DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-14-2010, 07:55 AM

Default E-Drum head preference, Rubber vs Mesh?

Hi, I'm still pretty new to the e-drum scene. I've played on rubber pads, and I played for awhile on Roland V-drums. I thought it was a no brainer as to which is best. But in the last 2 days while talking to other drummers about me longing to switch to mesh heads, both strongly preferred the Roland rubber type pads. Both had Roland kits with a mix of Mesh and Rubber. The first guy said he just preffered the rubber type. The second on said he was tired of replacing Mesh heads, though he did admit to being a heavy hitter. So I was wondering what the general consensus was out there. Or is it really just a personal opinion. Like I said I thought it was hands down Mesh was the winner and the only issue was the price difference.
I look forward to your responses. Thanks, Dave.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: E-Drum head preference, Rubber vs Mesh?

I have some of both from Roland.

Mesh heads feel far better than rubber. It's not even close. I can't see how anyone could think a rubber pad was better.

I'm a hard hitter, but I've never once had to replace a mesh head.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Pioneer Member

I don't own an e-kit but I've tried them out many, many times. I'd take a mesh head in a heart beat. If you're buddy is wearing through them then he needs to adjust something be it the type of beater he is using, head tension or might even try a falam patch to protect the head. I am curious as to how the new Yamaha pads feel compared to the mesh.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

Mesh, without a doubt. Rubber puts so much stress on your wrists, it's not even funny. And heaven forbid if you use those godawful Rock Band drums for a long time...
Old 03-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Gold Member

I could paradiddle all day with mesh heads!

GJS
Old 03-15-2010, 02:35 PM
thatguykalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy View Post
And heaven forbid if you use those godawful Rock Band drums for a long time...
Jesus... I made the mistake of playing Rock Band for an hour on drums. My wrists hurt like nothing I'd ever felt before. Good god...

As for the topic at hand, I wouldn't mind a mixture of both. While I love the feel of mesh heads, sometimes I can't help but feel like it's like I'm hitting a trampoline. I like the heavy bounce resistance of the rubber heads for some reason, so it's hard for me to pick a winner.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:54 PM

I don't have an e-kit but I do have an old crappy snare drum fitted with a mesh head so I can practice stick control and rudiments at night. To me though it is just too springy. Weirdly I find it harder on the wrists than either a rubber practice pad or a real drum head, neither of which give me problems. Mesh heads are just too bouncy.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguykalem View Post
Jesus... I made the mistake of playing Rock Band for an hour on drums. My wrists hurt like nothing I'd ever felt before. Good god...
That's why I'd only start playing it again if I made this: http://www.edrums.info/rock_band.htm Plus, it can be used as an e-kit, great for home practice and experimentation into the world of industrial/electronica/etc.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

mesh most definitely. rubber is horrible imo, especially if we're talking snare/kick heads.

you can find some reasonably priced heads on eBay if you live in europe. look for drum-tec on german eBay. if you're in the US then i'm not sure really, i buy my heads from that eBay shop.

they have some pretty nice kick heads, if you get one then just buy an evans flam patch and put it on so you don't kill the thing (its 2 ply but it is relatively thin).
Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

oh i forgot to say, the mesh heads from that place feel amazing. for example my kick head feels like a perfect slightly loose kick head... i actually much rather play my e-kit than my acoustic nowadays.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Gold Member

Yeah, it looks like you have been given bad advice. I have owned both. The rubber pads are perfectly OK as long as you are a med to light hitter. The advantage of the mesh heads is that they are quieter acoustically and have a more pleasant feel / bounce.

Cheers
Davo
Old 03-17-2010, 07:37 PM

Just wait until you see what Yamaha is coming out with next week! FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeber13 View Post
Just wait until you see what Yamaha is coming out with next week! FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!
whats that man? are you on nda? ;p message me!
Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 AM

I have owned a Roland TD-8K and a TD-10 and now I have a Yamaha DTXtreme III and I far prefer the pads on that compared to Mesh heads.

I play gigs on the Yamaha and do about three hours of playing and I feel find afterwards, I dont have any wrist problems.

For me the Yamaha's feel slightly softer compared to the Roland hard pads...
Old 03-18-2010, 04:08 AM
Platinum Member

yeah i have to say i don't like the feel of rolands mesh heads, i would never buy their heads. they remind me of tennis rackets. then again the only thing i've bought from roland is an spd-s so yeah..
there are heads that 'feel' better than roland and yamaha imo.. R.E.T, hart etc. ofcourse it's only my opinion and everyone has their own preference. all i know is that electronic heads feel alot better nowadays than they did a few years ago.

how do you like the xtreme III? looks like a pretty good set.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Next week, Yamaha will be releasing thier new e-drum head. If anyone has noticed, they ceased to ship the DTXtreme kits in hopes for this new technology to be released. It has been called a "game changer" in many reviewer's eyes. There has been extensive research done on these new trigger pads. They quote that they may even win over the hard-nosed acoustic kit players.... Of course, that remains to be seen.

I have not personally seen this new drum pad, but was told that the new "Special" kits will have this new pad as the snare in the kit for a bit more cash than the current DTXpress IV Special.

Stand by... I'll let everyone know when I get more information...
Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

sweet man, that sounds awesome! i don't really keep too hot on stuff to do with yamaha/roland (i mainly focus a lot on software, i have a custom kit from jobeky, etc), but that sounds cool. bump the thread when you know more! :)
Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

That's the DTX900 (used to be called ''standard'') version with rs-130 rack you refering to ;)

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Yamaha...-p/dtx900k.htm

The DTX950K (used to be called ''special'') incorporates the Hex rack (as long as they are available since the have been discontinued) and an extra tom pad.

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Yamaha...-p/dtx950k.htm

They ship from today.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 AM

I don't own an E-Kit, but I gigged for a church a few times that had a Roland (pretty sure its the TD-20SX) The mesh heads on it felt amazingly real. The rubber kits at guitar center I've tried I just don't like the feel of.

And has anyone mentioned carpel tunnel?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiah331 View Post
And has anyone mentioned carpel tunnel?
in what sense? my e-kit has never left my muscles feeling any more tense after playing than my acoustic.
i try to play as loose/freely as possible, and my mesh heads have quite a bit of 'give' to them. i do hate roland heads with a passion however, far too bouncy.

thanks for the link musiqman, that yamaha looks cool but;

1. its too expensive, i can get a 5 piece electro-acoustic setup for that much with nice looking maple/mahogany shells.
2. i don't need a module because i run everything through reaper > kontakt player > ocean way / random samples. i also have a td-20 module as back up encase i need it.

it looks interesting and i'd like to try it out to see what the heads are like, but i don't think i would personally ever have any reason to buy one.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
in what sense? my e-kit has never left my muscles feeling any more tense after playing than my acoustic..
I was just kidding, to be honest. Growing up I can remember a few drummers saying 'stay away from those ekits!!!'

Just a joke...
Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

oh haha, no worries, i didn't mean it in a rude way! i was just writing my opinion hehe :)
yeah i can remember drummers with that attitude too. i just think some people don't like change.

i see my e-kit as an entirely different instrument when compared to my acoustic drums. the only time i use acoustic drums now is when i'm playing cover gigs.
it's not that i dislike acoustic drums, its just that for me the e-kit gives so many more possibilities. the main kit i use is an e-kit and i'm practicing/grooving 6 hours plus per day without any real issues.

it's just too easy to set up a click track, download songs that i need to work on to my ipod and then fool around for a while.

i also have a mini studio set up, so i can listen back to my playing and critique myself. having a setup like this means that a producer can send me a song at 5am and i might have drum/percussion tracks ready for them to evaluate by 7am. not only that, but i have practically unlimited sounds to use, and if a producer wants a kick or a snare to sound a certain way then it will, either because they send me the samples to use, or i find one in my collection.

it's like 24/7 non stop action, i actually hardly sleep now because i have too many things to do. if it wasn't for my e-kit then i think i would have missed out on a lot of opportunities which i have received, and am about to receive. i spend quite a bit of time on a small island where nothing ever happens, having an e-kit and the internet is absolutely amazing.

also, my drum workouts used to be ruined because i could never practice with my acoustic as the neighbours would get angry. now i can put my headphones on and they don't even know if i'm playing death metal at 4am in the morning.

at the end of the day, if someone wants to say that playing an e-kit isn't the same as playing an acoustic then i can only agree. to each their own :)
Old 03-21-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
oh haha, no worries, i didn't mean it in a rude way! i was just writing my opinion hehe :)
yeah i can remember drummers with that attitude too. i just think some people don't like change.
All good all good! Though I'm envious of your equipment at hand... I just throw too much money into my acoustic set to have an ekit (at least for now!)
Old 07-06-2011, 03:24 PM

In descending order:

* The new TCS head from Yamaha will probably be my preference for a long time to come (but I am yet to play it - my DTX900 will arrive soon.

* The rubber pads - especially those on the older DTXtreme (TP100/120 etc). After that the "normal" ones.

* Mesh heads - I cannot for the life of me put a smile on my face while playing these.
Played on a Roland with a soulfunk-band for quite some time and every rehearsal it was
those mesh heads. Way to bouncy and unrealistic for my taste. You might even fool
yourself into thinking that you are faster than you really are, which to me is not a good
thing. I still like the fact that the heads are replaceable though. Anyone tried HARTS heads?