DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 PM

Default Snare side heads?

Between the Remo Emperor, Remo Ambassador, and Evans Hazy heads, what are the main differences in snare sound and what is your favorite pick?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Snare side heads?

Remo Ambassador
The Clear AmbassadorŪ heads are medium-weight heads made with a single ply 10-mil MylarŪ film to produce an open, bright, and resonant sound with plenty of attack.
The Clear AmbassadorŪ heads are also available in 3 mil Snare Side Heads for a warm accentuated snare response. Ambassador Snare Side Heads are known as the standard of the industry.

Remo Emperor
Clear EmperorŪ heads are made with two free-floating plies of 7-mil MylarŪ, making them the brightest sounding multi-ply heads and most durable of the classic clear WeatherKingŪ series. Clear EmperorŪ Also available in 5 mil Snare Side Heads for a more focused snare response.

Evans Hazy 300
The 3mil film yeilds a wide dynamic range and controlled snare response at all dynamic levels.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:13 PM

Hazy 300 is pretty much where you would want to start. 200 is more for jazz/brushes and the 500 (I think it's 500) probably won't have enough sensitivity for ghosts and lighter hits.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

a thicker head will need more energy to vibrate , so you will loose some sensitivity , if you play rock this won't be a problem , not quite recomended for jazz .
also a thicker head will have more mids and lows , witch is grate for metal snares , specially for steel snare drums , and will resonate more , so it will increase the sustain of the drum
Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 AM

I guess what I'm really looking for is something i can play on really quietly at some points, but at other points really beat the hell out of when it's necessary. I really play a lot of jazz combined with rock so like i pretty much need something that will sound good with a full dynamic range of sensitivity.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringSkunk View Post
I guess what I'm really looking for is something i can play on really quietly at some points, but at other points really beat the hell out of when it's necessary. I really play a lot of jazz combined with rock so like i pretty much need something that will sound good with a full dynamic range of sensitivity.
Remo Ambassador snare side or Evans Hazy 300 will see you right. Same head (3mil snare side) diff. brands.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:31 AM
Platinum Member

Check out the Remo No Collar Ambassador snare side.

Thin with clear film. Very sensitive, but is designed for marching snares that get cranked up, so it can take the heavier (rock) playing with ease.

I've used this head for years.

It's similar to the Ludwig snare side head in it's crispness and sensitivity, but it's a bit beefier sounding, & not as dry.

SA-0314-TD
Old 03-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Check out the Remo No Collar Ambassador snare side.

Thin with clear film. Very sensitive, but is designed for marching snares that get cranked up, so it can take the heavier (rock) playing with ease.

I've used this head for years.

It's similar to the Ludwig snare side head in it's crispness and sensitivity, but it's a bit beefier sounding, & not as dry.

SA-0314-TD
I've seen this before, I thought it would've only sounded right on marching snares based on how they described it...

So it sounds great on any ol' snare too? I might give this a try, next head change.