tracks for playback, mixing and mastering. Use the search function here on DW to search for interface, the topic has been extensively covered.

here's your shopping list to choose from:
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:50 PM
yesdog's Avatar
yesdog yesdog is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: chicago suburbs
Posts: 787
Default Re: Simple Recording Question (I think)

Behringer makes a cheap interface. If your board has RCA inputs and out puts you can use this with any software or computer. Hook it up and use USB codec for your signal.
Here is a link. Its very cheap



Last edited by yesdog; 04-11-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: miss imformation
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com