DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-03-2010, 07:05 PM

Default Drum Bags being too big a problem?

I'm trying to buy drum bags for my Gretsch Renown Maple fusion sized set. The problem is that this set has sort of whacky measurements even for fusion sizes.

22X18 - bass drum
10X8 - mount tom
12X9 - mounted middle tom
14X14 - floor tom
5X14 - obviously snare

I really want to buy Wolfpak drum bags, or Beato Curdura drum bags but each have their own problems. The Beato Cordura will be about $60-70 more in the end and from what I hear a little lower quality, and the Wolfpak's sizes are a little off. They are:

22X18 (perfect)
10X12
12X14
14X16
6.5X14

Are those sizes way too off? Also, they said they had sizes that were closer, but the numbers were backwards, so would my drum not fit (eg. 9X10 instead of 10X9)? Is there some tried and true home remedy for drum bags that aren't quite the same size?

PS. The Beato's have sizes that are pretty much spot on.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Drum Bags being too big a problem?

Your sizes are diameter x depth. Theirs are listed depth x diameter. Reverse their numbers and you will see the real sizes.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Your sizes are diameter x depth. Theirs are listed depth x diameter. Reverse their numbers and you will see the real sizes.
Then why are the bass drum and snare drum put in correct syntax?

Edit: Just went back to the site and remembered that the tom's were on a different page/link than the snare and bass drum. For some odd reason the snare and bass pages had the sizes correctly written out, but the tom page had them backwards. Huh, go figure right?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:01 AM

Also look at Protection Racket bags. They have every size, are reasonably priced, well made. I just got a set for my new kit and I love them.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:53 AM

What's wrong with bags being too big?
Old 04-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

A saggy bag makes it difficult to stack, doesn't feel right when carrying it, and just plain looks bad when another player sees me with beautiful drums coming out of ill-fitting bags.

Some of the issues with bags is due to drum hardware changing over the decades, particularly on the kick, which today typically has beefier legs and tom mounts than a vintage drum from 35+ years ago. Rather than offer vintage and modern sizes, companies defer to the slightly larger size to accommodate all. Unfortunately, that means buying new bags for an old kit will probably result in floppy bags.

What really bugs me is that snug and floppy fits can be wildly inconsistent between rack tom, floor tom, and snare bags. I like Protection Racket bags, but some fit great, and some look like they're made for (at least) the next size up. I ordered a 12x15" bag, got one marked 12x15", but it was clearly made for a 16" drum, possibly 13 or 14" deep. Does one or two inches make such a big difference? Maybe not for a bass drum, but on a smaller drum, it's really obvious. I spoke to the U.S. distributor, and they said that Protection Racket doesn't actually make a 15" bag, despite it being listed on their web site, dealer catalogs, and the bag itself!! We compromised with a 12x14-R bag, made for RIMS type mounts, and the same problem.

I've had very good consistency with Impact bags, certainly better than Protection Racket, but there are still a few loose fits there as well.

Bermuda
Old 04-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

i have some protection racket cases, but i think i want to get some hardcases instead. i just need to find some that are hard on the outside but padded on the inside. i'm sure they exist, i just haven't googled yet.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
A saggy bag makes it difficult to stack, doesn't feel right when carrying it, and just plain looks bad when another player sees me with beautiful drums coming out of ill-fitting bags.

Some of the issues with bags is due to drum hardware changing over the decades, particularly on the kick, which today typically has beefier legs and tom mounts than a vintage drum from 35+ years ago. Rather than offer vintage and modern sizes, companies defer to the slightly larger size to accommodate all. Unfortunately, that means buying new bags for an old kit will probably result in floppy bags.
Bermuda
True indeed! I put my 8 x12 tom into my 8 x10 bag with no problem before I realized what I had done. I don't have rim mounts. I have Humes and Berg Galaxy series bags.
I have a 2 inch riser for my bass pedal on my 14 x18 bass drum and it fits into the bag with the riser installed.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:25 AM

I have the Wolfpaks and they are light years better than soft sided nylon bags. I noticed that there is an extra inch or two of clearance built into the lids so if your drums are slightly deeper than the listed bag dimensions, you'll be OK.
Attached Images