DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 AM
drummerBUMMER drummerBUMMER is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
Default Practice Sticks

i have a 2 and half month old pair of vic firth 5A s, i think my sweat has dampened the wood over time so it feels a little heavier than a brand new pair and of course less responsive which is why i like using these to practice with, but usually is it better to practice with new sticks?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2010, 04:55 AM
Center Tenors's Avatar
Center Tenors Center Tenors is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
Default Re: Practice Sticks

Actualy new or old, i practice with some 3S sticks they are marching snare sticks iit helps build chop muscles and play live with 2bs
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Nickropolis's Avatar
Nickropolis Nickropolis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 447
Default Re: Practice Sticks

I practice on the pad with Vater 3A Fatbacks, heavier as mentioned to build muscle. I'd say it's not much different with new or old sticks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 PM
rjvsmb's Avatar
rjvsmb rjvsmb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 309
Default Re: Practice Sticks

I sometimes practice with the VF Buddy Rich model. They're a little heavier then the 5Bs, but for me, they feel very balance and has good rebound.

I like using them for heavier rock.

-R
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 AM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,512
Default Re: Practice Sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerBUMMER View Post
i have a 2 and half month old pair of vic firth 5A s, i think my sweat has dampened the wood over time so it feels a little heavier than a brand new pair and of course less responsive which is why i like using these to practice with, but usually is it better to practice with new sticks?
Each pair of sticks is never going to be the same as the next. They can get it close with the computer weighing and all that, but it's always different.
It's not your sweat changing the sticks.

I've always thought it's best to practice with the sticks you are going to be playing with.
You could warm up with some larger or heavier sticks to warm up the fingers and wrist, but if you aren't going to be PLAYING with those sticks on a gig, what's the point of doing any real practice with them?

JMO
__________________
My band Artificial Agent here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116637
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-23-2010, 02:49 AM
HOUSTON 94's Avatar
HOUSTON 94 HOUSTON 94 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 185
Default Re: Practice Sticks

Its like a baseball player pitching or batting with a heavier ball or bat, respectively, to feel less resistance during the game. Its basically weightlifting for your wrists.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:33 AM
toddy's Avatar
toddy toddy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: isle of wight/london
Posts: 1,633
Default Re: Practice Sticks

i play with light sticks, i practice with light sticks.
__________________
::: if required i'll be on a different forum :::
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,539
Default Re: Practice Sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Each pair of sticks is never going to be the same as the next. They can get it close with the computer weighing and all that, but it's always different.
It's not your sweat changing the sticks.

I've always thought it's best to practice with the sticks you are going to be playing with.
You could warm up with some larger or heavier sticks to warm up the fingers and wrist, but if you aren't going to be PLAYING with those sticks on a gig, what's the point of doing any real practice with them?

JMO
Yep from batch to batch you will not find the same weight. Heck go to a store and pick up three different pair and all 3 will feel different. You aren't sweating enough for that stick to absorb any weight and in most cases there is a finish on the sticks to prevent that.
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,512
Default Re: Practice Sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSTON 94 View Post
Its like a baseball player pitching or batting with a heavier ball or bat, respectively, to feel less resistance during the game. Its basically weightlifting for your wrists.
Yes, good for warming up your wrists and fingers at a gig or before practicing, but using heavier sticks for a full "practice session" (or whatever you want to call it) isn't going to do someone any or much good (IMO).

If you practice a lot, & develop the muscle memory (and the feel) for one weight, and then switch to something else for "actual playing", it's going to throw things off.
You're reaction and the feel of things isn't going to be the same with lighter sticks, and you may end up playing harder, or gripping the stick harder and not realize it until you notice it and go "what's going on?"

It'd really only matter if you're doing a snare drum competition or something like that-- maybe I'm just being nit-picky haha

Use what you want, it just seems to make more sense practicing with a stick that works for your hand, and developing things with THAT stick, rather than switching around to me.
__________________
My band Artificial Agent here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116637
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com