DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 PM

Default Exporting from a laptop w/ click & In-Ear Monitor Q's

I have made several drum samples and effects for some tracks of the band that I play drums for. I have them set up so that each song is it's own track in Reason. I'm trying to figure out how I'd output the track with the click from my laptop (or iPod) to my in-ear mix while at the same time sending the track without the click to the stage mix. I'm guessing I'd probably just need to plug my laptop into a direct box, but what kind of equipment would that require? And what else do I need to do with my laptop in terms of software or hardware to fix this click situation?

I'm using Reason 4 and I have a MacBook Pro. I also have Ableton Live 7 but I haven't begun to learn it yet. I know you can ReWire the two programs, but I'm not sure if it's possible to do what I'm asking only through Reason.

I also recently purchased the Ultimate Ears UE4 Pros but don't know what would best suit my needs in terms of the monitoring system. I read good things about the Rolls PM351 Personal In Ear Monitor Mixer on another thread but I don't know what all else I might need, or if there's something better for what I want to do.

I know I have a lot of questions, so thank you so much for any help you can offer me!
Old 03-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Exporting from a laptop w/ click & In-Ear Monitor Q's

are you using any sort of interface live? do you have one?
i run most of my stuff through an spd-s and hard pan left/right. one track click + instruments for my headphones, one track samples/percussion/backing tracks etc. i can also trigger things off my laptop using midi.
most gigs i just play along to the pre-recorded mix/set rather than worrying about getting a good mix from monitors. i know the musicians i play with know the stuff inside out so there's no problem.
also i'm playing a lot of dance so i HAVE to have a click track, and the set we play is pre-mixed for sound of mind.

i'm not sure if any of that information is actually helpful, it's just what i do.

edit: didn't realise it was your first post. welcome to the forum!

Last edited by toddy; 03-20-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

Agreed. Pan hard left and hard right - then export.

I run my IE's in mono anyway and most PAs are mono, so.... I run the left side with everything and the click panned hard left. This goes to the mains. Then I run the right channel with everything BUT the click. This also goes FOH, but this send is what the rest of the band gets in their monitors and comes out thru the PA. I get the send with the click.

I also pre-mix everything down to an MP3 that is thrown on an ipod. The Ipod headphone jack gets a "Y" adapter that separates the channels. Each channel/send then gets put thru whats called a direct box where the mic cable is plugged into the snake.

When exporting or mixing out from the programs, make sure your effects are panned as well or the sound will still be stereo. This tip alone will save you hours and headaches....lol
Old 03-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

im using the next setup:
MBP runs Ableton for samples and sequences.
Controlled by my Dtxm12 wich also uses internal sounds when needed.
Yamaha clickstation metronome (not like the softmetronomes)
Audio interface (used to be a Motu Traveler or a Yamaha micro mixingdesk) with enough inputs for the Monitor Mix, Dtxm and Clickstation and enough outputs for a separate line (without the click) to the FOH.

This setup works the best for me, always stereo and right-out-of-the-box sound (no re-wiring, panning or that kind of stuff) and is very reliable to work with.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:56 PM

Thank you all for your help! I think the panning method should work. If I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask.