DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 AM

Default Remo Legero as a base for DIY E-Drums

I have a set of Alesis DM5 E-drums, the ones with rubber pads, not the ones with drum heads. I'd like to upgrade to something with mesh heads and a dual triggered snare. I have a chance at buying a set of Remo Legero's which is a small traveling drum kit. They originally came with a set of mesh & regular heads. The owner doesn't have the mesh heads. Anyway does anyone have experience in converting these over to E-drums or have an opinion on if these would be a good basis for that. They are similar to the Yamaha Rhythm Travelers. Thanks, Dave
Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Remo Legero as a base for DIY E-Drums

I did that with a rhythm traveller. Just went down to Radio Shack and bought 1" piezo transducers that literally bolted right onto the underside of the mesh with micro-bolts that must've been like 1/16th inch bolts (like off of eyeglasses). then I soldered them to 1/4" panel jacks and drilled the drum shell to mount the jack directly into. Total cost was like 5 bucks per drum, lmfao, but hey...THEY WORKED!!!! lolol.

Oh and BTW, my rhythm travellers told me to tell you that they're made by PEARL!!!!! STUPID HUMAN!!!!!! =)
Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 AM

Thanks, how did the heads hold up. I just read somewhere on the net that the Yamaha mesh heads tear and rip easily. The person who wrote the post said that while they are cheap they last less than a week. What was your experience. I looked at buying Pintech, Hart, or Roland Heads, that gets very expensive. They range from $36-80 a head. Dave
Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

well i switched to super-small sticks (7a's) and adjusted my playing style to play very lightly on mesh heads, I mean, what's the point of playing heavy on them, right? They've lasted the last 7 or 8 years that i've had the R/T kit, no tears.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:46 AM

That makes sense. A lot of people I talk to are busting Roland heads! There is no need to play that hard. It's easier on the carpal tunnel, easier on the heads to lighten up. I often play with 7A's or similar light Jazz sticks when I can get away from it. I'm not one to break sticks often. Last night I auditioned for a band and got the gig. The best compliment I got was they were so pleased to see someone who knew about dynamics and didn't just pound hard through the whole song. I use those plastic brush type things, Rods I think they are called, when doing quieter stuff, or just for practice.

I picked up the Legero set today. I was waffling about just putting the money into mesh triggers like Roland or Pintech, Hart, ETC or buying these. I'm glad I did. I paid $200 and they are like brand new. The previous owner put all new heads on them, comes with the case, and included the original packing material. Even if I don't E-drum them, they will come in handy for small gigs. Thanks for your responses. Dave