DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 PM

Default Yamaha DTXPLORER Question(s)

I am new to electric drum kits, and I am looking to invest in the cheapest possible kit I can find. I just want to practice at home until I use my acoustic to practice with the rest of the band. I have my eye on a Yamaha DTXPLORER. Does anyone know if I can add a ride to the current set-up? Maybe even run a splitter into the crash for my two crashes, and add my ride? Can I get away with using any electric cymbal or do I have to invest in that specific Yamaha cymbal? Not trying to ask a bunch of dumb questions, but I am uninformed, and I must stay within a certain budget for an electric kit that does have a ride, or has the option to add one.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Yamaha DTXPLORER Question(s)

Well it depends on what you need out of the kit, do you need to have 3 Toms? Or is having two crashed important.
I have the same kit for home practice, the pads can be programmed for different things, so for example, I currently have the 1st Rack tom set as a 13" tom, the 2nd 'Rack Tom' set as my ride and the remaining is default, i.e. 2 crashes and 1 floor Tom.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Well it depends on what you need out of the kit, do you need to have 3 Toms? Or is having two crashed important.
I have the same kit for home practice, the pads can be programmed for different things, so for example, I currently have the 1st Rack tom set as a 13" tom, the 2nd 'Rack Tom' set as my ride and the remaining is default, i.e. 2 crashes and 1 floor Tom.
My problem is, I need everything, in addition to a 2nd crash. Even if the two sound identical, I must have two crashes and a ride. So, I thought about splitting the single crash into two crashes, and moving my ride to the right. But, in order to do so, I have to invest in another cymbal, wire, and splitter. The pricey part of that is the cymbal. Unless I really can get away with splitting the crash, and hooking up a rock band cymbal for my ride. Sounds crazy, but I must stick to a budget. Only problem is, I've never heard of anyone adding on to an DTXPLORER, and this is a painfully large investment to make for something that may/may not work.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:29 AM

You can add one more pad or cymbal to the DTXplorer without splitting anything. On the bass drum pad there's another input. ;)

I used to have this kit as a practice kit and it's a great all around and cheap kit.