DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Gold Member

Default Best drum-book for practicing independence and precision on the kit.

I've come to a sort of a halt in my practice routines. I feel that I need something else to practice, and especially independence and precision. So, I was wondering if there is a book out there made specifically for this. Multiple suggestions are welcome.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Best drum-book for practicing independence and precision on the kit.

Here's a few that I've gotten a lot of mileage out of:

Syncopation (limitless possibilities with this one, theres a great thread on this forum you can reference)
The New Breed (more structured than sync - but no triplets!)
Essential Techniques (Ed Soph's brilliantly simple and easy-to-use text)
Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Best drum-book for practicing independence and precision on the kit.

Time Functioning Patterns by Gary Chaffee! Great book, except that the author suggests some not-so-practical right hand patterns off the bat. Start with the "Fat-Back" exercises, and simply play 8ths on the hi-hat or ride. Then try some slightly more challenging right hand ostinatos: accent the downbeats, play only on the "ands", "One, and-ah-Two, and-ah-Three....", "One-ee-and, Two-ee-and...", etc. Practice your independence against hi-hat/ride patterns you'll actually use on gigs first, then go further if you want.

Remember, this is the guy that taught Steve Smith and Vinnie, among others...

I like New Breed, too. Very similar to Time Functioning Patterns, but without the jazz/triplet independence, which is essential IMO. New Breed is great for reading, but so is Studio and Big Band Drumming by Steve Houghton.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Rod Morgenstein's "Drumset Warmups" is cool for precision.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:50 AM

Four Way Coordination by Elliott Fine and Marv Dahlgren. Very difficult. But it works wonders. It's good to do it with a teacher, as it keeps your nose to the grindstone. I studied it with Elliott Fine.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM

+1 On the New Breed by Gary Chester.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:55 PM

To help with independence I would recommend work with polyrhythms. My personal favourite book in this subject is Peter Magadini's Polyrhthms for the drumset.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Rod Morgenstein's "Drumset Warmups" is cool for precision.
+1
Good book, enjoying working from it.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

Mike Mangini's "Rhythm Knowledge" books hurt my brain, literally. His "C&C" methods gave me headaches, but even a little practice made me feel like I was getting somewhere.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Silver Member

All the independence books really build on the same permutations, but explore things from different angles. All the hi-hat variations may not seem useful in an every day context, but if you can go through them slowly while couting and really getting comforable with them, the benefits to your creative possibilites, timing and control are amazing. Take it slow and make it groove. Concentrate first and foremost on developing your ears.

If you haven`t done this much and want a straight forward book, then New Breed 1 is a good place to start.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:27 PM

There some stuff by Alan Dawson (I think) floating around somewhere. Like 1 page of 5 or 6 reading lines with 8 or 9 different ways to play each line- that there is like 6 months of work lol
Old 09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

Thomas Lang's Creative Coordination and Foot Technique. The limb independence exercises are great, in my opinion. If you can find it online, he made a coordination matrix poster.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:19 PM

And of course:

Extreme Interdependence by Marco Minnemann

It will take you a month (well, maybe not) to go through the warm-up pages alone.
Extremely clean layout, but oh so demanding on your co-ordination.

Last edited by JohnRick; 10-17-2011 at 01:52 PM.