DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Default Seeking the truth behind Batter heads/Resonant heads

So I have been doing alot of reading on drum heads.Apparently top of the line Remo and Evans heads are the way to go,and you can walk in blindfolded,and pick them out,and have the right heads....now with that said,what is the truth behind drum heads?

I have played guitar for almost 30 years now,and know now,that you can toss anything short of a set of rubber bands on the instrument,and it will sound good.OK thats not exactly true,but you get the picture.There is so many companies that produce strings now,in so many forms,gauges,coatings and so on,and of course ,Prices.
Every new player,wants to sound great.So they buy the 10 dollar strings,but they dont actually do anything that the 3 dollar strings cant do as well.

The question really is,do you need 100 dollars of Evans resonant heads,and 100 dollars of Remo pinstripes ,on your 6 piece set?
Or
Is there that 35 dollar set,(equivalent to that 3 dollar set of strings)that does exactly what you need it to.
I am not trying to find the thriftiest way out,just trying to get an idea,of where the line is from "thats a good head"....and "thats overkill"

Also,when it comes to resonant heads,is there any myth to them?Meaning,if you took a cheap set of batter heads,would you get the same result,and the majority of the higher end resonant heads(using them as resonant)?

sorry about the essay.I try and take kids aside,who are interested in guitar,and point them in the right direction as far as the only string they need to buy,and Amps as well.The kids will buy 6 cheap amps,before they realize to get a good tube amp.
I know its a freshman "gotta get your feet wet" thing,and each ear is his or her own to decide,but in this day and age,with money harder to come by,it nice to hear from the wise,to avoid saying later,"if I only knew then,what I know now"

Thanks for the help
Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Seeking the truth behind Batter heads/Resonant heads

All heads are definitely not created equal and resonant heads are every bit as important as the batter heads are.

Also, don't buy any heads from any manufacturer without inspecting them, especially Remo.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

In keeping with your comparison between guitar strings and drum heads:

With a guitar, the sound is combination of the guitar itself, the strings, the pick ups, the amp, the speaker cabinet, any pedals or other effects.

With drums, the sound is the combination of the head and shell.

So while a guitar has 6 main elements, a drum has two main elements.
(obviously, the acoustics of the room, tuning, and microphones and EQ and such are also at play, but those are traits common to both instruments).

And thus, yes, the drum head is that important to the sound.

A cheap drum heads will make any kit sound cheap.
Good drum heads can make a cheap drum sound great.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

The heads that come with most entry level and intermediate kits are the worst that you can get. Fortunately you can't buy them! They are only made by manufacturers for drum companies. You can only go up from the stock heads in most cases.
The old timeless stand by is the Ambassador and Emperor series or the equivalents that manufacturers other than Remo produce.
Most heads are based on the Remo Amb/Dip format. The manufacturers add things to that basic design to make subtle differences.
Find the heads that you like and follow your heart so to speak.
You will try many different kinds before you find your favs.
Experiment and have fun.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

where I live rmv heads are much cheapper than remo and evans and they are as good as them (all three are made of the same material : mylar dupond)
Old 02-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bog_72 View Post

I have played guitar for almost 30 years now,and know now,that you can toss anything short of a set of rubber bands on the instrument,and it will sound good.OK thats not exactly true,but you get the picture.There is so many companies that produce strings now,in so many forms,gauges,coatings and so on,and of course ,Prices.
Every new player,wants to sound great.So they buy the 10 dollar strings,but they dont actually do anything that the 3 dollar strings cant do as well.
dude....have you played Elixers ? : ) )

or Boomers ? : )

or Black Diamonds ? : ((((((((((((((
Old 02-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bog_72 View Post
now with that said,what is the truth behind drum heads?

The question really is,do you need 100 dollars of Evans resonant heads,and 100 dollars of Remo pinstripes ,on your 6 piece set?
Or
Is there that 35 dollar set,(equivalent to that 3 dollar set of strings)that does exactly what you need it to.
I am not trying to find the thriftiest way out,just trying to get an idea,of where the line is from "thats a good head"....and "thats overkill"

Also,when it comes to resonant heads,is there any myth to them?
1. The truth, as has already been mentioned, is that heads matter - a lot. Leaving factory reso heads on a mid-level kit is as much of a mistake as leaving the factory batters on.

2. As bobdadruma pointed out, there are just a couple basic varieties for heads, with variations. I would break them down along the lines of a) single ply b) double-ply c) factory muffled.

I think a single-ply clear unmuffled head on the reso (like a Remo Ambassador, or Evans G1), and single or double-ply batter (Remo Emperor, or Evans G2 coated or clear) will make 99% of kits sing out like they should.

3. I don't know about overkill. There aren't really any "gold-plated" heads that I'm aware of that are all cost, no benefit. In fact, I'm not even aware of any good heads that deviate from "normal" by more than 5 or 10 percent.

That said, I would put factory-muffled heads in the overkill/unnecessary category simply because I want to be able to control the amount of muffling on my heads by using bits of moongels or duct tape. I don't muffle my heads, generally, but when I do, I want it to be me that's controlling how much, and not the factory.

You wouldn't buy pre-muffled guitar strings, would you?