DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Tommycanuhearme

Default Slingerland Snare

Can anyone date this vintage Slingerland snare?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Slingerland Snare

Looks like stick saver hoops, and has a Radio King 3 pt strainer and bridge. It is probably from around the late 50s.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 PM

I know a little bit about Slingerland drums. A snapshot of the badge would be most telling though.

Assuming the finish is original it could be Sparkling Pink Champagne which would date it early 60's, 1960-63. It could also be Sparkling Champagne, Slingerland dropped "Pink" from the finish name, but the wrap still looked pink in hue in some lights. However, your drum sparkles a little more like a crushed glass finish so it could be Sparkling Pink Pearl late 50's to mid-to late 60's. Sparkling Pink Champagne was a sand finish and had a more uniform texture to the sparkle. It doesn't look dark enough to be like Smokey Sparkling Pearl which was a rare finish.

One thing that seems a bit odd to me is your drum's 3 point strainer. I don't think I have seen one that was affixed to the shell with four screws (unless I am blind and can't see the 5th and 6th), usually it was six screws (3 on each side) on the earlier models and 2 on the later models. Perhaps someone else could fill you in on this.

Also seeing a snapshot of the inside of the drum would be helpful. The presence of reinforcement rings is telling with Slingerlands as well and the make up of the shell (3-ply? maple, poplar, mahogany with maple rings? maple, poplar mahogany with Oak rings?) Slingerland had a lot of variations in their shells through the years.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycanuhearme View Post
Can anyone date this vintage Slingerland snare?
...only if they have its father's permission!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 AM
Tommycanuhearme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drums&Beer View Post
I know a little bit about Slingerland drums. A snapshot of the badge would be most telling though.

Assuming the finish is original it could be Sparkling Pink Champagne which would date it early 60's, 1960-63. It could also be Sparkling Champagne, Slingerland dropped "Pink" from the finish name, but the wrap still looked pink in hue in some lights. However, your drum sparkles a little more like a crushed glass finish so it could be Sparkling Pink Pearl late 50's to mid-to late 60's. Sparkling Pink Champagne was a sand finish and had a more uniform texture to the sparkle. It doesn't look dark enough to be like Smokey Sparkling Pearl which was a rare finish.

One thing that seems a bit odd to me is your drum's 3 point strainer. I don't think I have seen one that was affixed to the shell with four screws (unless I am blind and can't see the 5th and 6th), usually it was six screws (3 on each side) on the earlier models and 2 on the later models. Perhaps someone else could fill you in on this.

Also seeing a snapshot of the inside of the drum would be helpful. The presence of reinforcement rings is telling with Slingerlands as well and the make up of the shell (3-ply? maple, poplar, mahogany with maple rings? maple, poplar mahogany with Oak rings?) Slingerland had a lot of variations in their shells through the years.
Here's a couple photo's of the interior.

Last edited by Tommycanuhearme; 03-10-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

nice one! if it still has a badge -- check here:
+ http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcj...ers_page3.html