DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:01 PM

Default "Drummers are dumb"

Sorry!! But now that I have your attention. (i'm also a drummer btw)

My friend asked me "when did the stereotype that drummers are dumb" start?

I thought it might have been animal from the muppets giving that impression.

Does any one know where it originated from?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: "Drummers are dumb"

yeah, I know, and I'm ugly too...

I have no idea where it started but my guess is it started with a singer. I'm just GENERALIZING from personal experience. And of course not all our fellow musicians think we're dumb.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

Guitarists are egocentrical douchebags, vocalists are wimps in girly outfits and bassists are actually a breed of neanderthals. There, now you got your stereotypical band.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Well it's because, to the untrained, a drummer just sits back there and counts to four. Plus look at rock bands from the past. They didn't do a WHOLE lot compared to the rest of the band so it seemed like all a drummer had to do was keep time. I blame AC/DC and the Rolling Stones, mainly.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
Guitarists are egocentrical douchebags, vocalists are wimps in girly outfits and bassists are actually a breed of neanderthals. There, now you got your stereotypical band.
Yep sounds like you hit the nail right on the head there man. made me laugh.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Gold Member

Actually the Stones' Charlie Watts does a lot more outside of the Stones. It's just their music that made him sort of only a timekeeper.

Yeah, somehow drummers got labeled that way. But I've found through the years that the less somebody knows about music, the bigger thier ego. The more they know about music, the more respect they give the drummer as being an intergral part of the band and the more humbled they are.

The average teenybooper or twentysomething guitar player who has been playing maybe 6 months to a year will think they invented music and have the universe-sized ego. While those of us who have been playing longer are a lot more humble and easier to work with.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
What about keyboard players?

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 02-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass.of.E.r.a. View Post

-Jonathan
Flimsy androgynus persons who has to have 10 stacks of keyboards on top of each other.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 PM

Drums are easy to "play," but very difficult to play well. Anyone who has ever played with a drummer who fills too often, has weak time, and a bad sound (any of this sound familiar?) might be tempted to arrive at this conclusion.

The glut of drummers out there trying to play as fast and loud as possible doesn't help either. Dynamics people!
Vic Firth Sticks
Evans Drumheads
Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 PM
TheArchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMixelpix View Post
Well it's because, to the untrained, a drummer just sits back there and counts to four. Plus look at rock bands from the past. They didn't do a WHOLE lot compared to the rest of the band so it seemed like all a drummer had to do was keep time. I blame AC/DC and the Rolling Stones, mainly.
No, its because too large of a percentage of "drummers" i have come across don't know they are supposed to count to 4.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 PM

Well I think it lends to the stereotype that drummers/percussionists aren't musicians. In this day and I age...I am starting to believe that the majority of drummers in the world are becoming less and less musical. They just look at the small picture and play a groove...not thinking wether or not it compliments their musical setting...or they just bang all over the set when I solo/fill opportunity comes up...instead of using the toms as a melodic tool or listening to fragments of the songs melody and emulating them in the fill/solo to enhance the song. Now...on the other hand...there are many musical drummers out there. Carter Beauford is a great example of a musical drummer. Everything he plays...has a purpose. It isn't just to play it. If that makes sense....
Old 02-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Wii r knot dumm.................
Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

"Intelligence runs in score order" :p

Everybody has their stereotypes. Whoever believes those stereotypes is the stupid one really.

If someone calls me a stupid drummer. I will do two things: Play in 5/4 and/or give him music.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Well those dumb drummers who can or can't count to 4 and fill all day are usually playing along side the 3 cord rock stars - so I guess it's a level playing field.
And yeah Carter Breauford is fantastic but the rest of the band, and the leader, are pretty lucky to have him. That band is pretty MOTR and so are the individual players, apart from Beauford.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 PM
sufc.loyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass.of.E.r.a. View Post

-Jonathan
Keyboard players.

From my experiance, they are people, who mainly play at the back of the band, with the drums, but really want to be up the front, wanting to to look prity, and all cool.

The keyboard player that has played with us for the last year, has an ego, the size of Big Ben, always, turns his keyboard up during a song, so at the end all you can hear and see is a prick playing a keyboard.

He is the sort of pratt that likes to close his eyes while singing the harmonys, why, maybe he thinks he looks cool.

I know that all our wifes that come and surport us, all laugh at him while he does his bit..

I do not like people with big ego,s the only reason that i will take 6 pairs of sticks with me to a gig is so i can play with one set and throw the other 5 pairs at him through out the coarse of the gig.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

I like chocolate cookies. mmmm....
Old 02-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Silver Member

I'd say it's attributed to the fact that we need not know a lot of musical thoery, in repect to chords and scales, which guitar and bass can converse on, leaving us, generaly, out in the cold.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member

I kategoricly raject da steereotipickle noshun that drumerz suffa from an intelektual deafisitt!
Old 02-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

All instrumentalists have jokes made about them.

Why do clarinet players put their instrument cases on their dashboards? So they can use handicapped parking.

What do you call a beautiful woman on a trombone player's arm? A tattoo.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Pioneer Member

Probably from the fact that most drummers know nothing of "music" but only how to play the drum set, yet always want respect from other musicians. That could be it.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89 View Post
Probably from the fact that most drummers know nothing of "music" but only how to play the drum set, yet always want respect from other musicians. That could be it.
Well, but the same could be said of guitar and bass players. Just because you know how to play a D power chord doesn't mean you know jack about music.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

It all started with this man. Our own beloved Concrete Pete.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89 View Post
When we are learning a new tune and the guitarist tells me what key it's in..I laugh! When we practice and someone hits a wrong note I stop and point the stick at him. He knows..and generally no one else noticed. Yet we know nothing of music. Hmm..
Old 02-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Rebel

Because we look at the backsides of the band members.....exemption for a nice looking lass, lady!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I kategoricly raject da steereotipickle noshun that drumerz suffa from an intelektual deafisitt!
Dint Aye say thatt??
Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

Yea, and bass players are smart! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x-ioFCU_Uk

Guitar players and Lead singers are smart.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02t-s...om=PL&index=70
Old 02-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Silver Member

well being a guitar player and singer first and a "sorta" drummer second i see a lot of drummers who really have no skill other then keeping time and beating as many drums as quickly as possible almost as if it was a red headed step child that escaped from the attic. thats kind of upsetting really, like they have no real drive to better themselves or their skill, they find a groove and sit back and get lazy.

but on the other hand i've seen very skilled drummers who actually deserve to be the center of the band and who are the driving force in creating that bands sound. those drummers i have a lot of respect for and deservingly so. wish i could play as well as them at times.

but in all fairness i love poking fun at our drummer and more so the bassist, like replacing the drummers mic with a toilet paper role with a wind screen on it for him to sing in to, stealing the pizza hut magnet off a delivery car and leaving it stuck to the bassists truck door.

i think a lot of "musicians" are dumb in general, many learn a basic rythme and are happy just to repeat the same old thing over and over. it's the ones who actually strive to learn and better their craft that deserve the term "artist"

and just so poke fun at myself a little...

know what you call a lead guitarist/ singer thats NOT dating a stripper?

homeless....
Old 02-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

So it's the drumming that my wife is referring to when she calls me "a bloody idiot"......makes perfect sense now.

For the record, I think Animalbeats and brittc89 are onto something. It may not always be the case, but the perception is there. We don't talk about G minor 7's etc with the rest of the tuned instrument brigade. In fact, I never mentioned, ok I'm going to play a 16th note high hat pattern here, or a triplet fill over this bar, or a paradiddle beat there.....I just played them. So I guess it's easy to think we have no musical knowledge
Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 AM

Umm... its not a stereotype we just are?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
So it's the drumming that my wife is referring to when she calls me "a bloody idiot"......makes perfect sense now.

For the record, I think Animalbeats and brittc89 are onto something. It may not always be the case, but the perception is there. We don't talk about G minor 7's etc with the rest of the tuned instrument brigade. In fact, I never mentioned, ok I'm going to play a 16th note high hat pattern here, or a triplet fill over this bar, or a paradiddle beat there.....I just played them. So I guess it's easy to think we have no musical knowledge
I get a laugh at practice when the guitar players miss a stop. I say, "look! Its 8 measures of chorus, twelve measures of guitar solo, then we stop on the one" They all look at me like I just got off of a space ship!
I may be the Stupid one, But at least I can count!
Old 02-12-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
We don't talk about G minor 7's etc with the rest of the tuned instrument brigade.
I had a few years where I was without a drum kit and took up guitar so I actually can talk about chord progressions and scales.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIMALBEATS View Post
I'd say it's attributed to the fact that we need not know a lot of musical thoery, in repect to chords and scales, which guitar and bass can converse on, leaving us, generaly, out in the cold.
This is very true. Percussion is the only instrument wherein learning actual musical scales is unnecessary. If a drummer DOES know that stuff, it's extracurricular learning. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised at all to know that a number of people on here can't even read the notes on an average clef.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
This is very true. Percussion is the only instrument wherein learning actual musical scales is unnecessary. If a drummer DOES know that stuff, it's extracurricular learning. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised at all to know that a number of people on here can't even read the notes on an average clef.
Not true. If your talking about percussion as all instruments in the percussion section, there is xylophone, marimba, glock, vibes. I play mallet percussion as well as drums and there are definitely are scales to learn for mallets. If you just mean drums then I guess your correct, but not percussion.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_gregory View Post
When we are learning a new tune and the guitarist tells me what key it's in..I laugh! When we practice and someone hits a wrong note I stop and point the stick at him. He knows..and generally no one else noticed. Yet we know nothing of music. Hmm..
Who knows nothing of music? You act like I dont play the drums as well, like Im some form derange music theorists who stalks drum forums. I love that, yet weeee know nothing of music. Hahaha.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:30 AM
Silver Member

One of the guitar players in my band asked how big band jazz is so tight. I replied they all know how to read and count. guitar players talk a big game about chord progressions triads blah blah. But most of them can't read music, so who is dumber.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 02-12-2010, 04:39 AM

I've honestly never heard that drummers are dumb...maybe I should get out more often. I have heard stuff about singers, guitar players, and bassplayers though, which most of what I heard I agree to.

I have heard though that drummers don't have as much talent as the other musicians. All that drummers do is beat on things on time. The worst one i've heard frequently is jazz drummers have it the easiest when it comes to drumming period. "All they do is tap on the big symbal once in a while and drag the stick on the snare"...ignorant fools.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drums101 View Post
Umm... its not a stereotype we just are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBDrummer View Post
I had a few years where I was without a drum kit and took up guitar so I actually can talk about chord progressions and scales.
I'm not trying to be the enemy here men. I'm just calling it from a personal view (which is all I can do). Read my post again......take particular note of " It may not always be the case, but the perception is there". I'm only replying to this post from my own perspective. I don't read music, I have no idea about scales or chord progression. I play drums....that's all. Wasn't trying to tread on anyones toes here.

Quote:
You're looking at one my friend. Perhaps it's people like me that add fuel to the fire with respect to this train of thought? That said, I was never accused of being 'unmusical' in any band I've ever played in.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:37 AM

I think drummers underestimate their knowledge of music theory. Even if they can't write out an Eb diminished scale (or whatever), I think most intuitively hear the relation between chords and harmonic movements embedded within melodies and solo runs.

Which is really more important anyway? Who cares if someone can write scales or spell chords? That's academic, not musical. Isn't it more important to understand the feeling of harmonic tension and release and structure your playing to complement these chordal motions? This is ear-training and aural comprehension, and is essential (in my view) to musical playing.
Vic Firth Sticks
Evans Drumheads
Old 02-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgolfer View Post
Isn't it more important to understand the feeling of harmonic tension and release and structure your playing to complement these chordal motions? This is ear-training and aural comprehension, and is essential (in my view) to musical playing.
That was always my take on it. Hopefully this is not taken as a soft approach to the fact that one can't read. But for mine, I could still express ideas to those who could without a huge degree of difficulty.

Nice post......articulates my feelings well. I have much repsect for those who can read (either charts or sheet music), but for those who don't....there's always a way to make music.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Dint Aye say thatt??
Sorri GeeDii I wuz 2 dum to reelize

Last edited by Pollyanna; 02-12-2010 at 01:04 PM.