DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-02-2010, 01:36 PM

Default Coating on sticks,which is best question

Hi; I think I prefer sticks that have a varnish coating on them, as I think it provides a better grip,once the sticks get warmed up. I have maybe 4 pairs of (naked) sticks that I would like to coat with something,but not sure what is best as far as not chipping,flaking. Not sure if varnish,shellac,or maybe a water-based polyurethane,preferably an aerosol type. Any tips on what to use? Thanks,Huck
Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Coating on sticks,which is best question

You should be able to use almost any clear with out chipping if you just spray it on the grip end and not the entire stick. If you really want grip I did an entire thread on using Plasti-Dip found in hardware stores that I coated many pair of sticks with without issues.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
You should be able to use almost any clear with out chipping if you just spray it on the grip end and not the entire stick. If you really want grip I did an entire thread on using Plasti-Dip found in hardware stores that I coated many pair of sticks with without issues.
Thanks! I tend to have dry hands,so the uncoated sticks are hard to hang on to. The ones that I have that are coated with varnish or whatever it is and seem to provide a lot more grip than the uncoated ones. I don't think I need to go the Plasti-Dip route,but that's an option. Thanks,Huck
Old 03-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

I coat naked maple sticks w/ a marine varnish/urethane w/ great results. I get a feel very much like the Regal Tip finish.
I only coat where my hands go, leaving half the stick naked. So durability is less of an issue, but even rim clicks don't chip the finish anyway.
Also, I think this helps w/ the stick feel, I seem to get a better resonance from the stick - it could be all in my head though...
Old 03-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot View Post
I coat naked maple sticks w/ a marine varnish/urethane w/ great results. I get a feel very much like the Regal Tip finish.
I only coat where my hands go, leaving half the stick naked. So durability is less of an issue, but even rim clicks don't chip the finish anyway.
Also, I think this helps w/ the stick feel, I seem to get a better resonance from the stick - it could be all in my head though...
Hi: I also have Regal Tips,2B and 5B with the varnish finish,good grip once they get warmed up! Huck
Old 03-07-2010, 01:17 AM

I went to the local pharmacy and bought some of that flesh tone stretch bandage. It sticks to itself so you just wrap it around on an angle, overlapping a little on each turn and then squeeze it at the end so it sticks to itself. Works great for some time but eventually gets smooth. Over the years I've developed very dry skin, especially in the winter. Its to the point where I can barley keep my grip on unfinished sticks (or hard plastic, metal etc). If you have this problem, this tape/bandage is the cure ! Sorry I can't think of the name of the stuff but its very common, sold in all pharmacies. It comes in rolls of various widths - 2" etc.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Clear nail polish on wood tips

Use tennis racket over grips fro drum grips. Many different styles, thicknesses, textures and thickness.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/sear...ext=over+grips

One grip cut in half covers 2 sticks.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

I just picked up a pair of Pro-Mark Pro Grip 5As and I like the feel of them very well - slightly tacky without being sticky, and much more comfortable than the rubber dip sticks.