DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-20-2010, 11:56 PM

Default Snare batter heads... what to do?

First off, I play rock and metal.

For some background, im getting a new snare this week. Its a LE Tama Metalworks steel snare, 13x6.5. This snare comes with an Evans Power Center reverse dot/Hazy 300. I've been playing on a 14" Mapex M maple with a Genera HD dry.

I was recommended the Genera HD dry for my maple and bought it; I thought it sounded great. But, from what i've been reading, it looks like an HD on a maple and a reverse dot on a steel drum are complete opposites on the spectrum.

How exactally does a reverse dot sound different than a Genera dry?
Should I consider getting a reverse dot for my maple and getting a different head for my steel?
What are some good options for the steel; I see genera dry, hd dry, st dry and I don't know the difference.

By the way, take a look at the snare, tis beauty,

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/usa/news/p..._MW/index.html
Old 02-21-2010, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Snare batter heads... what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSTON 94 View Post
First off, I play rock and metal.

For some background, im getting a new snare this week. Its a LE Tama Metalworks steel snare, 13x6.5. This snare comes with an Evans Power Center reverse dot/Hazy 300. I've been playing on a 14" Mapex M maple with a Genera HD dry.

I was recommended the Genera HD dry for my maple and bought it; I thought it sounded great. But, from what i've been reading, it looks like an HD on a maple and a reverse dot on a steel drum are complete opposites on the spectrum.

How exactally does a reverse dot sound different than a Genera dry?
Should I consider getting a reverse dot for my maple and getting a different head for my steel?
What are some good options for the steel; I see genera dry, hd dry, st dry and I don't know the difference.

By the way, take a look at the snare, tis beauty,

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/usa/news/p..._MW/index.html
I have a bit of experience with the heads you mentioned.

Here's my thoughts,

With a Power Center Reverse dot you're getting a thicker center area that's designed for focusing the tone of the drum while still allowing the it to ring around the edges while retaining the drum's natural overtones. The Dry heads are kind of similar to the premuffled heads on the market like Remo's Power Stroke 3 & 4 models. They are designed to dampen the overtones of the drum while helping to add focus and body. The Dry heads achieve this by the use of vent holes around the outer circumference of the head rather than the Tucked mylar sleeve design of the the Power Strokes.

Steel is a very reflective material, so expect a loud crisp drum sound with huge attack and an ample amount of high end ring. Maple on the other hand can also sound loud and crisp but with less authority and overtones that are more mid-rangy. I have heard my fair share of ringy maple snares with good attack but if you were to do a side-by-side comparison you'd hear how much more aggressive a steel shell is.

What head to use on what is all a matter of what you're looking to achieve. I like a little bit of ring from my drums but steel snares can be overwhelmingly ringy. The Steel snare might be a perfect candidate for the dry head. I have always liked coated single ply heads on my maple snares with exception of a Craviotto snare that I own which rings for days. A little bit of dampening helps focus the tone of this drum a lot.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:07 AM

Alright. Kind of random, how would a remo pinstripe sound on it?
Old 02-21-2010, 04:04 AM
Gold Member

Even if you cranked the pinstripe it would still sound pretty dead. That steel snare was designed to send a nice "loud" crack. A single ply would definitely be loud with a lot of ring. If it were my steel 13, I would toss a coated EC rev dot, crank it and go from there. I would say to my ear, the EC rev dot has more volume than the Power Center. The Power Center to me sounds louder with more tone than a Pinstripe. But then again, that's my interpritation and opinion. I consider the EC Rev dot a middle of the road head and use it for live and recordings.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 AM

I might consider the EC. I have some moongel I might throw on the Power center for the 13. I just randomly have a 13 pinstripe and remember Brann Dailor using one in the Blood and Thunder video
Old 02-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Gold Member

That's the ticket. If you are going to play it in a jam session without micing than it may not be as loud as you would like it to be. Especially playing with your Metal comrades, trying to compete with screaming guitars and thunderous bass. You will lose every time. I have a 13 OCDP Maple I love to play live but that's the only time I can play it, when its micd.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

I've owned a Metalworks (actually two) and all I have to say is... don't change the snare head. I mean, you can, but Tama really does pair it's snares with specific heads for a reason. The Power Center will dull the ring to tolerable levels but still keep the power.

Believe me, I've tried everything short of Fiberskyns and Black Suedes on 'em and the Power Center is the best. Don't be afraid to experiment, though! Just giving you my experience.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:52 AM

maybe a Remo controlled sound?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM
thatguykalem

For a steel snare, I'd take a look at Remo Emperors.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
That's the ticket. If you are going to play it in a jam session without micing than it may not be as loud as you would like it to be. Especially playing with your Metal comrades, trying to compete with screaming guitars and thunderous bass. You will lose every time. I have a 13 OCDP Maple I love to play live but that's the only time I can play it, when its micd.
That's what rimshots are for.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:47 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I got the Power Center and Hazy 300 tuned up nice. I put one moongel on it to see how it would affect the ring and it controlled just enough ring that its got the steel sound and volume but its not overwelmingly ringy.