DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Elemental Nausea

Default Martin Lopez

I wanted to dedicate a thread to martin lopez of the progressive metal band Opeth.
The compositions of opeth are really unique and well structured, not just one part unfittingly linked to another just that it seems complex.There is so much shuffle feel going on in his drumming, when I listened to it more carefully, there are really many details which he adds in the grooves and I learned shuffeling better by trying to play along to some songs...maybe bernard will also check him out if he doesnt know him yet and create a page for him here on drummerworld
Old 09-15-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Martin Lopez

Excellent drummer! You really get to appreciate the complexity of his work on the 'Lamentations' dvd. Some of my favourite drumming is on the 'Blackwater Park' and 'Deliverence' album.
Nice to know I am not the only one who appreciates his drumming. On another note: I hope he recovers from his blood disorder in time when Opeth come back to London in November. I saw them last week - and they were brilliant.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:23 AM

Fantastic band and player. IMO he really excells with the band's lighter stuff, like on the Dam nation record. Those licks he used in "Windowpane" are cool as hell!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det_Nosnip
Fantastic band and player. IMO he really excells with the band's lighter stuff, like on the Dam nation record. Those licks he used in "Windowpane" are cool as hell!
That drum break in it is unbelievable....... Can anyone transcribe it?

Anyways Martin Lopez is amazing. Not only on Damnation but all the other records as well. In Lamentations really shows his skill from how he can play really soft during the soft set and then then get the whole crowd going during the "heavy" set.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:07 AM

i just saw opeth last night in philadelphia...and once i got there, i heard Martin wouldnt be playing, i was so dissapointed, but then i heard the drummer from bloodbath was gonna fill for him, he really aced the set. great drummer didnt miss a beat, but he still is no martin lopez. it just didnt seem the same without him playing, even tho i wasnt really watching the drummer or anything lol....hes byfar my favorite drummer, so much so that im gonna purchase his premier artist setup and the 14x7 modern classic snare..woot!
Old 01-22-2006, 05:49 AM

Default Martin Lopez

Am I the only one who knows him? He's the drummer of ''Opeth''

www.opeth.com

hes awesome..Influenced by latin/jazz drumming and also a great heavy metal drummer...

Last edited by Hide; 01-22-2006 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Wrong section
Old 01-22-2006, 06:35 AM

Hey Hide,
GREAT CHOICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....Most people don't know of him because of the style of music he plays and Opeth is not really a house hold name ( In most homes ) But if you wanna learn what AMAZING double bass is....Dang..... Martin is the man !!!!!!. Personally i do not care for the vocal stylings of Opeth. With that said i do own there complete library.. My personal favorite is Damnation... That's where Martin SHINES in my opinion....110% taste and feel. Great chops and plays in the pocket consistently... More people need to know of Martin Lopez........................Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 01-22-2006, 04:21 PM

Yeah, Opeth are a very very talented band doing some interesting things... I too however feel the band would benefit greatly from less of the "cookie monster" vocals.

It is a pity about Martin's health problems... it must be very frustrating to miss legs of tours for treatment!
Old 01-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Pioneer Member

It's the balance between his "cookie monster vocals" and mellow vocals that make the band for me.

But anyway, yeah he's a good drummer. Very tasteful. Knows exactly when to release his deadly chops, and when to sit back.

And his drum sound on Ghost Reveries is awesome.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Great drummer, I've always liked Opeth and have had the opportunity to see them on show, unfortunatly Martin wasn't there, it was the drummer for Blood Bath replacing, it's a shame because I wanted to hear his live playing.

When I heard the song Ghost of Perdition on the new album, when the end of the song came I almost fell flat on my ass, amazing material.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:07 PM

Great drummer, Im seeing Opeth March 1st.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:42 PM

i must first say that i dont like opeth's heavy stuff, i respect the skill, but i dont find it appealing. but their album "damnation" has to be one of the most inspirational prog rock albums ever. and lopez is amazing on it, killer beats and inventive fills.
a superb performance
Old 01-24-2006, 09:31 PM

I love Opeth. As for Lopez? They may as well call the band Lopez, he's a great drummer. I love everything about the way they play. Martin Lopez can play it all fast, slow, heavy, tasteful, everything. My band is covering Deliverance for an upcoming show. If I get a recording of it I'll post it.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberjackIvan
I love Opeth. As for Lopez? They may as well call the band Lopez, he's a great drummer. I love everything about the way they play. Martin Lopez can play it all fast, slow, heavy, tasteful, everything. My band is covering Deliverance for an upcoming show. If I get a recording of it I'll post it.
I agree to 100%! I've seen them live once and Lopez is a great drummer! And I hope you get a recording of the song and post it! Would be awesome to hear! I've covered it once in a band. My personal favorites are Deliverance and Damnation.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:32 AM

martin lopez is by far the best metal drummer in the best metal band of all time...

he really adds to the music... and has a pair of the fastest legs/feet in the buisiness

i love martin lopez and opeth...its just really sad about his health problems

im seeing them in march..i hope hes fit to tour by then
Old 02-24-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Martin Lopez for Opeth

I have heaps of videos on this guy, he is insane. Opeth being one of the best metal bands ever.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:44 PM

if only the Minneapolis date hadn't sold out, i would be seeing them tonight.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:03 AM

Mate i live in Australia and they are finally here. Opeth are one of my favourite bands and i cant see them because its over 18 and im 17 years old. Im in tears.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:02 PM

I'm really cut that lopez quit. I understand that he's got health problems but I can't imagine Opeth without him. I just saw them in Australia, and its was amazing, dirty mix, and the drummer from Bloodbath is nowhere as good as lopez, but still a good show. I don't want the 'Axe' (bloodbath) in Opeth, not enough finese as lopez, and not neat passages in any of their music (as opposed to Opeth). Oh well....
Old 05-18-2006, 02:05 PM

What? He has even quit now? What a shame, I have already seen opeth twice, once at last yearīs summer breeze festival and once in munich. But I have never seen Lopez live it was always the bloodbath drummer who, of course, did a good job but I hoped that I could see Lopez live at "Rock im Park" this year....wonīt be happening I guess...
I wonder what the causes are for his "shock attacks" or whatever they are calling it
Old 05-18-2006, 10:49 PM

I went to a opeth concert in istanbul on march 29th but lopez wasnt there my firends said he broke his leg or something but axe was fine I was hoping to see him in nova rock fest austria but bad luck lopez is a better drummer then axe but there realy isnt a big difference
Old 05-19-2006, 03:33 AM

Martin Lopez wasnt there because he was having panic attacks and couldnt go on tour. Martin is now out of the band officially and has been replaced by Axe their touring drummer as a permanent member.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Finally a topic to a great drummer. I did not know he exsisted or even the band for that matter until I got my Sirius satelite radio. Deliverance was on the radio which I didn't know what is was called until the end of the song, I was like I have got to find out who this band and drummer are. Well I am officially hooked as an Opeth fan and more so a Martin Lopez fan! That would be a shame if he has really left the band, but your health is much more important than anything else! If could play any song before I die it would be Deliverance his double bass work in that song is sick!!
Old 08-28-2006, 01:23 PM

So sad how Martin Lopez isnt in the band anymore :( He left the band this year because of his health problems. Although i was lucky enough to see him in the local drum store!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

I'm most probably gonna get stoned by the hardcore fans for saying this but, as much as I dig Martin Lopez's drumming, for some reason, I prefer the new drummer...
Old 08-29-2006, 06:00 AM

I have'nt heard him yet, I would like to although I'll probably have o wait until their new album.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Gold Member

What kind of snare did he use on the "Damnation" album?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:11 PM

13x7 premier modern classic maple, natural lacquer
Pro-mark Japan White Oak
Old 05-12-2007, 05:11 PM

His drumsound on "Ghost Reveries" is unbelievable clear!

I love this album.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 AM

I find it several reoccurring themes in this thread disturbing..

Firstly, the general lack of Opeth's heavy material. I've found that even those who appreciate softer styles of music enjoy Opeth's ability to transcend musical genre and belt out something heavy and soft in succession.

Second, the lack of recognition for My Arms, Your Hearse and Still Life, both of which are phenomenal albums and in my opinion have many more awesome drum moments than Black water Park, Deliverance and Ghost Reveries... Especially when it comes to having a less 'tool-esque' proggy feel. It's alot more rock/metal with latin and jazz influence than prog, drum-wise, which is imo where lopez stands out.

Also, Noone has mentioned that Martin Lopez appeared on Amon Amarth's album Once Sent From A Golden Hall... Which is basically in my opinion not only the band's best album, but it's also my favorite Lopez work. The drumming on that album really shows Lopez's unique styling and his 'metal' side more than Opeth. You can see how different he is from other drummers once he picks up the tempo.

I pretty much agree that Lopez is an amazingly talented and unique drummer, though. He's one of my reasons for picking up the sticks in the first place (after 7 years of bass and 4 of guitar. I'm only 19) and I honestly wouldn't look at music the same way had I not heard his material. He took my perspective away from guitars and towards not only drums but the overall piece of music in its whole.

And to Drum-Head: Axenrot hasn't appeared on any of Opeth's albums yet.. As far as I know when he plays live he pretty much sticks to the script. Axenrot is a great drummer (I love bloodbath) but I don't think we've seen exactly what he's made of..
Old 05-16-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genocide98 View Post
I find it several reoccurring themes in this thread disturbing..

Firstly, the general lack of Opeth's heavy material. I've found that even those who appreciate softer styles of music enjoy Opeth's ability to transcend musical genre and belt out something heavy and soft in succession.

Second, the lack of recognition for My Arms, Your Hearse and Still Life, both of which are phenomenal albums and in my opinion have many more awesome drum moments than Black water Park, Deliverance and Ghost Reveries... Especially when it comes to having a less 'tool-esque' proggy feel. It's alot more rock/metal with latin and jazz influence than prog, drum-wise, which is imo where lopez stands out.

Also, Noone has mentioned that Martin Lopez appeared on Amon Amarth's album Once Sent From A Golden Hall... Which is basically in my opinion not only the band's best album, but it's also my favorite Lopez work. The drumming on that album really shows Lopez's unique styling and his 'metal' side more than Opeth. You can see how different he is from other drummers once he picks up the tempo.

I pretty much agree that Lopez is an amazingly talented and unique drummer, though. He's one of my reasons for picking up the sticks in the first place (after 7 years of bass and 4 of guitar. I'm only 19) and I honestly wouldn't look at music the same way had I not heard his material. He took my perspective away from guitars and towards not only drums but the overall piece of music in its whole.

And to Drum-Head: Axenrot hasn't appeared on any of Opeth's albums yet.. As far as I know when he plays live he pretty much sticks to the script. Axenrot is a great drummer (I love bloodbath) but I don't think we've seen exactly what he's made of..
I appreciated reading that and its clear to me that your a huge fan of opeth. It shows that youe ve actually listened to their material when you talk about the latin and jazz influences that he has, which is one of the reasons Lopez is in my top rankings. I cant stand it when people put forward an opinion when they really have no idea what they are on about.

I respect his style so much because he blends these styles into the heavy metal genre, and its amazing to listen to them in a death metal band like opeth. However, i would have to say that Amon Amarth's latest album, With Oden On Our Side, is their best, not speaking drum wise but the band as a whole.

Also if you havnt seen Opeths DVD, the making of deliverece and damnation, i dffinately recommend it. There is some awesome footage of Lopez.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

I am bumping this. Anyone know what Martin is up to now? I am dying to hear more from him.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM

I would love to hear what hes up to as well.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:40 PM

So would I... can't wait to hear what he's up to.

I'm very sad he couldn't stay in the band... he's so much more dynamic than Axe in many ways. But we'll see once the new album is out.

Genocide98, I agree that My Arms Your Hearse and Still Life are easily overlooked by many fans. I've recently discovered MAYH myself, and so far I can tell it's some of their best work. Still Life, though, is definitely my favorite Opeth album. Not only is Benighted and Face of Melinda two of their best ballads with suberb acoustic guitar play, Serenity Painted death contains two of my favorite Opeth solos. :D
Old 09-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

Serenity Painted Death has some of the coolest vocals too.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure_02 View Post
I am bumping this. Anyone know what Martin is up to now? I am dying to hear more from him.
I know it's been a while but I was just reading around he's apparently working on a project that isn't named at the moment. I don't know anything about it, very little information has been released, I'm waiting with baited breath.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 PM

Jojo Mayer says "Go back and listen to what your favourite musicians were listening to".
So, tracing back Steven Wilson, I discovered Opeth, and of course, Martin.

Wish there were more like him in the metal world.
And waiting for the new material.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:51 PM

hay!
I am new here and I really do love Martin Lopez.
When I listened to Opeth for he first time I was completely out of my mind they have one of the best drummer in the world and it's true.
Martin Lopez makes me fly away; he makes feel the freedom that I have been searching for a long time ago.
I really miss him and Opeth it's not any more the same without him.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:19 PM

Hey guys, does anyone know what really happened to Lopez? All the information about his mysterious illness was quite vague... What's a "panic attack" anyway? He seems like a very down-to-earth calm guy... why would he be having those?

And what do you think of the drumming on Opeth's latest "Watershed"?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:35 PM

hiii!
euh I wanna know too what happened to lopez.?
the new drummer of opeth is good he is the ex-drummer of bloodbath but no one can replace Martin Lopez he is the best.