DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-22-2010, 01:02 AM

Default Let's see your Cases

Hey, i dont know if there's already a thread about this, i did a search and i couldn't see anything/ Anyway, why do the drums and hardware get all the attention what about the things that actually get them to gigs without a scratch. They take all the dings and bangs from travel and we don't think twice, let's see your cases already :D
Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Let's see your Cases

mine are getting our logo put on them rt now. were are your pics? haha
Old 03-22-2010, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_wes View Post
Hey, i dont know if there's already a thread about this, i did a search and i couldn't see anything/ Anyway, why do the drums and hardware get all the attention what about the things that actually get them to gigs without a scratch. They take all the dings and bangs from travel and we don't think twice, let's see your cases already :D
Show me yours and I'll show you mine.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 AM

okay i guess so lmao
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Funny thing about cases... I noticed that most of the wear an tear to my drums comes from stacking them up in small spaces at the gigs we do. A typical show goes something like this:

I show up with my drums and set them up - usually in the middle of the floor - then stack them up somewhere off to the side of the stage, or in some cases, on the stage. There just isn't time or space between bands for putting everything together then.

This is where the most jostling, bumping, and banging happens, and where my drums pick up most of their scratches and dings.

So I gave up on drum cases!

I drive my drums from rehearsal space to venue myself and am pretty good at keeping them protected during transport (at this point, I'm mostly worried about the heads).

I still keep my cymbals in a hard case and roll my hardware around in case with wheels, but I'm too lazy for drum cases anymore. Maybe if they actually protected my drums when they most needed it...

Edit: I still use cases for my snares.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Administrator

I use to use these..............
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

These are the ones that I use. Watch the vid on the link site.
http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php...ducts_id=10466
Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Funny thing about cases... I noticed that most of the wear an tear to my drums comes from stacking them up in small spaces at the gigs we do. A typical show goes something like this:

I show up with my drums and set them up - usually in the middle of the floor - then stack them up somewhere off to the side of the stage, or in some cases, on the stage. There just isn't time or space between bands for putting everything together then.

This is where the most jostling, bumping, and banging happens, and where my drums pick up most of their scratches and dings.

So I gave up on drum cases!

I drive my drums from rehearsal space to venue myself and am pretty good at keeping them protected during transport (at this point, I'm mostly worried about the heads).

I still keep my cymbals in a hard case and roll my hardware around in case with wheels, but I'm too lazy for drum cases anymore. Maybe if they actually protected my drums when they most needed it...

Edit: I still use cases for my snares.
Yeah i can see where your coming from, fortunately my band only does gigs where we are the only band and we dont have to do any of that messing about between bands, but yeah i can see why that would be a pin in the ass
Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
These are the ones that I use. Watch the vid on the link site.
http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php...ducts_id=10466
Those look like pretty nice cases man
Old 03-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
They take all the dings and bangs from travel and we don't think twice,
A drummer I know says that if he were to use cases for his drums, he would be more careless with them, thinking that they're protected...??? So, he compromised and got soft cases. Weirdo...

I use SKB Roto-X cases to transport my drums, and they are in pretty much the same shape that I got them in. I'm even careful with not denting and dinging my cases.

I just tried to take some pictures of my cases really quick, but the room was too dark and my laptop doesn't have a strong enough flash (Photo Booth on a MacBook). Basically, picture four stacks (floor to ceiling) of various SKB, Humes + Berg, and XL hardcases, containing drum sets and various snares. Also, I have soft cases for my doumbeks, bongos, congas, cajon and djembe.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and 5 cymbal bags and 2 SKB cymbal cases, brimming and bursting at the seams with cymbals...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 03-22-2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
A drummer I know says that if he were to use cases for his drums, he would be more careless with them, thinking that they're protected...??? So, he compromised and got soft cases. Weirdo...

I use SKB Roto-X cases to transport my drums, and they are in pretty much the same shape that I got them in. I'm even careful with not denting and dinging my cases.

I just tried to take some pictures of my cases really quick, but the room was too dark and my laptop doesn't have a strong enough flash (Photo Booth on a MacBook). Basically, picture four stacks (floor to ceiling) of various SKB, Humes + Berg, and XL hardcases, containing drum sets and various snares. Also, I have soft cases for my doumbeks, bongos, congas, cajon and djembe.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and 5 cymbal bags and 2 SKB cymbal cases, brimming and bursting at the seams with cymbals...
I can see why someone would be a little more carless thinking there drums are protected but im the same as you i treat my cases as if they were my drums lol i hat scratching them
Old 03-22-2010, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Those look like pretty nice cases man
I've had no problems with the Galaxy's. The video is truthful. The price is good also.
I move my own drums to gigs and practices. If I had a crew I would use a better bag or a hard case.
The handles and the straps are strong and comfortable to hold. The zippers are also strong and they do not jam.
Im totally satisfied with the Humes and Berg Galaxy series.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:47 AM

i've also used this brand http://www.protectionracket.co.uk/ and they are fantastic
Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 AM
Administrator

I have Galaxy also for my four snares.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2010, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

Old 03-22-2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Damn thats an impressive setup lol
Old 03-22-2010, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Damn thats an impressive setup lol
Yeah. I weighed it all and it's around 700 pounds. Seriously.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah. I weighed it all and it's around 700 pounds. Seriously.
hey if it protects your investment then it's well worth it in my books
Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 AM

I use the gator bags as well. They work good and are silly cheap. I also have a kaces snare bag that is MUCH nicer. Plush on the inside and semi rigid. As the gators break, if they break I will replace with kaces singles. And a Kaces cymbal bag. I also made my own hardware socks to individually cover my stands before jamming them in the hardware bag. I like the way the soft bags sit in my truck. No sliding around and easy to carry.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I use to use these..............
While Heineken is a great beer on a hot day - of which there should be ample supply in Florida - I urge you to try out Grolsch. That's probably the finest beer from Holland... and it's brewed in "my" city.

To topic though... I have a hardcase hardcase for my Unix. Other than that I take some little dents in my kit for granted - I am not particularly rich (The unix was a graduation gift from my parents when I got my BSc degree) so I can't afford hardcases all around.

Edit: pictures

Last edited by Big_Philly; 03-22-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: pics added
Old 03-22-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
While Heineken is a great beer on a hot day - of which there should be ample supply in Florida - I urge you to try out Grolsch. That's probably the finest beer from Holland... and it's brewed in "my" city.
haha, I just wanted to say that :-)

I also don't have money for cases or bags, I normally use blankets.

Bram
Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Heineken or Grolsch...........if I only had a dollar for everytime I've deliberated that decision!!

Speaking of locally made, no pics but I use Ragone drum cases for my kit and hardware (made here in Melbourne). They were the bomb 18 years ago when I bought them, but there are far better products these days. RIMS mounts are a pain to get in and no wheels on the trap case don't make for an easy trip, but they do the job.
I also use SKB for my cymbals and two snares and another four snares are kept in Hardcase cases. Both SKB and Hardcase are classic examples of the "far better products" I was talking about!!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a Hardcase guy, too. They really are superb and worth the money.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

I decided on soft cases (Gator) because I'm only playing very small time local these days. No need to spend a bomb. Nothing could possibly happen, right?

So, just weeks after buying my new kit I'm carrying them down the stairs from my block of flats - just six steps. Well, old clumsy here decides to lose her balance and the kick drum falls and hits the brick fence. Now I have a mark on the side of my shiny new bass drum.

The irony is that I decided to do things more properly this time. It's a big step up from my "serious" gigging days - old blankets held in place with masking tape. I was a bit feral back then and didn't care, but I never marked my old kit as badly ... at least until I crashed the car on a wet night driving to a gig.

Maybe Caddy's friend is on to something? It's like not insuring your car; that sure makes you stay vigilant. Terrible risk management but I guess some people prefer to ride their luck - and their nerves.

DMC, even your cases look wonderful! Still, your lovely kit deserves to be protected.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:14 PM

The combo of Gator Cases and Protechtor Cases truly offer something for everyone. I use the Gator soft bags mostly but purchased a snare Protechtor case which has worked out great. Also have the Gator drum cart which is a great value. Will post pics later!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:15 PM

PS Just visited the Gator site and see they are running a contest to win a full set of cases. Might be a cheap way to get all gear protected!
http://www.gatorcases.com/News/Contest
Old 03-22-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:

To topic though... I have a hardcase hardcase for my Unix. Other than that I take some little dents in my kit for granted - I am not particularly rich (The unix was a graduation gift from my parents when I got my BSc degree) so I can't afford hardcases all around.

Edit: pictures

Solid Cases man, are they expensive?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Solid Cases man, are they expensive?
The 13" snare case (only case I own) was 75 euros shipped.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Hardcase rules. They cost as much as good quality soft cases. I can toss my drums around without fear. Unfortunately, they are not sold in the US anymore. The is an 18 bass drum case at a local music store for $55 but I don't need that. I got an 18 floor tom case and cut it down and modified it to carry my Hang drum, which is delicate and susceptible to being knocked out of tune.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I decided on soft cases (Gator) because I'm only playing very small time local these days. No need to spend a bomb. Nothing could possibly happen, right?

So, just weeks after buying my new kit I'm carrying them down the stairs from my block of flats - just six steps. Well, old clumsy here decides to lose her balance and the kick drum falls and hits the brick fence. Now I have a mark on the side of my shiny new bass drum.

The irony is that I decided to do things more properly this time. It's a big step up from my "serious" gigging days - old blankets held in place with masking tape. I was a bit feral back then and didn't care, but I never marked my old kit as badly ... at least until I crashed the car on a wet night driving to a gig.

Maybe Caddy's friend is on to something? It's like not insuring your car; that sure makes you stay vigilant. Terrible risk management but I guess some people prefer to ride their luck - and their nerves.

DMC, even your cases look wonderful! Still, your lovely kit deserves to be protected.
Sorry to hear about your bass drum. One of my toms collapsed on by bass drum last year and it bent the tom's rim flange a little bit. The bass drum has a little tiny nick in it that isn't very visible. Ironwood is gnarly stuff. I mainly have the hard cases to protect the single-point tube lugs, which are fairly fragile.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:53 PM

Oh that sucks that they aren't sold in the us. im looking into purchasing Pearl Refs n=and im gonna need some more cases and i dont really feel like using softcases on those puppies no matter how good the cases are lol
Old 03-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh that sucks that they aren't sold in the us. im looking into purchasing Pearl Refs n=and im gonna need some more cases and i dont really feel like using softcases on those puppies no matter how good the cases are lol
You can go with SKB but they're a lot more expensive, although they are made in the US. Hardcases are made in England too. Go to www.hardcase.com and see if they are available in the US again or sometimes you can find music distributors who have access to remaining supplies.

I have an SKB trap case and a Humes and Berg cymbal case. I had a Hardcase cymbal case once but I think the Humes gives much better protection. The SKB trap case was spendy but it has a few more features, like molded handles and a retractable handle. Those things add to the cost and make SKB more expensive.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 AM

Alright,

Here are some of mine:

Old 03-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Hardcase rules. They cost as much as good quality soft cases. I can toss my drums around without fear.
Not about to try that... but I think I heard you mention this before. Good to know that Hardcase really is up to the job when the spit hits the fan.
Last friday I took my Unix in the hardcase on the back of my bicycle (I'm Dutch, so... bicyclo ergo sum) to show it to some pupils of mine.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

No pictures as mine are packed in my truck ready to go to practice tonight. I use Humes & Berg Enduro hard cases for all drums. Protection Racket soft cases for everything else. I currenly don't protect my rack as I leave it mostly set up to make things faster. Protection Racket cases are superb, unless you're constantly touring using third party trucking companies. When I used to tour extensively I had everything in foam cutout aluminium flight cases. Very impractical for personal transport but the only option for trucking.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:19 PM

Yeah there's nothing better then flight cases for 100% protection lol but yes i agree not the best to but in the back of a car or van lol
Old 03-23-2010, 06:27 PM

just purchased this bad boy, i think it's considered a case...........
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
just purchased this bad boy, i think it's considered a case...........
The amount in which that protects your gear greatly depends on your driving style... :)
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
The amount in which that protects your gear greatly depends on your driving style... :)
lol i guess your right, doesn't matter how solid the trailer is if you drive like a loonie
Old 03-24-2010, 01:30 AM

Common guys, I highly doubt there are only 6 people on this whole site who have cases lol get postin