DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 PM

Default PS 3 or PS4 Bassdrum head?

Going to buy my first drumkit and thought I'd buy decent heads at the same time. I'm buying a Tama Superstar, not the hyperdrive. I'm planning to use the stockheads for my toms but buying new for snare and bassdrum.
For my snare I was thinking on the most common head, Remo Ambassadors. Snareheads are fairly cheap so it won't be a huge loss for me if I don't get blown away by the sound.

For bassdrum it gets a little trickier. I'm playing a Pearl Export at my school which uses a PS3 wich I think sounds pretty nice. Though I've read that double-ply heads are more suited for my style of music (I play extreme and heavy metal, rock and other hardcore music). And since PS3 is single-ply while PS4 is double ply... I feel kinda lost..

Would very much appreciate any help and tips!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: PS 3 or PS4 Bassdrum head?

Never used the PS4 mate, but I've been using PS3's for years. They will certainly work in your musical context.

I'm guessing here, but as you're comparing 1 and 2 ply heads then I would imagine the diff. between the PS3 and the PS4 would be similar to the diff between an ambassador and an emporer. The 4 may give a little more durability over time, but there may be a slight sacrifice to how wide the tuning range is.......much like an amb to emp comparisson for toms or snare.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:11 AM

In my experience thicker heads will give a better sound for heavier guitar based music. Tune them low and dirty and they'll give you a really nice punchy tone.

I don't use either, I'm an Aquarian Superkick II guy but that's my 2 pence.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the help, I went with PS3. If I like it I'll probably try out PS4 as a second head. If not, Aquatian Superkick II. Is it "safe" mixing heads togethor? Like having remo heads for toms and snare and Aquarian (which is what company?) for kick? Mixing cymbals could be risky since the different sound could clash. Thought it maybe could be the same thing for heads.

Took Emperor as batterhead for my snare and ambassador as reso. There where like three different batterheads called Emperor so I took the one just simply called "Remo Emperor" and no "CS" or stuff like that...

As for tomsheads, what's the difference in sound between PS and Emperor? Don't know if I should have PS3, PS4 or Emperor as batterheads. I like very deep toms with little resonance, but still with a bit tone (so pinstripes is as I understood is not something I'm looking for).