DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 AM

Default Practice Sticks

i have a 2 and half month old pair of vic firth 5A s, i think my sweat has dampened the wood over time so it feels a little heavier than a brand new pair and of course less responsive which is why i like using these to practice with, but usually is it better to practice with new sticks?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Practice Sticks

Actualy new or old, i practice with some 3S sticks they are marching snare sticks iit helps build chop muscles and play live with 2bs
Old 03-22-2010, 02:18 PM

I practice on the pad with Vater 3A Fatbacks, heavier as mentioned to build muscle. I'd say it's not much different with new or old sticks.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 PM

I sometimes practice with the VF Buddy Rich model. They're a little heavier then the 5Bs, but for me, they feel very balance and has good rebound.

I like using them for heavier rock.

-R
Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerBUMMER View Post
i have a 2 and half month old pair of vic firth 5A s, i think my sweat has dampened the wood over time so it feels a little heavier than a brand new pair and of course less responsive which is why i like using these to practice with, but usually is it better to practice with new sticks?
Each pair of sticks is never going to be the same as the next. They can get it close with the computer weighing and all that, but it's always different.
It's not your sweat changing the sticks.

I've always thought it's best to practice with the sticks you are going to be playing with.
You could warm up with some larger or heavier sticks to warm up the fingers and wrist, but if you aren't going to be PLAYING with those sticks on a gig, what's the point of doing any real practice with them?

JMO
Old 03-23-2010, 02:49 AM

Its like a baseball player pitching or batting with a heavier ball or bat, respectively, to feel less resistance during the game. Its basically weightlifting for your wrists.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member

i play with light sticks, i practice with light sticks.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Each pair of sticks is never going to be the same as the next. They can get it close with the computer weighing and all that, but it's always different.
It's not your sweat changing the sticks.

I've always thought it's best to practice with the sticks you are going to be playing with.
You could warm up with some larger or heavier sticks to warm up the fingers and wrist, but if you aren't going to be PLAYING with those sticks on a gig, what's the point of doing any real practice with them?

JMO
Yep from batch to batch you will not find the same weight. Heck go to a store and pick up three different pair and all 3 will feel different. You aren't sweating enough for that stick to absorb any weight and in most cases there is a finish on the sticks to prevent that.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSTON 94 View Post
Its like a baseball player pitching or batting with a heavier ball or bat, respectively, to feel less resistance during the game. Its basically weightlifting for your wrists.
Yes, good for warming up your wrists and fingers at a gig or before practicing, but using heavier sticks for a full "practice session" (or whatever you want to call it) isn't going to do someone any or much good (IMO).

If you practice a lot, & develop the muscle memory (and the feel) for one weight, and then switch to something else for "actual playing", it's going to throw things off.
You're reaction and the feel of things isn't going to be the same with lighter sticks, and you may end up playing harder, or gripping the stick harder and not realize it until you notice it and go "what's going on?"

It'd really only matter if you're doing a snare drum competition or something like that-- maybe I'm just being nit-picky haha

Use what you want, it just seems to make more sense practicing with a stick that works for your hand, and developing things with THAT stick, rather than switching around to me.