DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Default Oak : my new standard

Regardless of technique and mellowness, I always ended up breaking hickory - some more than others, but it usually always happened. I have used Vic Firth, Vater, and Pro Mark. All of their hickory sticks broke on me!

I decided to try oak to see if anything would change. So since I liked the feel of Pro Mark the best, I went with a Shira Kashi 5A and it lasted me 2x or 3x as long. I was *trying* to break it but couldn't. Finally it did break. In the time it takes me to go through 5 pairs of hickory, I'm still on my 1st or 2nd pair of Oak.

Fast, strong, sturdy, toneful. I love it! If you have problems breaking hickory, I believe oak will help you a lot. If you have problems breaking oak consistently, well then you might have issues! ^_^
Old 01-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Oak : my new standard

I fully agree!! I use the same sticks and love them. I still have the first pair I bought a year ago. They have chips but only where I rimshot and one other pair I have just started chipping at the tip. Oak may cost more than hickory but it is surely made up for.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM

Oak makes my hands and wrists hurt.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilkay View Post
Me too. The wood is so dense (5A oak is much heavier than a 5A hickory) that it takes a tighter grip to keep control of them and I always end up with blisters. I don't break as many sticks as I used to anyway - they wear down on the taper or the wood tips split apart first.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilkay View Post
me,3. I dunno, but it seems like I get more vibrations transferred to my hands with these sticks. Too rigid I guess. And, IME these sticks split rather than wear down like hickory does for me. But, I do tend to wear down sticks more on cymbals rather than break them.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 PM

Oak will no doubt transfer vibrations a lot stronger than hickory. This can cause premature fatigue in the hands and wrists. I have grown to love oak sticks. The initial switch can be unpleasant, but once you get comfortable with oak sticks, you won't want to go back to hickory. I love maple sticks for ultra quiet passages, where you need to feel everything.

I swear to god you can feel every tonal groove and hammer mark in a cymbal while using a maple stick. They allow you to have some great control and command over the entire kit while playing quiet less physical demanding passages.