DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 05-23-2010, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Drum Studio Project 3.0

HOLY CRAP! That is a beasttly KIT!!!!! and the studio is impressive! Glad you finally got it all done with, cant wait to hear samples :)
Old 05-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Gold Member

WOOOW! That is so awsome. Does any sound come out of your studio or is it completely sound proof? I love your little remark of a midnight practice session by the way. Dream come true I imagine.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
WOOOW! That is so awsome. Does any sound come out of your studio or is it completely sound proof? I love your little remark of a midnight practice session by the way. Dream come true I imagine.
Well, nothing short of a total vacuum or a foot of lead is going to be completely sound proof, but then you really only need "sound proof enough." I haven't yet done any real scientific tests (that will come next week), but I have done a few quick tests in some critical spots.

If you stand on the side of the garage, on the side of our nearest neighbors, you will hear almost nothing... at 2am! During just about any time of day, the ambient noise floor caused by even a gentle breeze overpowers me. Since I have no instruments that can measure audio of such low volume, I can only estimate the total reduction to be roughly -100db.

Standing at the curb, in front of the garage door, you may occasionally feel what seems like the faintest hint of a sonic boom. That is my bass drum and it is the only sound that makes it that far. Cross the street and it's gone.

Stand just inside the door to my house (from the garage) and you hear almost nothing except the pictures in the bathroom adjacent to the studio gently rattling in time to bass or lower toms.

Stand anywhere outside the studio and no cymbals are audible, period.

I played the first night at 2am and didn't even wake up my wife. That's probably the most important test I needed to pass.

Last edited by Brundlefly; 05-23-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: gramar
Old 05-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Congrats on finishing the studio Brundle ! It looks fantastic ! Im anxiously awaiting some sound clips, videos and meter readings.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 PM

words cannot describe how awesome that is. Seriously I can only dream of having something like that one day. Congratulations!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Looks so awesome. I am very very happy for you, B-Fly, and of course INSANELY JEALOUS. I'm definitely going to be stealing your ideas as I prepare to do a drum room in my new house over the next year. Difference being, I'm planning on sinking mine in a concrete basement, which I think is probably the best soundproofing of all. Enjoy!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

damn thats well soundproofed, i want one

also, ive said it before so ill say it again i still cant believe that kit has just one bass drum

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Looks so awesome. I am very very happy for you, B-Fly, and of course INSANELY JEALOUS. I'm definitely going to be stealing your ideas as I prepare to do a drum room in my new house over the next year. Difference being, I'm planning on sinking mine in a concrete basement, which I think is probably the best soundproofing of all. Enjoy!
Thanks! And I'm very glad to hear that my documentation efforts will be of some benefit to someone else. That was the main goal of the blog: to get some information and ideas on this somewhat mysterious subject out to the drumming community.

And yes, basements solve so many problems. Mine would have been a tenth of the cost had I lived in a part of the country where basements are common. Not that I'm complaining. :)
Old 05-24-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbling View Post
damn thats well soundproofed, i want one

also, ive said it before so ill say it again i still cant believe that kit has just one bass drum
Hehe... it does look a little unbalanced, doesn't it? But then where would I put my e-kit?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Silver Member

who needs an e kit :P

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 AM
Platinum Member

Now to get your studio gear set up and treat us to some recordings!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundlefly View Post
Hehe... it does look a little unbalanced, doesn't it? But then where would I put my e-kit?
I have space in my computer room. Just sayin.... :)~
Old 05-24-2010, 07:44 AM

how do you get behind that beast!?!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well, nothing short of a total vacuum or a foot of lead is going to be completely sound proof, but then you really only need "sound proof enough." I haven't yet done any real scientific tests (that will come next week), but I have done a few quick tests in some critical spots.

If you stand on the side of the garage, on the side of our nearest neighbors, you will hear almost nothing... at 2am! During just about any time of day, the ambient noise floor caused by even a gentle breeze overpowers me. Since I have no instruments that can measure audio of such low volume, I can only estimate the total reduction to be roughly -100db.

Standing at the curb, in front of the garage door, you may occasionally feel what seems like the faintest hint of a sonic boom. That is my bass drum and it is the only sound that makes it that far. Cross the street and it's gone.

Stand just inside the door to my house (from the garage) and you hear almost nothing except the pictures in the bathroom adjacent to the studio gently rattling in time to bass or lower toms.

Stand anywhere outside the studio and no cymbals are audible, period.

I played the first night at 2am and didn't even wake up my wife. That's probably the most important test I needed to pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I think al took most of the words out of my mouth..

Congrats on completion...
Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Hey Brundlefly,

Do you have any video of the room in action?

Thanks,
-r
Old 09-25-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvsmb View Post
Hey Brundlefly,

Do you have any video of the room in action?

Thanks,
-r
Woops! Ummm... no. Work got very busy and I've been having too much fun just being able to play to bother with much else. I have made some progress on the mikes and the control room side of things. If work will just let up a bit, I'd have something interesting to show.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And yes, basements solve so many problems. Mine would have been a tenth of the cost had I lived in a part of the country where basements are common. Not that I'm complaining. :)
Unless you were required by law to use said basement as a bomb shelter or something ridiculous...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 09-25-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Unless you were required by law to use said basement as a bomb shelter or something ridiculous...
If it was a bomb shelter filled with drums and there was a cataclysmic event, just think about all those years of uninterrupted practice time...

I'd emerge after years of evading fallout, "Hell yes! I'm now probably the best remaining drummer left alive!" Then Dave Weckl would appear from the rubble and ask, "Hey there, you have a bomb shelter with drums in it too?"
Old 09-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

i just went and read that whole thing last night, what happened to 2.0? you had the first day posted then nothing....
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrae1l View Post
i just went and read that whole thing last night, what happened to 2.0? you had the first day posted then nothing....
2.0 had to be demolished. See "next >" buttons at the bottom. Or...

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 8

Day 10

Day 13

Day 18

Day 25

Day 28

Day of Doom
Old 09-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
If it was a bomb shelter filled with drums and there was a cataclysmic event, just think about all those years of uninterrupted practice time...

I'd emerge after years of evading fallout, "Hell yes! I'm now probably the best remaining drummer left alive!" Then Dave Weckl would appear from the rubble and ask, "Hey there, you have a bomb shelter with drums in it too?"
We actually have a bomb shelter, if it were me and Dave Weckl status post armageddon, I am running round naked in the fallout rain. Or, maybe Weckl would, it is all perspective.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Gold Member

Brundlefly, I love your step by step blog and my heart bleeds for you that you had to tear it down. I'm building a studio for a friend (built my own already) and love to study everybody's idea on how to best soundproof.

What's your next plan? You still have some raw materials that are usable after the tear down.
billbachman.net
Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBachman View Post
Brundlefly, I love your step by step blog and my heart bleeds for you that you had to tear it down. I'm building a studio for a friend (built my own already) and love to study everybody's idea on how to best soundproof.

What's your next plan? You still have some raw materials that are usable after the tear down.
Oh, we rebuilt it alright. Bigger, stronger, faster... we had the technology (although, the budget took a bit of a hit along the way). The coverage of the rebuild starts here and ends here.

It came out pretty flipping awesome in the end. I got a massive reduction, a nice internal sound and a pretty flexible space overall. And one of these days when my work life mellows out (I'm on the ninth year of the third longest video game production in the history of video games), I'll start recording stuff so that others can hear the results. One of these days...

Anyway, the Studio 3.0 blog coverage is worth a look-see. Lots of details and the design is pretty beefy.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 AM

I've been lurking for a while. First things first. Awesome kit and studio. Hopefully when I have some money one day I can make a room like that. Also - What videogame are you working on (if you're allowed to say, that is)
Old 06-14-2011, 11:39 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

I'm going to guess Duke Nukem Forever or something from the 'Elite' series...
Old 06-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

BF, when you get time, I would suggest experimenting with mic placement with the internals. I took the time and found they (and the drums) sound best when pointed at the bottom heads...

Good luck...
Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 PM

You need 2 parking spaces on your own ground in a street like this??? It doesn't look overly crowded to me!

Anyway, great it finally turned out fine. Thanks for posting all details and pictures, I'll bookmark your blog for future reference as I expect to be building my own studio in the future as well.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I'm going to guess Duke Nukem Forever or something from the 'Elite' series...
Diablo III. If it had been Duke Nukem, I would have stuck a plastic knife in my eye before it hit the five year mark.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
You need 2 parking spaces on your own ground in a street like this??? It doesn't look overly crowded to me!
And it isn't, not even remotely so. I live in an area where house has six parking spaces and most households have two cars. But this is the OC where housewives have nothing better to do than complain about someone parking a car on the street or a garage door that has been left open for more than 15 minutes.... or that the spinners on their Escaldes aren't shiny enough.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And it isn't, not even remotely so. I live in an area where house has six parking spaces and most households have two cars. But this is the OC where housewives have nothing better to do than complain about someone parking a car on the street or a garage door that has been left open for more than 15 minutes.... or that the spinners on their Escaldes aren't shiny enough.
lol sounds like some of the people down my road. Luckily there isn't any more space to force people to build garages on.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 06-14-2011, 07:34 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Diablo III. If it had been Duke Nukem, I would have stuck a plastic knife in my eye before it hit the five year mark.
Good thing too, based on the reviews I've been reading. I thought 'DNF' stood for 'Did Not Finish'. Now I'm thinking they shouldn't have even started...

Diablo III isn't so much my thing, but it looks good!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:59 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for this great post, it is too long to comprehend and soak up tonight, but I will definitely return to read in detail. I built a room in my basement, and it is pretty decent, but there are some easy things I missed and could have done if I had planned it out a little better instead of my typical, "just start building and plan as I go" style.