DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM

Default Wooden tips chipping!!!!

Hey everyone,

At the moment I'm currently very frustrated and wondered if any of you could help. For years now I've been playing with Vater 5a nylon tipped sticks and have loved the feel of them. They've allowed me to play at both fast and slow speeds with ease. However I've recently grown tired of the nylon tipped and moved to vic firth 5a wooden tip after trying the vater wooden tip. However after a few weeks of playing the tips simple chip and shatter when the rest of the stick barley has a mark on it.

I now have a problem. I play many different styles of music as I work as a session musician and wish to have a stick as light as the 5a but wont shatter. I've tryed the, american classic rock stick and a few others and have found them to be too heavy which makes my playing sluggish and messy.

Just wondering if any of you have any suggestions as to what to do?

Thanks a lot
Robertondrums
Old 02-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Wooden tips chipping!!!!

I had a very similar problem with my sticks splintering, so after doing some research and experimenting I've found that maple sticks don't splinter (they just dent, and eventually snap in half) and are very light, but can still have a wider diameter. They may be what you're looking for so you might wanna try 'em out. :)

-Jonathan

And a like facebook.com/illusivemanmusic
Old 02-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Gold Member

1. The weight of the stick has nothing to do with tip chipping.
2. I used Vics until the tips on them started chipping in abou 5 minutes. I switched to Promark and the sticks get ragged from rim shots before the tips chip. I like the tip shape better, too.
3. Check out the Regal Tip E-tips. These are nylon tips that look like this:

These don't sound like the typical nylon tip; in fact, they sound very much like a brand new wood-tipped stick. And obviously, they don't chip.

4. If you work as a session musician, sticks are part of the cost of doing business.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

i used to play vic firth wooden tipped 5As, but like you i got tired of the tips breaking when the rest of the stick was perfectly fine. i switched to nylon tipped 5As and have been using those for a long time with no trouble. the nylon tips never break or come off. but recently i heard a live recording of my band and my ride cymbal sounded super bright with the nylon tips so i think i'm going to try the wooden tipped ones again. my new band isn't as loud as my old band so i think i should be able to make the wooden tipped sticks last.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
2. I used Vics until the tips on them started chipping in abou 5 minutes. I switched to Promark and the sticks get ragged from rim shots before the tips chip. I like the tip shape better, too.

These don't sound like the typical nylon tip; in fact, they sound very much like a brand new wood-tipped stick. And obviously, they don't chip.

4. If you work as a session musician, sticks are part of the cost of doing business.

I have these in both 5B and 7A and I love them. They last forever.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Big_Philly

I only use chipped sticks for home practise and teaching, and I generally throw my sticks away when the chipping gets too bad. Mine (VF 5A or X5A) usually chip after about 6 to 8 weeks, sometimes faster, sometimes slower. That's not bad for the life of a pair of sticks - there's people who break sticks every week.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass.of.E.r.a. View Post
I had a very similar problem with my sticks splintering, so after doing some research and experimenting I've found that maple sticks don't splinter (they just dent, and eventually snap in half) and are very light, but can still have a wider diameter. They may be what you're looking for so you might wanna try 'em out. :)

-Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan I might just have to try out some maple sticks. Snapping my sticks is not a problem. I can make mine last months before having to change, I only tend to use new sticks for shows and such, it's just the tip chipping which drives me mad.

Thanks for the advice I will try this

Robertondrums
Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:

These are quite interesting, I've seen them before but never really tried them. To be honest tho I really just want to get away from nylon all together. Might try a pair tho if I come across them.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyairman View Post
i used to play vic firth wooden tipped 5As, but like you i got tired of the tips breaking when the rest of the stick was perfectly fine. i switched to nylon tipped 5As and have been using those for a long time with no trouble. the nylon tips never break or come off. but recently i heard a live recording of my band and my ride cymbal sounded super bright with the nylon tips so i think i'm going to try the wooden tipped ones again. my new band isn't as loud as my old band so i think i should be able to make the wooden tipped sticks last.
Thats the main reason why I have changed to wooden tip is because in recordings that I do in the studio my drums sound way too bright. I need to find the perfect pair as my band will start to record our new album that is due to be recorded this month. NOT GOOD!!

Thanks for the comment
Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
I only use chipped sticks for home practise and teaching, and I generally throw my sticks away when the chipping gets too bad. Mine (VF 5A or X5A) usually chip after about 6 to 8 weeks, sometimes faster, sometimes slower. That's not bad for the life of a pair of sticks - there's people who break sticks every week.
I'e been thinking about trying out the X5a as I love the feel of the 5a sticks but want to find somthing that is going to last that little bit longer. How do they feel? Are they heavier than the 5a's and do they respond similar?

Thanks for your comment.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:45 AM

Whoever has a problem with wooden sticks chipping, breaking etc. you should give carbon sticks a try, i used to go through about 1 or 2 pairs of wood sticks a week but since switching to carbon sticks they last about 4 to 5 months with minimal damage to them followed by catastrophic failure after the 4ish months haha but i will never go back to wooden sticks unless its for recording purposes, just my own personal opinion.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertondrums View Post
I'e been thinking about trying out the X5a as I love the feel of the 5a sticks but want to find somthing that is going to last that little bit longer. How do they feel? Are they heavier than the 5a's and do they respond similar?

Thanks for your comment.
The size and weight of the sticks will not affect the life of their tips. X5A have pretty much the same tips as ordinary 5A, so they will last pretty much the same.

Try dipping the tips clear nail polish, that supposedly prolongs their life without changing the sound.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
The size and weight of the sticks will not affect the life of their tips. X5A have pretty much the same tips as ordinary 5A, so they will last pretty much the same.

Try dipping the tips clear nail polish, that supposedly prolongs their life without changing the sound.
Actually I do get the impression that the X5A tips chip a little sooner, this might be because of the extra length (and thus the extra velocity --> kinetic energy) that they need to deal with. But maybe I just had some bad luck with them.
Next time I buy sticks I will buy regular 5A - the extra 1/2" isn't really of much influence for a tall guy like me. They respond similar, and the X5A's might be a little bit louder.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks for your comment.
I use X5A nylon for most playing. I like the nylon tip for live work & practice as they're really tough. You'll find the X5A's have a degree more whip feel to the wrist than the 5A's. The extra length adds this whip plus a small degree of extra volume.

Totally agree on the nylon tips being too bright in the studio. I suggest wood tips for this. I've just done some recording and made the mistake of using my nylon tip X5A's, but for live work they're so much more durable than the wood tips.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
These are quite interesting, I've seen them before but never really tried them. To be honest tho I really just want to get away from nylon all together. Might try a pair tho if I come across them.

Thanks
My kid started playing these in a kind of fat-shouldered 7A size for church and jazz band, and I was impressed with the sound on cymbals--very slightly more articulate than wood, but nothing like the usual artificial sound you get from nylon.

Also, Regal Tip's finish is unique, it feels great to the hand and doesn't get slippery when you sweat.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:31 PM

I hear you on the tips chipping on the ride. I was just using the bargain bin 5As but it got to the point that one day I was chucking a stick every 5 minutes without crashing at all, only the sides of the head chipped off or it split down the center, I don't want to tear a 20 dollar head just because of a 1 dollar stick which I may or may not catch by the time I hit a drum.

After that I tried some cheaper nylon tips to see how they held up, definitely no complaints, all praise. I like the sound I get out of all of my cymbals better, they seem to rebound a little more and best of all I'm still using the same pair confidently for the last few weeks.

In my new fandom of nylon tips and always liking round tips, I've been playing with Vater 3a fatbacks nylon the past couple days. I'm pretty sure these will last a good long while.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM

Ive used so many different brands of sticks and my favorite are Vic Firth Peter Erskine's. I don't play my sticks very hard and it seems they always break at the tips. I have just forgotten that and decided sticks don't last long, and so now I just spend 9 dollars on sticks every 3 weeks.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:15 AM

Somebody on some forum (how's that for precision) mentioned using a Minwax wood preservative/hardner(??) and dipped the stick tips in it. Seemed to work ok. I'll see if I can find the exact name of the product.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:20 AM
Silver Member

I had the sane problem, I switched to the E series Regal sticks and I have been playing witht the same pair for 6 months. They have the sound of a wood tip (pretty close anyway)
and a good feel. I still like a wood tip so I will use a maple which is sfter and less likley to chip. Try the Regal, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

This chipping is exactly why I switched to nylon tips early on. Makes me wonder why so many ppl that complain about chipping also complain about nylon tips- see the "least favorite stick" thread. Yes, they're brighter on ride cymbals, and if you don't dig that, just get a darker sounding ride. If it sounds silly, remember that rides generally don't take a lot of abuse unless they're crash-pummeled Lars-style, so eventually it'd pay for itself in saved stick money. Plus, most recording engineers I've worked with [and granted, it hasn't been a ton- maybe, 10, 11?] have loved the nylons, and they & some artists who'd hired me for sessions have only suggested wood tips when the sound fit the vibe of the song better. [And in those cases, I either agreed or thought neither was necessarily better in the situation than the other.]
Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
This chipping is exactly why I switched to nylon tips early on. Makes me wonder why so many ppl that complain about chipping also complain about nylon tips- see the "least favorite stick" thread.
Probably because they positively hate the sound of nylon tips on cymbals. No reason to wonder: guys like the sound of wood tips and wish their wood tips would last longer. Wishing your wood tips would last longer is not the same thing as liking the sound of nylon.

Quote:
Yes, they're brighter on ride cymbals, and if you don't dig that, just get a darker sounding ride.
That sounds utterly silly.

Quote:
If it sounds silly, remember that rides generally don't take a lot of abuse unless they're crash-pummeled Lars-style, so eventually it'd pay for itself in saved stick money.
Oops. Proof.

Quote:
Plus, most recording engineers I've worked with [and granted, it hasn't been a ton- maybe, 10, 11?] have loved the nylons, and they & some artists who'd hired me for sessions have only suggested wood tips when the sound fit the vibe of the song better.
This has not been my experience.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Probably because they positively hate the sound of nylon tips on cymbals. No reason to wonder: guys like the sound of wood tips and wish their wood tips would last longer. Wishing your wood tips would last longer is not the same thing as liking the sound of nylon.
I didn't say it was- I just said there's a solution to both problems, that you said sounds silly, which is only the case when it's dismissed without thought. With a little bit of thought and an investment in the right ride, it's not silly at all. If one doesn't like the sound of nylon tips on a particular ride, then it's due to that particular combination. So the switch is made to wood tips- likes the sound but now the tips chip. So it's silly to switch the ride? Why can a different tip be a good idea but a different cymbal is silly? If one can get the sound he/she likes with nylon tips on the right ride when previously he/she couldn't, which was probably the reason for the dislike of nylon tips, there's nothing silly about that.

Quote:
Oops. Proof.
Of what? A solution? Nylon tips + correct ride = desired sound + no more chipping. Win-win.

Quote:
This has not been my experience.
Sorry...?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
Sorry...?
Sorry, should have been more clear.

I've never been asked to use nylon by a recording engineer, nor have I ever heard one express his preference for them in 40 years in the business.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks Jonathan I might just have to try out some maple sticks. Snapping my sticks is not a problem. I can make mine last months before having to change, I only tend to use new sticks for shows and such, it's just the tip chipping which drives me mad.

Thanks for the advice I will try this

Robertondrums
Your welcome!! the ones I use are the Pro-Mark Todd Sucherman sig. stick. And the absolute best part about maple is that there won't be any sawdust covering your drums/the floor anymore. Woot!!

-Jonathan

And a like facebook.com/illusivemanmusic
Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 PM

Well i use tama 7a's, and have been for a while, never ever snapped a pair of them :] I only replace them when the logo wears off (dont have a go, i just like them with logos on), but yeh they are japanese oak instead of american hickory and just dont break :]
Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 PM

I've got the same problem with my Vic Firth X5As I'd love to try some Regal Tips or Promarks but stupid Guitar Center keeps all non Vic Firth brand sticks behind the counter and the only way to them is to have a sales rep stand there and hand you each pair to try out. I end up just picking up my Vic Firths so I don't have to deal with that.

I miss the days of locally owned drum shops who didn't push specific brands on you.

Anyway there was a thread a while back asking what to do with old drum sticks. Did any one come up with a use for the chipped ones? I've got a collection growing.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Anyway there was a thread a while back asking what to do with old drum sticks. Did any one come up with a use for the chipped ones? I've got a collection growing.
Most of mine became firewood, until my fiance's mom, who operates a puppet ministry at her church for the kids, took a bunch to use as handles for props.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:14 AM
thatguykalem

If you're trying to play soft, I can only recommend chipping off your wooden tips. You get a far softer sound out of everything, especially the ride.

I never have this problem. Probably because I only ever use the shoulder of the stick for big hits. When I'm playing a straight beat on the hats, I'm always using the head of the stick, but that's generally the only time. Really, that's all I use the head of the stick for. Hats and toms.

Only using the shoulder can be hard when you're trying to play softly. I guess the only decent advice I can give you is go back to Nylon tips. To be honest, I prefer Wood tips more, but if you're that worried about the Wood tips chipping, then Nylon tips are your only option, I think.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:22 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Maple tips almost never chip. I'm seen it maybe twice in 20 years.

TS

http://www.promark.com/products/view/sd330w/
Old 03-14-2010, 05:36 PM

Try a couple coats of clear nail polish.

Also maybe use nylon except when playing live or recording. Switch them out when the exact sound is not crucial.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

You need to look at your cymbals.

As an example, vintage K's with deep groove edges will kill stick tips very fast, maple being the softer wood has the shortest life span on rough cymbals.

If you play cymbals with heavy hammer marks, sharp grooves, or high ridges (Zildjian A) you can expect wood tips to take a beating.

The cymbals are the road your sticks ride on, drumheads are like riding on grass.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 PM
audiotech

The only sticks that I have trouble with premature tip chipping are with the Hornet sticks. I originally bought six pairs of their 5A sticks and three of the sticks started to chip in no time. After I go through the rest of the Hornets, I'm not going to buy them again.

My girlfiend found an interesting use for the chipped sticks, lol.

Dennis
Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 AM

I have this problem as well. Personally, I use Vater XD-5A sticks. I really like the feel of them, both weight and size, but the tips getting chipped is becoming a real problem. I don't really want to have to switch to nylon tip, as I have always used wood tip sticks and don't want to change my sound too much. A few people have mentioned maple sticks as being more durable...What brand should I look out for for a similar feel to the Vatar XD, only in maple instead?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 PM

Well, I've found the solution. I've been playing with vic firth extreme 5a's now for the past 6 to 7 months. They are amazing!!! There far better than the vater 5a's. They feel better and respond better and last way way longer!!!! I dicovered them by finding out that Gavin Harrison uses them and seen as he is one of my favorite drummers and my style of playing is very similar to his I thought that I would give them a try. I practise mainly with nylon tipped which saves money and use wood tips for gigs and such. I have never had a problem with them since I changed to them. Thanks for your comments people!!! Really helped.

Robertondrums
Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I have these in both 5B and 7A and I love them. They last forever.
I am definitely going to check these out.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imispgh View Post
Try a couple coats of clear nail polish.

Also maybe use nylon except when playing live or recording. Switch them out when the exact sound is not crucial.
I wouldn't use nail polish. It will eventually wind up on your cymbals and heads.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I wouldn't use nail polish. It will eventually wind up on your cymbals and heads.

Nail polish will wick off onto heads and cymbals (so will nylon tips), but who cares, its easy to clean off cymbals and think of it as another layer of protection on your heads.

The fact is nail polish will prevent wood tips from chipping w/o seriously affecting sound like a harder material will.

Its pretty disheartening to spend $8-10 on a pair of sticks and have the tips wasted in 20 min.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

This used to be the first thing to go on a pair of sticks, for me. I found that it had more to do with my playing than it did the brand or model of the stick. I was playing more forcefully into heads and cymbals instead of pulling sounds *out* and allowing the stick to rebound. Now the first thing to go is the shoulder or the middle, from hi-hats and rimshots.

I'm not making sticks last longer, they're just wearing out in different places now. LOLz!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 PM

I was a true devotee of Pro Mark Oak 2B nylons and the wood tips. While these lasted longer than the hickory sticks of other manufacturers, they still chipped. I have recently tried out a pair of Silverfox sticks and so far I love them. The finish "dents" but doesn't chip - so far! This may be something to check out...