DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-31-2010, 07:05 PM

Default Can Can anyone recommend a good practice kit (pads)

Well the title says it all. I'm currently using a bass drum pad from Pearl, and I find it a bit difficult to play on it, specially at higher speeds. Not quite sure what model it is as it doesnt say on the pad, and i threw away the box it came in a while ago. I play a double pedal model DW 7002 on this pad, and 9002 (awesome pedals) on the real kit which is stationed in my bands practice room. The surface on the pad is nowhere near a realistic feel, as it is extremely hard. Almost like playing against a brick wall....

Is this good in any way? Is it suppose to be like that so that you get better when you sit down on a real kit? Cause obviously I can play alot smoother and faster on the real kit. Still, it's frustrating..
It also makes a lot of noise, and cause of that i get alot of complaints from my neighbours and my roommates.

So, is there anyone out there that can recommend me a good practice set, or just a pad for the bassdrum? My local shop can order pretty much anything for me, but they don't have it in store so I am not able to try it out before puirchase. Pretty lame yeahh...
I've been thinking about getting the "DW Go Anywhere Practice Kit". Does anyone have any experience with this kit?
Basically I am looking for a good kit, that doesn't make unessecary much noise like the one i currently have.

For the record, I am playing a hardcore/metal style, which includes alot of fast doublebass patterns and breakdowns etc etc...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Can Can anyone recommend a good practice kit (pads)

The only thing I don't like about the DW Go Anywhere kit is the awkward positioning of some of the pads due to the "tree" design. Check out the Remo practice kit, which is about $20 more:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Remo-5-P...42-i1137025.gc

I think it's more adjustable and feels a little more natural. At least it did for me.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-GBDP.../dp/B0002F73KI. Although mine is a local drum store brand. Whilst it ain't the same as a kick drum, there is some give on the beater surface and I liked it better than the Pearl model for this reason.

The type you have can be used very successfully though as demo'd here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltd4VJQEvjA
Old 02-01-2010, 04:48 PM

That Remo kit looks pretty sweet, thanks for the tips
Old 02-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmddrummer View Post
I've been thinking about getting the "DW Go Anywhere Practice Kit". Does anyone have any experience with this kit?
Its kick pad is even harder and louder than the Pearl one. Plain hard rubber on a metal plate.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Its kick pad is even harder and louder than the Pearl one. Plain hard rubber on a metal plate.
Tnx for letting me know man! :)
I don't need more complaints from neighbours so... hehe