DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Default fans can be a pain sometimes

i love our fans. they are the bomb. they are what keeps us going and enable us to play live and get paid for it, but i'm telling you they can be a pain sometimes.

i'm in a new band now that is an outgrowth of another band i was in that became fairly popular and had a lot of fans. many of those fans are now fans of the new band, and that's where the trouble starts. this weekend i decided it was time to create some web pages for us on places like myspace, facebook, ilike, and so on, but much to my surprise i discovered that our fans have already created pages for us on all those web sites. they've used our band name in every case, but most of the pages have very little information about us on them. i want to take over those pages but i can't because i don't know who created them in the first place. so far, i managed to get control of the facebook page but i don't know how i'm going to get to the other pages. sheesh! i mean, bless their well meaning hearts, but these people can be a pain sometimes!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Default Re: fans can be a pain sometimes

Can you post a comment on their page and ask them to stop. That you will make a page for your own band.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

I wish my band had problems like that. Maybe you could offer some free tickets and/or merch as bartering chips.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I would make your own "official" band page just the same. Good luck trying to tell them to cease and desist. I think you might come off (to them) as ungrateful for their enthusiasm. Tough call.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Founder Drummerworld

If you create the real page for your band on facebook and myspace you can ask there via helpcenter to remove the other pages. This works fine

Bernhard
Old 02-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

the thing is, i probably know these people because i've gotten to know most of the fans. i need to post an all out "cease and desist" request on facebook or someplace like that.

these people are just excited about us and trying to be helpful, but it's no help when you're trying to publicize your band and you find out that all possible band web sites have been taken by your own fans.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 AM
Silver Member

my band is really smart about this and we keep up with all the social media sites and try to get to them first. We have first name status on 11 different sites now.
MySpace Facebook Twitter Flickr Bebo Last.fm iLike VIRB° ReverbNation Pandora Wikipedia

probably more than that actually thats just the ones I can remember. we also got .com .org and .net registered for the website.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

The thing is, you should have signed up for all those pages BEFORE you ever told anyone what the new band's name would be.

I'd hope you at least looked to see if those names were even available before choosing that name.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 AM
Platinum Member

yes, in retrospect it would've been smart to claim all those web pages before the fans did, but i didn't anticipate that. let this be a lesson to all you band people out there! take dibs on those web pages before someone else does!

our band name is so obscure that a web search doesn't turn up any other bands using it. i'm pretty sure no other band is using our name, but i suppose it's possible. i'm 99% sure the pages i found were created by fans because they mention our personal names.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:47 AM

Am I getting this?
You've GOT fans and your moaning about it? lol

We had one guy from Poland who asked for a cd once, he sent a Polish postal order but It looked so cool we put it up on the wall and sent him the cd for free.

why not just tell them what you want on the pages and get them to manage the sites, you know get them involved etc. sounds like it wont be long before you'll be too busy to manage them anyway.