DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Default Riser, anyone?

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone here would be interested in a sturdy drum riser they could easily transport and quickly assemble. I think there is a market for such a thing and before I venture into it I'd just like to get some feedback...
Easy to store.
Not too heavy.
What would you pay?
What else would you ask of such a device?

I hope this is the right place to do this.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Riser, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almuric View Post
Hi. I'm wondering if anyone here would be interested in a sturdy drum riser they could easily transport and quickly assemble. I think there is a market for such a thing and before I venture into it I'd just like to get some feedback...
Easy to store.
Not too heavy.
What would you pay?
What else would you ask of such a device?

I hope this is the right place to do this.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Heavy deck, light weight stantions.

Lightweight PVC or ABS stantions that telescope into each other for transport.

Deck plates could be heavy, though emphasis on small/portable over weight is preferred. 1/4" plywood as a deck won't cut it, would rather have decent weight mesh grate steel cut in manageable, easily portable squares.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:42 AM

Hey Al,

I've built a gazillion risers for companies like Studio Instrument Rentals, Music Prop Services, and a few others when I lived in L.A.

I'd say 90% of the ones around Hollywood are 1/2" plywood sides with 5/8" plywood tops, covered in "commercial" (really thin) carpeting. (glued down)

The most economical and easy way to make them is put (cuttable) piano hinges in the corners of the sides (where length meets width) so the two form an "L''. where the 2 "L"s join, two snap-locks each on the inside. The top can be either be a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood, or cut in half and hinged (on the inside with a piano hinge) For heavy-duty applications, a "+" brace like the ones you see under waterbeds helps support the middle.

Cheers,
C. P.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:30 AM
Platinum Member

That's quite a mission statement Almuric!
What materials do you have in mind to accomplish this task?
I would figure that aluminum would be the lightest and the least expensive.
Carbon fiber would be great too, if it wasn't so expensive.
Perhaps PVC for support legs?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Have you researched, at how many people/companies already make drum risers? http://www.stagedrop.com/products/IS...FRoragodNBv1dA
Old 02-28-2010, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the responses, folks.

Here's a not-so-great pic of my set on one riser I constructed from 5/8" plywood and pine 1X12s...

It's one foot high, six feet by six feet so it can easily hold up my double bass rig too. Its hexagonal so it can fit into a corner at a club, gym, garage or wherever and my bandmates don't crash their shins into it. They absolutely love it! I've used it with the rack and with stands. Plenty of room. Basic waterbed style with folding plywood platform and a cool folding base with a "+" center like Concrete Pete said and my own clamping method. Rock-solid!

No hex-keys to drop onto a dark, yucky barroom floor.

The thing fits into my mini-van, sets up half a moment, breaks down in even less time (a plus after a long, late gig).

I'm thinking a price of $300.0 to $350.00 from $150.00 in materials.

Its patent-pending as I'm just testing the waters now. Waddya think? If you saw it at your local music store would you spring for it?

Last edited by Almuric; 02-28-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: goofed
Old 02-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

I worked in 4 different drums shops at different times, and I can't recall anyone ever asking for a riser.

Well, maybe once.

I'm not sure how many drummers would ever actually need to purchase one. I mean, most clubs have a riser.

So you have a specific market you're targeting?

I suppose if it's cheap and portable enough, you might be able to create a market for one.
But in my experience, it's not a product that has a high demand.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Thanks, Drumeatdrum. I know what you mean. I've been drumming for over forty years and have never asked about a drum riser at a music store. But there have been countless gigs where I wished I'd had one. Most of the clubs I've played have band stages but few have had the riser too. Many private parties at the local community centers, recreation centers, school gymnasiums, outdoor events and other impromptu venues are played right on the floor. A riser under a cool set of drums adds a level of professionalism that seems worthwhile and highly doable. I just think there is a bit of a market for one. Not a huge market like for drumsticks or toothbrushes. And there are storage issues at music stores too, not much available space, pulse they'd want a cut of the price of course. But I think that, just possibly, if I'd ever seen one on display with an awesome drumset on it, and it was cheap enough, I'd have bought it! I can't help but think alot of us would. Much stuff to consider.

Lots of club have lights too, but there are bands with huge dollars invested in their own lightshows that can put those house lights to shame.