DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-24-2010, 05:26 AM

Default Case for transporting electronic kit / Trap equip

Hi, I'm new to this board and forum. My name is Dave I'm 49 and I've been playing off and on for about 42 years. I was playing quite a bit in groups between 90-2004. But in 2000 I had a serious back surgery, my 3rd and a neck surgery. I continued to play but was lucky to own a photo studio that also served as our practice studio. Therefore I didn't have to move my kit other than to gigs. I finally had to give it all up in May of 2005 due to chronic pain. Just recently through some help from a medical massage therapist I've decided to try to get back out there. I have a 5 piece Premier kit with HD premier & Gibraltar hardware. I found out this week it hurts a lot to move the kit and set it up, but not so bad to play.

I have a couple of questions. What's the easiest way to pack and move the hardware? Is it best to put it in multiple bags?

Also for practice and smaller gigs I may use my electronic kit. Right now it consist of an Alesis DM Pro module with rubber pads. I plan on adding mesh heads for at least the snare, and will probably still use my real cymbals. What is a good way to transport and electronic kit?

Final question how good for practice / small gigs are the portable acoustic kits, the ones with short shells? Thanks much, Dave

btw type of music is classic rock but not heavy metal

Last edited by Spiney; 01-24-2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Wasn't finished with message
Old 01-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Case for transporting electronic kit / Trap equip

I hope your health continues to improve. You might look for solutions where you pull rather than lift the case. Also, smaller cases will probably keep the weight down. If you think outside of the box (pun intended) you might find innovative solutions at your hardware store. You might also downsize your kit (including hardware; you can find lightweight stands).

Best wishes

GJS
Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

could use a protection racket case i use them for my acoustic drum and since your in the uk too i have a uk site which wells them :)

http://wembleydrumcentre.com/Catalog...-Case-ELECTRO1

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

I think it all depends on how much you want to set up and take down. I was overseas for a year and had an Electronic Kit. When I shipped it home, I bought a plastic tuff box, not even a big one. The box had wheels. I was amazed at how it fit. If you hand carry the frame, the pads and pedals fit easily into the box. Lots of great choices out there. I guess the more containers you use, the less it will weigh and less threat for a re curring back injury. Great to hear you are on the mend.

John
Old 01-26-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbling View Post
could use a protection racket case i use them for my acoustic drum and since your in the uk too i have a uk site which wells them :)

http://wembleydrumcentre.com/Catalog...-Case-ELECTRO1
+1 for this case. I have one and it's well made, but it can still get heavy when it's loaded with gear. I use two heavy duty stands,
but I also hang a tom of of one of them and use additional cymbal arms & clamps to keep from carrying extra stands.
It also helps to break the load down into two smaller hardware cases if you can. I also use a Rock-n-Roller cart
to load in and out with. It really helps if you have a long distance from your vehicle to the stage.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 AM

Thank you all for the replies and the encouragement. That case looks like the ticket. I'm here in the USA not the UK, but thanks for posting that link. I'll look state side for one.

aaajn: could you post a picture of the rolling tote you use. It may be similar to one I used in my Photo business, That one came from Sears, it was a Craftsman, For the acoustic hardware it wouldn't hold the them, too small. But possibly something like a rolling golf bag would. Before I got injured I had a Gibraltar case that held all of my hardware, but with all of it in one case it was quite heavy.

Thanks again, I'm glad I found this forum. Spiney-Dave

Last edited by Spiney; 01-26-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Referenced wrong name
Old 01-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Hey SD, sorry, not near a camera or a decent internet connection. It was called Gorilla Case I believe, just a basic black footlocker, which by the way is USPS mail able.

John