DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-01-2010, 06:24 AM

Default Cymbal stand weights

Hey Crew,

Stupid question, but I could use some advice here.

I have a few boom cymbal stands that I adjust for the highest reach and angles, and two of them have large, heavy cymbals on them. (Like Sabian 20" They seem to be kind of precarious balance-wise, and I've used various types of eights on the legs (a drumstick with two 5-pound weights) a crappy looking sand bag, and a nice velvet bag with lead buckshot in it.

Fore reasons of room and appearance, I don't add anything (counter-weight wise) on the outside upper parts of the boom stands, as I haven't found anything that looks near professional looking.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
C. P.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Cymbal stand weights

If you go to a photography store they sell black sand saddlebags for boom stands that are really nice black cordura with velcro enclosures and d-rings and a nylon handle. They usually go for around 30 bucks.

Other than that you can buy a boom with a counterweight already on it, or a heavy duty stand. I use the DW 9000 booms and they weight close to 13 lbs on their own. I've never had one tip on me, but if you already have stands that you like you can get the sand bags.

The only other option I can think of is taping the stand to the ground but that might not be the best option.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 PM
audiotech

Default Re: Cymbal stand weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Pete View Post
Hey Crew,

Stupid question, but I could use some advice here.

I have a few boom cymbal stands that I adjust for the highest reach and angles, and two of them have large, heavy cymbals on them. (Like Sabian 20" They seem to be kind of precarious balance-wise, and I've used various types of eights on the legs (a drumstick with two 5-pound weights) a crappy looking sand bag, and a nice velvet bag with lead buckshot in it.

Fore reasons of room and appearance, I don't add anything (counter-weight wise) on the outside upper parts of the boom stands, as I haven't found anything that looks near professional looking.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
C. P.
Just make sure the weight (cymbal) is positioned above and over one of the outstretched legs of the stand. This will better balance the cymbal's load. That being said, I always have a variety of light and medium weight sand bags when the need arises.

Dennis
Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 AM

Default Cymbal stand weights

I never used weights outside the 0..1 range so far but if they make sense for a real world application, we can add support for them. We could add an engine option which determines if morpher weights should be clamped or really just remove the clamping altogether.

MistaED wrote: