DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-28-2010, 01:04 PM

Default Presonus Interfaces' opinions!

Hey folks, would like to get other users / past users opinions on the different kind of Presonus Firewire interfaces.

Im looking to buy a firewire interface for my drums again, as the old studio i used to lend closed shop and owner moved.

I'we looked into the Presonus options as they seem's quite popular. The FP10 and the Firestudio Project
What i'm after is a atleast 8 XLR input and if possible 8 out interface.
Also ADAT or the possibility to stack additional racks so that i can record more mic's for ambiance and sutch.

Has to be Mac compatible witch they all seems to be, As im most used to Logic 8'n 9.

What more should i look into? Anyone used them as a mixer live and sent the out to main pa mixer? or something like that?

Also other alternatives, seen that Motu has a interface called pre8 out but that doesnt come with 8 outputs.

Any experiences shared is appreciated and valued!
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Presonus Interfaces' opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byzance View Post
Hey folks, would like to get other users / past users opinions on the different kind of Presonus Firewire interfaces.

Im looking to buy a firewire interface for my drums again, as the old studio i used to lend closed shop and owner moved.

I'we looked into the Presonus options as they seem's quite popular. The FP10 and the Firestudio Project
What i'm after is a atleast 8 XLR input and if possible 8 out interface.
Also ADAT or the possibility to stack additional racks so that i can record more mic's for ambiance and sutch.

Has to be Mac compatible witch they all seems to be, As im most used to Logic 8'n 9.

What more should i look into? Anyone used them as a mixer live and sent the out to main pa mixer? or something like that?

Also other alternatives, seen that Motu has a interface called pre8 out but that doesnt come with 8 outputs.

Any experiences shared is appreciated and valued!
Thanks in advance!
scrap the ADAT idea, it would be like getting the best VHS player instead of a Blu-ray, that technology is dated and is just dying a slow death.

As far as PreSonus products, you get a ton of bang for the buck, so to speak so if the goal is to record on the cheap, mission accomplished with the fp-10. I eventually outgrew its usefulness though and sold mine and upgraded to better pre-amps with a focusrite octopre platinum and a focusrite octopre LE. The hiss from the firepod was just too much to get a decent cymbal mix and i needed cleaner pre's. I like pro-tools though so i use a digi-002 with the platinum going in at line level and then use an ADAT light pipe connection to chain the LE unit to the 002. Then i also have a command 8 so i have sixteen channels of automated faders, all going firewire into my comp.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Presonus Interfaces' opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
scrap the ADAT idea, it would be like getting the best VHS player instead of a Blu-ray, that technology is dated and is just dying a slow death.

As far as PreSonus products, you get a ton of bang for the buck, so to speak so if the goal is to record on the cheap, mission accomplished with the fp-10. I eventually outgrew its usefulness though and sold mine and upgraded to better pre-amps with a focusrite octopre platinum and a focusrite octopre LE. The hiss from the firepod was just too much to get a decent cymbal mix and i needed cleaner pre's. I like pro-tools though so i use a digi-002 with the platinum going in at line level and then use an ADAT light pipe connection to chain the LE unit to the 002. Then i also have a command 8 so i have sixteen channels of automated faders, all going firewire into my comp.

Thanks for the honest input on the adat.
Yeah cheap isnt the most important for me, only thing i realy care about is that if i need to can add an aditional interface and get some room reverb and ambience, if id like to place a mic in a air vent or some thing crazy =)

Whats your view on its possibility or use in a live setting? to use it as a small mixer and send the signal to PA? possibility to use the outputs and send it thrue a gate or something?

Im thinking the PreSonus Firestudio might be the way to go its about 620€ here in Sweden. It seems to have better preamps then the FP10.
it's not dirty cheep.
Love your setup but its a little much for me atm.=)