DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Default whats the best harware dw?

ive been thinking about this and although i have been intriegued by the pearl gyro stands still feel dw 9000s are better, better tilter mechanism, seat cup adjustment, look better - integrated memory locks. what else could you need from a stand. any other options.

i also think there snare stands are superior the 'techlock's again the tilter mechanism. removable basket and so seems superior.

their hi hat stands also look better than any other, footboard and the closing mechanism seems effective.

finally the pedals. these are probably their weakest point in the market. pearl eliminators are more adaptable the cams and their demon drive model is the most adjustable and the direct drive places them at the top of the market. axis and trick make the most fluid pedals and the ICs are solid dependable and popular.

theres really only one main problem with their hardware the price its far above any others in a similar spec catagory.

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 03-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: whats the best harware dw?

I'm a big fan of Yamaha hardware myself. I do have a DW snare stand and it's a really nice stand no doubt, shop didn't have a yamaha in stock I wanted so I got the DW, price was about the same. Biggest thing with the DW9000 and yamaha 900 series is the stuff is just flat out heavy for transport!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbling View Post
ive been thinking about this and although i have been intriegued by the pearl gyro stands still feel dw 9000s are better, better tilter mechanism, seat cup adjustment, look better - integrated memory locks. what else could you need from a stand. any other options.

i also think there snare stands are superior the 'techlock's again the tilter mechanism. removable basket and so seems superior.

their hi hat stands also look better than any other, footboard and the closing mechanism seems effective.

finally the pedals. these are probably their weakest point in the market. pearl eliminators are more adaptable the cams and their demon drive model is the most adjustable and the direct drive places them at the top of the market. axis and trick make the most fluid pedals and the ICs are solid dependable and popular.

theres really only one main problem with their hardware the price its far above any others in a similar spec catagory.
To shy away form major names. If you are looking for both quality and affordability, Big Dog all the way!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Actually, DW's lighter weight stands are PLENTY sturdy and solid enough over the HD bigger tube versions. They cost less too.

The 7000 stands have the same features as the 9000 but weigh a lot less.

The 7000's single brace stands have plenty leg span and are very sturdy.

The FB 6000 cymbal stands are able to handle large crashes and 24" rides with no problem.
The 6000 also has all the features (same tilter, memory locks...).

They used to offer a smaller tube diam double brace leg in the 9000 series, but it's now a 5000 or 3000 with a ratchet tilter.

The lighter, 2 leg hat stand is now a 3000.

In Pearl, the 2000 snare stand (regular and low version) is GREAT. They do not need much tension to hold the tube very tightly.
They OFFER memory locks, but they are not included with the cymbal or snare stands.

There really isn't much "junk" out there these days. Really depends on what features you like/need, if you like how it looks, and how much weight you are willing to carry.

I went to the lighter stuff last year because I just got sick of lugging around a real heavy hardware case--and it has wheels.

I've had no problem with Flat Base gear at all, and I play in a rock setting with larger cymbals and a 24" ride.
I went with DW's stuff because it has integrated memory locks, and it's always been great quality stuff in the past, but, Gibraltar also makes top notch gear and FB stands.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1 View Post
To shy away form major names. If you are looking for both quality and affordability, Big Dog all the way!

damn i should have pointed out my hardware is... drum roll please

BIGDOG

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks