DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Default Question regarding the ICON DR503C rack

Hello~

I am considering purchasing a drum rack for my kit. At first I wanted a Yamaha Hexrack but the four sided one is not only very expensive (750€) but the Hexrack system is being discontinued by Yamaha as of now. My second choice is the Pearl ICON curved rack.

This is very subjective, but the reason I always go with Yamaha is the quality of the build. Not just the hardware in itself but especially the quality of the metals (sorry I really am OCD on this kind of stuff...) I've had many different brands and the chrome will eventually bump, rust and whatnot. I got nearly 10 year old Yamaha gear hanging around in my basement and I haven't seen anything bothering yet, at the worst it just wipes off easily with some cleaner. I have had Pearl cymbal stands and Eliminator pedals and my experience in that regard has not been very good at all... I'm not here to diss on other brands - what ever works for anyone is cool - I am not a Yamaha fanboy, this is only my experience and it's just a brand I'm happy with.

Since the Hexrack is not a possible solution at this point, I think I will go for the ICON and use Yamaha hardware on it BUT I would like to ask those who have Pearl racks: how does the metal withstand atmospheric conditions in the long run? Like the vertical chromed bars for instance, or maybe the clamps?

Thank you for your help and sorry if I come off as a weirdo lol

Regards,
Christopher.

Last edited by Drum-Head; 03-27-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Question regarding the ICON DR503C rack

Not weird at all DH. I'm on my pc for 1 minute so no time to reply now. I'll get back to you tomorrow. I have a curved icon rack but fitted with Yamaha hardware. I know exactly where you're coming from. TTFN, KIS.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

I've had the curved rack since november now, so I can't say how it holds up in the long run. It feels indestructible though. Not an answer to your question, but whatever :)
Old 03-28-2010, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
how does the metal withstand atmospheric conditions in the long run?
I had a DR-100 for 15 years. Built strong enough to support my lead singer sitting on it (during those guitar solo moments, when he wasn't being a frontman). Knowing cats who have owned the Icon, they're built just as tough, with a little more versatility (adjustable height, with the horizontal bars).
The clamps are as robust as anything you could ask for. PC-10 and PC-50 were the clamps I used. For the most flexibility, the PCX-200 is the one.
Yeah, shame about the Yamaha Hex Rack. I just bought one of those, 2 weeks ago, when they were on sale. Yamaha says they're working on an "alternative" that will work "in harmony" with the Hex Rack.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Silver Member

Thank you for taking time to reply guys.

I'm aware that the ICON racks are very solid in terms of strength (I remember that pic of Mike Luce from Drowning Pool hanging on his like a monkey lol). I am more concerned about oxidation, chrome peeling and spiking/bumping etc. on the parts I referred to above.

And yes it is a shame Harry about the Hexrack. It would be nice the new one they are working on will be more accessible (price)...
Old 03-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Ok, back on now DH. I too have only had my rack for a few months so It's difficult to give you a long term view. That said, I'm an engineer by trade so I'm pretty good at spotting poor electro plating and construction. The only decorative chrome finish is to the upright legs. These seem to be well finished with a plating depth of about 40-50 micron. The cross bars are matt brushed aluminium and the clamps are bright polished aluminium so I wouldn't expect too many corrosion issues unless they're stored in constantly damp or salty conditions. I customized my rack by cutting back the cross bars & re-fitting the end leg clamps so I have a good idea of the standard of construction. All the materials are of more than sufficient wall thickness and the cross bar end fittings are an excellent interference fit, further secured with countersunk hex screw to prevent drift through vibration. The end fittings are capable of holding in place without securing with the retaining screw, the fit is that good. I had one hell of a job separating them to perform my modifications.

Now the Yamaha interface bit. I use all Yamaha cymbal arms on the Pearl clamps. I use PCL100'S on the leg tops and a combination of PCX100 & PCX200's on the curved cross bars. I'd go for the more compact PCX100 unless you need to tilt your tom / cymbal arms. If you need to tilt your arms, go for the PCX200. Yamaha cymbal & tom arms will match the diameter of the Pearl clamps but the memory locks aren't interchangeable. If you plan on removing your tom / cymbal arms regularly, you'll need to fit Pearl memory locks. I prefer Yamaha cymbal arms to all other makes, even Sonor, so I understand where you're coming from on this. A few pictures below so you can see what I've done. Hope this helps a bit, KIS.

P.S. As you can see, my side bar is curved too. I didn't need the three sides offered by the DR503C so I bought the pieces separately and customized accordingly to give me the smallest possible stage footprint. DR503C has straight side bars as standard.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

That is a very nice drum kit and thank you very much KIS for going into so much detail. I trust your word on the vertical bars and clamps. It's true it does get a bit humid in winter in my basement though... So I'm hesitating.

I am currently playing on the kit pictured below but I am need to make my mind up on a few things.

If I get the ICON rack, in any case I will go with the three sided one, but either I'll keep my kit as it is below and use just two sides (but I'll still have the option of leaving a kick out and setting up three sides if I start gigging again and have to play on a small stage) or I'll just ditch the second kick and set it up as a "normal" kit. Which leads to what follows.

The thing is, since my gear is a few years old, I'm thinking about upgrading all my hardware (snare stand, kick pedal, hat pedal, and boom arms) to the latest Yamaha have brought out, but for that I'll need to trade in all my actual hardware... And maybe the second kick and the 12" and 16" toms that are not figured so I can get a good deal on the lot.

If ever I trade in my second kick and go for the "normal" setup. I'll have to find detailed information about modding an ICON rack - I'd like to shorten the two side bars since I will not be needing that much length and it would have the advantage of taking up less space. But I really need to think this through. My kit is not made any more by Yamaha and if I say bye bye to those shells there will be no seeing them again, ever. Argh... I need to think lol (yes I always have trouble making my mind up)! If only things were simpler and money came easier I'd just go for one of the remaining available Hexracks *sigh*

Anyways, I hope my gibberish makes at least some sense...

Last edited by Drum-Head; 03-28-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

What a stunning Yamaha kit! Although I like my rack, if I had your set up and wanted flexibility, I'd be tempted to leave it as it is. My setup never changes and is quite complicated to arrange on individual stands. Your setup is clean & crisp, plus you want the option to change layout. If it were me, I'd put my money into upgrading pedal, snare stand, or whatever you think needs changing, & forget the rack. Just my opinion. Really love your kit. Very similar to one I had many years ago. I'd love to have your kit as an alternative setup to mine. Wouldn't choice be wonderful if we had endless room & money!
Old 04-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the help KIS, I really appreciate it!

I will have to change my setup anyway because a pop artist has contacted me to play for her. When we will be ready to play live I won't be able to go out gigging with this kit lol! So I will be needing a rack to easily place the cymbals where I want them. The crash, china and ride are a bit of a pain to get them where I want with stands.

This is completely crazy since it's going to cost me an arm and a leg, but if a get a good enough price from my actual gear, I will go for a Yamaha Hexrack. I'm dying for one since we've been talking about racks. Yes I am a Yamaha freak... I admit it!