DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:09 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,047
Default Coated Emperor on bass drum...booyah!

I have a fairly "worn in" Ludwig Classic Maple kit I got on eBay a while back. It sounds great but it has a 22x14" kick, which I find a bit tricky to get to sound big enough in a really loud, amplified setting (un-mic'd).

It came with a Coated Emperor batter which I had tossed aside in favor of a clear PS3, without having even tried to tune it up first. I did today...and man it sounds huge! It definitely beats the PS3 on this drum, to my ears. Feels good too!

I know a lot of drummers used them in the past (Bonham?) but are many folks out there doing this now?

I'm having trouble w/ the PS3...most of them that I buy simply don't fit my kick drums...the hoops don't sit flat on the edge of the head and they just don't tune up right. If they do tune up, it doesn't come easily and it's hard to reproduce it. I think I'm through w/ this head.

With an un-ported Coated Ambassador in front and some cut-up foam bedding sitting in the bottom, this kick sounds like a monster!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Chaos_Inferno's Avatar
Chaos_Inferno Chaos_Inferno is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 607
Default Re: Coated Emperor on bass drum...booyah!

Is it like a jazzy boom or a big rock boom?

I thought about trying Emperors front and back on my Force 3007s, a 20x17.5 bass drum but I was a little worried about if it would still sound like the punchy boom I get with my PS3 now. Unported reso of course.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:57 PM
MikeM's Avatar
MikeM MikeM is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,561
Default Re: Coated Emperor on bass drum...booyah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I'm having trouble w/ the PS3...most of them that I buy simply don't fit my kick drums...the hoops don't sit flat on the edge of the head and they just don't tune up right.
Hey zambizzi, just a thought.... I just had my 22x18 cut down to a 22x14 a couple weeks ago and the guy that did it put a counter cut on the inside of the hoops.

I didn't ask him to, but we were talking about it for the hoops of a new 24" bass drum he's building me - I had seen hoops on a drum builder website that had counter cuts as an option so I asked him about it. He said it was to help with seating the heads.

We then got into a long conversation about Remo vs. Evans, which was very interesting. Here's the condensed version: The two are mortal enemies. Both use Mylar film, which is only made by DuPont. DuPont owns Remo. The film is made in large sheets where the highest quality Mylar runs down the center of the sheets (it's most consistent with thickness). DuPont sells the lower quality (larger variation in thickness) edge cuts to Evans, which is why Remo is superior to Evans.

I don't know how much of any of that is actually true, but when I got home I put a used PS3 back on my 22" and not only did it seat properly (possibly due to the counter cut on the hoop), but sounded better than the Evans EMAD that had been on there. Hmmm.

Anyway, all this is to say that if you like PS3 and don't have counter cut BD hoops, that might be a solution.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2010, 11:51 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,047
Default Re: Coated Emperor on bass drum...booyah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_Inferno View Post
Is it like a jazzy boom or a big rock boom?

I thought about trying Emperors front and back on my Force 3007s, a 20x17.5 bass drum but I was a little worried about if it would still sound like the punchy boom I get with my PS3 now. Unported reso of course.
The way that I have it tuned, it's definitely ready for rock. It's louder than the PS3 was on there and tuned up much better.

The head was already broken in quite well. I don't imagine that a new Emperor would have sounded quite as nice...they take some time to "play in".

It's definitely *different* than the PS3. I'm able to get a lower pitch...but that may be due to the PS3 not seating correctly in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2010, 11:57 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,047
Default Re: Coated Emperor on bass drum...booyah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Hey zambizzi, just a thought.... I just had my 22x18 cut down to a 22x14 a couple weeks ago and the guy that did it put a counter cut on the inside of the hoops.

I didn't ask him to, but we were talking about it for the hoops of a new 24" bass drum he's building me - I had seen hoops on a drum builder website that had counter cuts as an option so I asked him about it. He said it was to help with seating the heads.

We then got into a long conversation about Remo vs. Evans, which was very interesting. Here's the condensed version: The two are mortal enemies. Both use Mylar film, which is only made by DuPont. DuPont owns Remo. The film is made in large sheets where the highest quality Mylar runs down the center of the sheets (it's most consistent with thickness). DuPont sells the lower quality (larger variation in thickness) edge cuts to Evans, which is why Remo is superior to Evans.

I don't know how much of any of that is actually true, but when I got home I put a used PS3 back on my 22" and not only did it seat properly (possibly due to the counter cut on the hoop), but sounded better than the Evans EMAD that had been on there. Hmmm.

Anyway, all this is to say that if you like PS3 and don't have counter cut BD hoops, that might be a solution.
Wow...that's an interesting story. I wonder if it's myth or not?

Remo definitely sounds better to me but Evans quality is superior, IMO. I've been messing around with the clear EQ4 batter head on one of my kicks and it sounds every bit as good as the PS3, to me...and is consistently excellent, in quality.

I tried doing my own relief-cut on a pair of Ludwig hoops last summer. It was quick and easy and I'd definitely do that again if I had to. Another idea I had was to find an epoxy/resin that wouldn't affect the acoustic quality of the head, and fill in the channel a bit higher. The problem with Remo BD heads is the low amount of resin which forces the hoop to need to be spread out wider and go further down onto the head, to reach the metal hoop. Evans fills them in completely and the hoops sit flat, as they should.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2010, 12:42 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 9,887
Default Re: Coated Emperor on bass drum...booyah!

I used an Emp and an Amb on my bass for many years.
I would use a felt on the batter or I would do the port and stuff thing.
I still like to put the Remos on my bass from time to time for a classic sound.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Moldy's Avatar
Moldy Moldy is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tacoma, WA, US
Posts: 678
Default Re: Coated Emperor on bass drum...booyah!

I just tried the combo (Clear Emp over Coated Amb) and I must say, I really hate it. Yes, they were brand new (oh how $80 hurts the wallet...) and thus not broken in, but the overall tone wasn't the resonant low end I was looking for. And, no, I did not shove anything inside my drum, but to me, that's counter-productive; if I needed to use muffling, I'd just use a pre-muffled head.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, I used it on a 22x18 Mapex Saturn bass.

And now, I go back to my PS3 over PS3 combo...
__________________
I <3 AllPro because they gave me my mango babies from Saturn
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com